U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 08:51 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,783,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Buy a cheap house in a low cost but somewhat in demand area...mortgage and everything might be $650/month. Get married and split all expenses. Proceed to rent one of the bedrooms to someone for $500. Then start doing extreme couponing so you can get most of your food almost free. Pay cash for a cheap car...maybe share one with wife. Bam - you’re almost living free. Probably easier than homesteading anyway.
I would caution against too much "couponing" due to this practice funneling and limiting your food choices, many of which may be unhealthy or of low quality. Better to invest in a good cutting board and quality knives and get real fast an efficient at chopping/slicing/dicing fruits and vegetables.

Hummus, organic salad greens, fruits, veggies are cheap and healthy. Buy a whole roasting chicken and cook it yourself along with several baked potatoes. It will last you all week. There's more, but you get the idea.

Your future self and your doctor will thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 09:12 PM

13,129 posts, read 9,217,004 times
Study guerrilla lawfare.
Investigate your state constitution and statutes regarding inhabitants domiciled upon private property, absolutely owned by an individual.
You should find that there are no taxes nor regulations that pertain to private property, an endowed right. Whereas qualified ownership of estate ("real estate" "real property") has ad valorem taxes and such. Ask the public servants to explain the difference. (chuckle)

Recapping : you do not want to be a resident residing at a residence, as a duly enumerated 'human resource' (via FICA).

You want to be a non-resident inhabitant permanently domiciled within the boundaries of your particular state, with all your Creator endowed rights intact. That should reduce your need for money.

Old 10-26-2018, 09:16 PM

16,797 posts, read 20,576,939 times
I lived on 2 acres in WA back around 1990 - 1995, and lived on around $700/month.

You just work with what you have, and if there isn't money for something, you sell something. You make every decision based on your budget. It's kind of hit and miss, but you have to be someone who is capable of being extremely frugal - someone who can think - boy, I'd love some avocados to make sandwiches with - but, you would break your saving goal if you bought some - so, you live without them. You have to be the kind of person who can make a goal and stick with it - even if it means using paper towels instead of toilet paper - if you have a stash of paper towels and are already at the max for this month's budget, etc.

Or have your coffee without milk, because you've already maxed out the grocery budget, etc. Or hand wash your clothes, because you don't have money for laundry, etc.

So, can you do that? Can you be okay with living with those types of limitations? And think of it as a game, almost - so it's not depressing? If so, sure.

I can do this. But, not everyone can. I was able to buy a couple acres when people who had more money couldn't - because I could scrimp and save. And, then I scrimped and saved and put in a well and electricity, etc., and eventually sold that property at a nice profit.

So, sure, you can live on almost nothing, if that includes enough money to keep your property (taxes, mortgage, etc.). Then, figure out how to manage with what you have after that.

One thing I did was I raised two pigs every year. I sold one, which covered the cost for the other one, as far as butcher cost, etc. So, I was able to basically eat organic pork for free. I got free feed from a local organic soy factory - where they used soy beans for their food products, and gave away the soy bean hulls. There was also a local tortilla factory that gave away free tortillas that were messed up, like they weren't perfectly round, etc. I could also get free milk for my pigs from a grocery store, and a pizza parlor gave me their leftover pizzas for my pigs.

So, you just hustle. It can be done. If you enjoy that kind of thing, like I did, it can be fun, although, it's still a lot of work.

But, if you can't handle lots of hard work - including growing a garden, etc., then it would never work for you. You should also learn how to preserve food, like canning, drying, freezing. If you learn to can or dry food, you don't need electricity like you do if you need freezers. I still can food, even though I live in Silicon Valley now. I just canned up about 2 dozen jars of squash I got for free from a local food bank.

Know, too, that if you're super low income, you can get free food, too. There are food giveaways everywhere in the U.S. In rural areas, you can get free USDA surplus foods, which include meat and cheese and other commodities, etc.

So, yes, it can be done. It's not the easy life, but it can be fun.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:53 PM

3,273 posts, read 1,952,420 times
galaxyhi beat me to it -- there are lots of Youtube videos about this very topic. Watch a bunch of them by different people, so you can get a sense of what is involved in doing what you want to do. Read some old Mother Earth News magazines, too.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,835 posts, read 37,517,121 times
first:
  • find your climate (for yr round gardening)
  • WATER!!! (a MUST!)
  • then low taxes
  • low building code requirements
  • NO HOA!!!

Then start your shopping... (I usually DIG for properties and find and buy stuff that is NOT listed for sale (no realtors) just ONE buyer, ONE seller and CASH!

