Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 04:21 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times

Advertisements

I’m wondering if it’s possible for one to accept what they have at a given point (assuming all of life’s basic needs are met) and be as happy as someone that has much nicer things and possibly wants more? Is it possible that happiness can really be a state of mind and lifestyle creep can almost totally be avoided? Life seems very vibrant when you can find enjoyment in the simplest of things or if you can reconnect with the enjoyment those simple things once brought you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 04:47 PM

1,304 posts, read 855,271 times
First, let me say I love your user name! And yes, it is DEFINITELY possible to be happy with what you have. On another thread somewhere I discussed this issue. Started out like many when I was young wanting more and more and better and better stuff. Now, preparing for a move in retirement, most of that precious stuff has been sold, given away or donated. Stuff does not matter and accumulating it is certainly NOT the key to happiness. Yes, one needs food/shelter/clothing, but not a whole lot more. Right now, what little I have left is boxed up. I kept out dishes/pots/pans/silverware (gotta eat!), have beds, sofa, TV and stereo...missing only my books..those that I am taking and didn't sell or donate....thinking back to when I moved out on my own at age 20....took my bed, chest of drawers, clothes, some books, stereo/records. A few pots/pans/dishes, etc that my mom packed up for me. Everything I owned fit in the back of a pickup truck. Some of the happiest times of my life. Friends, lovers, pets, nature, wine, good books and music are what really counts! Some might say travel/experiences. But stuff........low down on the list. Good topic for discussion. Looking forward to what others think.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:12 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Yes.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
First, let me say I love your user name! And yes, it is DEFINITELY possible to be happy with what you have. On another thread somewhere I discussed this issue. Started out like many when I was young wanting more and more and better and better stuff. Now, preparing for a move in retirement, most of that precious stuff has been sold, given away or donated. Stuff does not matter and accumulating it is certainly NOT the key to happiness. Yes, one needs food/shelter/clothing, but not a whole lot more. Right now, what little I have left is boxed up. I kept out dishes/pots/pans/silverware (gotta eat!), have beds, sofa, TV and stereo...missing only my books..those that I am taking and didn't sell or donate....thinking back to when I moved out on my own at age 20....took my bed, chest of drawers, clothes, some books, stereo/records. A few pots/pans/dishes, etc that my mom packed up for me. Everything I owned fit in the back of a pickup truck. Some of the happiest times of my life. Friends, lovers, pets, nature, wine, good books and music are what really counts! Some might say travel/experiences. But stuff........low down on the list. Good topic for discussion. Looking forward to what others think.
Thank you! Very simple and archaic show compared to the stuff on now, but maybe the simplicity is what I found so enjoyable.

Speaking of TV, when I reflect on this topic, the movie Forest Gump pops into my head...wealthy beyond measure from all that fruit company stock (lol) but he liked what he liked and enjoyed mowing grass on an old Snapper mower or maybe sitting on the porch listening to crickets while drinking a good ol’ Dr Peoper. And speaking of food, I was eating some Raisinets while I thought to make this thread — I thought you know what, no matter how much money or material possessions I end up with, I’ll always want to kick my feet up and eat some Raisinets while watching who knows what on TV or talking about who knows what to other people...something even the poorest of people may enjoy.

Anyway, it sounds to me like regardless of “stuff” you are in a wealthy state of mind.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:19 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
People in other developed countries live like that. They have what they need and care less what others have. They are content with their life working less because they buy/want less...

Old 10-17-2018, 05:31 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,429,771 times
Of course, greed is a relative thing.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:33 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
I would say that the ONLY way to truly be happy in life is to do so with who one is and what one has. True, lasting 'contentment' never comes from stuff.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:32 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,439 times
I am sure there is. So trying to get there myself!

Old 10-17-2018, 09:50 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Well, you can choose to be depressed or to be content with what you have. It's really all a state of mind.

I mostly am okay with what I have. Once in a while, I get frustrated with the limitations imposed by my budget. I'm lucky that I really don't want to travel much anymore. But, I do get frustrated when I would like to travel - to visit a friend - and i don't have the money.

I also get a little frustrated when other friends want to go out to eat or go shopping, and i really can't afford to do that.

So, it's also important to consider who your friends are and if you will feel left out or required to spend money you don't have, etc.

But, for the most part, I am grateful for the small things I have, even though I am very low income.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Well, you can choose to be depressed or to be content with what you have. It's really all a state of mind.

I mostly am okay with what I have. Once in a while, I get frustrated with the limitations imposed by my budget. I'm lucky that I really don't want to travel much anymore. But, I do get frustrated when I would like to travel - to visit a friend - and i don't have the money.

I also get a little frustrated when other friends want to go out to eat or go shopping, and i really can't afford to do that.

So, it's also important to consider who your friends are and if you will feel left out or required to spend money you don't have, etc.

But, for the most part, I am grateful for the small things I have, even though I am very low income.
On the bright side, with texting/calling/facetime it is somewhat easy nowadays to stay in touch to some degree. As far as eating out/shopping, that’s one where I would probably joke around and say something like “you know I’m poor and can’t afford to eat/shop there” - maybe make a good homemade meal and eat together at home/park or something...go shopping and let it be known you’re just coming to window shop/spend time together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living