U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2018, 02:18 AM

29,669 posts, read 32,134,718 times

Advertisements

A cashback credit card is what I use. I can't stand the idea of leaving money on the table.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 08:59 AM

8,322 posts, read 9,188,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I think the only impulse buying problem I have is in the bakery department. I solved that problem, by simply staying out of the bakery. I haven't even walked into a store bakery in probably two years.

Same here. Although I do like Safeway's lemon cream cheese rings! lol I much prefer making my own even if it's from a box mix. Krusteaz has some really good ones. I do like the bakery French bread. I'll use some for French toast, some for garlic bread and the rest for bread pudding.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:05 AM

8,322 posts, read 9,188,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
That is fine, but I think the OP is talking about putting back items to stay within their budget. What if you are $20 over your limit? Oh, I changed my mind about this, and this, and this, and I'm changing my mind on this too, each time looking at the total. I'm sorry but that is a terrible way of shopping. You are going to hold up the checkout line, and the store will have to restock all those items. It's better to just have a list and stick to what is on the list.

I think the worst example of this that I ever experienced was the lady who had a full cart and the total was around $200. Well, she only had $100 and I wondered how in the world she couldn't keep closer track of what she was putting in there. I had to void half that order and, yes, it took some time. I got REALLY aggravated when she kept all the junk and sodas and put back all that good meat which gets tossed to claims. They don't believe you when you tell them it'll be trashed. They think it gets put back but after it's been out of the cold case for a while and taken to claims, no. Same with frozen items.

Old 11-03-2018, 11:57 AM

15,449 posts, read 15,406,997 times
Use my CC for just about everything, I get 1% cashback.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:42 PM

22,985 posts, read 22,024,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
1. Don't bank on them holding you harmless
2. You are without a card for 2 days until it arrives in the mail? Hmmmm
3. No need to even bother with any that effort if you just carried cash.
I've only had two fraudulent charges on a credit card in many years, and the bank, credit union, took care of it. I didn't seem the type of person who would book a flight to a country with a US Department of State travel advisory. They were right. They immediately closed the card and contacted me. It took a few days to get a new card, but it wasn't a problem because I had others.

I haven't had a problem with a card from my bank or either credit union. I'm not sure why you think there would be. If someone hacks, skims, your debit card, it takes weeks to get your money back.

I always have some cash on me, but not so much that losing it will cause a problem for me.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,582 posts, read 51,131,641 times
Debit card for everything, never use cash. Credit cards and cash back are great if you pay off the balance every month, so no interest.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:42 PM

5,304 posts, read 4,625,497 times
I use my debit card...which I also get cash back on. I don't think its as much as on the credit card, but it goes automatically into a savings account, which then becomes my daughter's allowance.

To me, spending cash or debit or credit doesn't make a difference in what I put in my cart. I'm pretty thrifty most of the time.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:04 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,358,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Use my CC for just about everything, I get 1% cashback.
If you have good credit, you should look around. That's a poor cash back card. My primary card gives me 2% cash back, that's CitiBank's double cash reward card, but finding a 1.5% card is pretty easy now days. Even my US Bank card is 1% on most purchases but 2% groceries or gas and 5% on two other categories like department stores or cell phone bills or movie theaters or things like that (I use phone and movie theaters). The Savor card from Capital One is also 4% back on dining and 2% back on groceries.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:20 AM

12,527 posts, read 14,687,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Been using cash for a long time for gas, errands, etc. Now I plan to use cash for groceries...been spending too much and overbuying items. Just too easy with the card.

Hoping if I use cash I'll be a lot more careful about what purchases...stick to my grocery list and not make spur of the moment choices.

Anyone do this and if so, do you find yourself skipping the impulsive buys??
I always pay cash for groceries.
I've seen people use their card for 5$ worth of groceries...I always wonder about the service charges they might be paying for such a small amount of items.

I take a certain amount of money out of the bank once a week, and when that runs out, I wait until the weeks up before getting more.....it definitely keeps me from spending too much on items I really can do without.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:03 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,420,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I always pay cash for groceries.
I've seen people use their card for 5$ worth of groceries...I always wonder about the service charges they might be paying for such a small amount of items.

I take a certain amount of money out of the bank once a week, and when that runs out, I wait until the weeks up before getting more.....it definitely keeps me from spending too much on items I really can do without.
For me it's zero. I pay off the balance in full every month, never pay interest. And this is a no-fee credit card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or