Try to find a legally placed but trashed home / mobile home on acreage. (water / power / road / fences / septic will all be installed)... that will save you $50k.
rent a dozer for a weekend ($500) demolish the home

Clear a spot for a shop with apartment and nearby RV hook-ups
Build shop (6 weeks) (Add a side 'greenhouse')
Use 'annualized solar' for heat (greenhouse and apartment)

Rent out the RV spot to a person who can help you garden.

You end up living in the shop for free.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:44 PM

3,084 posts, read 1,045,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Then start your shopping...
Should be easy, since you've limited the range to the most rural areas of the three or four poorest states.

Quote:
You end up living in the shop for free.
I note you just sort of skip over the cost of building the "shop." Why not just dig out a property with bridge, and you can live under it even more cheaply.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Should be easy, since you've limited the range to the most rural areas of the three or four poorest states.

I note you just sort of skip over the cost of building the "shop." Why not just dig out a property with bridge, and you can live under it even more cheaply.
I have done it several times in WA, CO, TX (not exactly the 'poor' states) Great wages too!
All my props I put on Paved public roads, no more than 20 min to shopping and a college and <1 hr to international airport. I have my stds.. (since I plan to resell)

Cost of building the shop?

yes... there is a parable about 'counting ALL the costs' BEFORE you even consider a project.

Assumed... OP has a 'little dough' (or sources to get dough). I used my 'margin accounts' for the first 20 yrs doing this. (Very low interest BANK... no fees ) Bonus if you can get owner financing or have a retired friend that would like to make 2x MM rates with direct deposits and RE collateral.

btw, I have built shops with apts for <$20k, at the moment they are costing me ~$36k (Steel tariffs). but I don't do 'small' shops . 28x36 is my 'right size' (With 14 - 16 ft eaves for a loft).

Need more hand-holding?... just ask. I have helped many 'apprentices' and am a lifelong educator and learner. One of my 'wage slave friends now does this with over 80 homes / properties / yr and has a staff of 12. (Yes... we are JOB creators!)

Skeptical... ?

When you have been building passive solar low cost homes and using free fuel for 40+ yrs, it seems 'natural'.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:59 PM

These days I am thinking about living low cost on an off-grid homestead. Lower cost by not having electric, water, sewer, etc. Also, living in an area without building code enforcement so I build/live in a rickety container type home. Don't waste the effort. You LIVE in this place, make it nice (for you and for future buyers)

Maybe, even try save more money by substance farming and keep chickens, goats, etc. Chickens and goats have been OK, but not CHEAP / moneymakers... chickens are best, hogs #2

The question really how much will this cost? Will farming/ranch feed end up costing a lot more $$ than saving? beyond mortgage / ins / taxes... (fixed costs that vary by location) <$500 / month for supplies / low cost living (My (full) elect is $40 and food $100 (for 2), fuel = ZERO (can run a Diesel genset to heat my floors on FREE fuel as well + make Elect while warming the house) + Tractor, dozer, cars, trucks all like free fuel.

Anyone ever tried this? Or anyone put together costs associated with this type of lifestyle.

<$100k (shop + land) in areas that cost $40k for 5 acres (don't pay 'market rates' for properties!!!) Buy a junker house / acreage with FREE well / power / driveway / septic. Starting new... add up to $100k, but likely <$50k. If you can do it yourself (Dozer / septic / grading / ...)
Nice view / south facing lot is REQUIRED by me (EZ resell)

Old 10-29-2018, 04:21 AM

31 posts, read 8,134 times
this idea is eco-friendly and also will save you nearly 50% of the earlier expenditure.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:49 AM

29,738 posts, read 47,539,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
[i]These days I am thinking about living low cost on an off-grid homestead. Lower cost by not having electric, water, sewer, etc.
We have solar power for our home. Solar panels end up being a fairly expensive source of electricity.

In our experience, living rural is a lot less expensive than living urban was. But our decision to use solar power has been one of our bigger expenses.

Quote:
... Maybe, even try save more money by substance farming and keep chickens, goats, etc. Chickens and goats have been OK, but not CHEAP / moneymakers... chickens are best, hogs #2
I do not know what a moneymaker is, we have raised chickens, turkeys, goats, sheep, and pigs. None of them made any money.

However, raising pigs has been the least expensive livestock for us.

Quote:
... Anyone ever tried this? Or anyone put together costs associated with this type of lifestyle.
A lot of people are doing it. The 'back-to-land' movement is strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living