U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 04:34 PM

10,416 posts, read 7,500,235 times

Advertisements

Sub (you old Swamp Yankee) do you barter with the hogs or can you sell them? Do you butcher? I'm guessing no. I have to say I'm super impressed. Also, prayers for your health.
I waffle about where to retire. I keep feeling the Carolinas. New England is beautiful but if I develop a tendency to wander off later in life I don't want to be any place I can freeze to death nor get eaten by alligators.
I'm in desert right now. The dirt and lack of trees is underwhelming.
OP you say you want to live without electric and water, etc. Have you considered becoming Amish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 06:48 PM

5,496 posts, read 8,177,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post

Re: code enforcement. I have dealt with my share of Code Nazis. However, they aren't always evil monsters, and in the right setting, they keep homeowners from damaging streams or creating other problems that directly impact their neighbors. Your goal isn't so much to find an area that zoning forgot (difficult to do!) but to find an area that meets your homesteading requirements and has "reasonable" local authorities.

There's no point in putting in hundreds of hours and dollars into a piece of land that isn't going to pay you back, and there are pieces that have no zoning/building codes for a good reason: they are basically uninhabitable.
What were your words?

Oh yes: epic fail.

Rerouting streams is not building code, that's federal in most (all?) Cases.

I live in an area with no building codes. My house is built BETTER than (if there were) codes.

There is no such thing as "reasonable" so long as I'm not harming anyone else's property (toxic dump etc)

It's MY DAMN LAND.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:55 PM

29,738 posts, read 47,539,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Sub (you old Swamp Yankee) do you barter with the hogs or can you sell them? Do you butcher? I'm guessing no. I have to say I'm super impressed. Also, prayers for your health.
I have bartered hogs. My Dw took a butchering course, she loves butchering!

The last 5 or 6 pigs we took to a meat processor so the pork is all USDA inspected and legal for retail. We have four chest freezers loaded with retail pork ready for market.

Thanks, I made it through 45 radiation treatments for my cancer this summer. I am still in the middle of the hormone therapy that goes along with the radiation.

Quote:
... I waffle about where to retire. I keep feeling the Carolinas. New England is beautiful but if I develop a tendency to wander off later in life I don't want to be any place I can freeze to death nor get eaten by alligators.
I'm in desert right now. The dirt and lack of trees is underwhelming.
OP you say you want to live without electric and water, etc. Have you considered becoming Amish?
I do not like water shortages, that was a high priority for me.

I figure it is easier to make warmth than it is to make cool.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:36 PM

22,749 posts, read 21,804,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
That's all nice, but it pretty much only covers what one skilled person can do - which means you're going to need a doctor with shoes when it comes to x-rays, MRIs, chemotherapy, major surgery... or, I guess, you can die like traditional homesteaders of yore, of "consumption" and "fever" and "tumors."

Which, IMHO, completely and totally moots what you said above, and (if I may be politely honest) is a big part of why I roll my eyes at people who buy a piece o' land way out inta boonies and pretend to be homesteading or off the grid or roughing it.

Even the homesteaders had Sears, Roebuck, who didn't take chickens in trade for the endless number of things needed for a "simple life." Most people are probably not willing to give up nearly all of modern healthcare to go with a "barefoot doctor" - or, more likely, they'll be fine with it and crow about their independence until that big lump comes up on their jaw or they start passing blood.

Having lifetime maximum healthcare coverage on demand makes prattle about off-the-grid doctoring a leetle bit nonsensical and misleading, doesn't it? Maybe when we all have it, the options will open up. (You fully earned yours, but not everyone has that option.)
My son didn't have any health insurance for five years because he couldn't afford it. Thankfully, he was young and didn't get sick very often. He would have loved to be seen by one of those less expensive doctors.

Old 10-21-2018, 11:22 AM

16,266 posts, read 7,130,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
These days I am thinking about living low cost on an off-grid homestead. Lower cost by not having electric, water, sewer, etc. Also, living in an area without building code enforcement so I build/live in a rickety container type home.

Maybe, even try save more money by substance farming and keep chickens, goats, etc.

The question really how much will this cost? Will farming/ranch feed end up costing a lot more $$ than saving?

Anyone ever tried this? Or anyone put together costs associated with this type of lifestyle.
Lots of info out there. Try Backwoods Home Magazine | Practical ideas for self-reliant living - it’s no longer being published, but they are keeping the website up.

How much money you need to live this way depends entirely on the area you are intending to live in and your desired standard of living, but it’s safe to say that the best growing land is not cheap, so you will have to substitute with A LOT of hard labor. AND you need to know what you’re doing. If you don’t love the work itself, you won’t be particularly good at it, and you’ll burn out from spending all your waking hours doing something you don’t like. The thing is, if you were seriously interested in this kind of life, you’d already know enough about it to not have to ask here! And that’s not even talking about the capital investment required to buy land.

And keep in mind that you can’t earn money by selling your production if you have to buy your supplies retail.

I actually think the cheapest way to live for most folks is in a small city in a tiny apartment or single room without a car.

The cheapest option is to go completely houseless. I know one person who makes a living for herself by house/pet sitting. She owns a small car and about 4 suitcases of personal effects. She stays in the house while people are on vacation and also charges about $30/day. She gets her jobs via word of mouth, because she is completely reliable. I knew another person who traveled around the country with his backpack, usually hitchhiking, but sometimes via bus/train, staying with friends and family. He had a regular circuit, would arrive at an opportune time to help his host with whatever they needed, and never stayed longer than a week so as not to wear out his welcome. I met him through a friend of mine who was his second cousin. He timed his annual visit with her to coincide with walnut harvest, because there were quite a few walnut trees in our town. He would knock on doors and ask permission to clean up their yard in exchange for the walnuts, which they were often just thrilled to have him do. He’d harvest and clean the walnuts, then sell them. In addition, he’d help her out in any way he could. Then he’d move on to do help someone different with something else. He could do simple mechanical work and woodworking, plus he was just a willing worker.

Then there’s vehicle dwelling. Check out www.cheaprvliving.com Pay special attention to the video interviews of people who are doing it.

Last edited by jacqueg; 10-21-2018 at 11:42 AM..

Old 10-21-2018, 11:35 AM

3,084 posts, read 1,045,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My son didn't have any health insurance for five years because he couldn't afford it. Thankfully, he was young and didn't get sick very often. He would have loved to be seen by one of those less expensive doctors.
I was uninsured for years in my 20s as well and fortunately had only a few minor needs.

Which has nothing too much to do with this discussion, which is more that if you have a solid financial+medical base, you can live an "alternative" life with vastly less worry and only as much inconvenience as you choose.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:55 PM

635 posts, read 2,501,105 times
Lot of good information!

Unfortunately, it sounds like the best option is to continue living in regular metro from what I have heard here.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:33 PM

11,409 posts, read 6,453,753 times
Buy a cheap house in a low cost but somewhat in demand area...mortgage and everything might be $650/month. Get married and split all expenses. Proceed to rent one of the bedrooms to someone for $500. Then start doing extreme couponing so you can get most of your food almost free. Pay cash for a cheap car...maybe share one with wife. Bam - you’re almost living free. Probably easier than homesteading anyway.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:48 PM

3,084 posts, read 1,045,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Get married and split all expenses.
"I now pronounce you Roommate and Roommate."

Old 10-26-2018, 07:00 PM

5,496 posts, read 8,177,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Lot of good information!

Unfortunately, it sounds like the best option is to continue living in regular metro from what I have heard here.
Why?

I'm curious how you came to that conclusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living