U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 08:51 PM

7,347 posts, read 15,459,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I always pay cash for groceries.
I've seen people use their card for 5$ worth of groceries...I always wonder about the service charges they might be paying for such a small amount of items.
Haven't payed interest on a credit card since something like 2000. My AmEx Everyday Card gives me 2 points per dollar at grocery stores/supermarkets and a 20% point bonus if I make 20 transactions with it in a billing cycle, so it makes sense to put small grocery store transactions on that card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 09:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,990 posts, read 37,948,606 times
Groceries...?
$100 cash into envelope on 1st of the month

When it is gone (seldom)... get creative (fast(quit eating), open the freezer / cupboards / garden / glean / volunteer at homeless shelter / barter / go fishing or hunting / find venues with free food (open houses / Costco samples) / dumpster dive (go to grocery and ask produce dept for culls).

For OP... no.. CC gets EVERYTHING and I have NEVER carried a CC balance month to month (fortunately). (Mileage for more travel / or cash rewards)

Old 11-06-2018, 10:36 AM

13,055 posts, read 24,294,710 times
I make a list, stick to it, and use a debit card, plus coupons. The only time I buy something that's not on my list is when there are some good specials on the clearance rack.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:45 PM

4,342 posts, read 1,604,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Groceries...?
$100 cash into envelope on 1st of the month

When it is gone (seldom)... get creative (fast(quit eating), open the freezer / cupboards / garden / glean / volunteer at homeless shelter / barter / go fishing or hunting / find venues with free food (open houses / Costco samples) / dumpster dive (go to grocery and ask produce dept for culls).

For OP... no.. CC gets EVERYTHING and I have NEVER carried a CC balance month to month (fortunately). (Mileage for more travel / or cash rewards)
So you mean $100 extra after you have your freezer and cupboards filled up?

Old 11-06-2018, 01:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,990 posts, read 37,948,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
So you mean $100 extra after you have your freezer and cupboards filled up?
$100 / month for food (including staples and household supplies) and entertainment (for last 40 yrs) Including when family was living at home.

Freezer rises and falls with the season / needs.

Cupboards get filled as needed (within / inclusive of the $100 / month)

We eat very well, plentiful, and healthy and fix meals for the needy out of our budget, it's no big deal.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:13 PM

657 posts, read 1,986,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I use cash or credit card. I would never write a check for groceries. It holds up the line and it's a bit antiquated anyway.
I saw a woman writing a check in the grocery store last week, it looked weird these days. I would be a little embarrassed. Yes, it did hold the line up.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:24 PM

521 posts, read 111,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
I saw a woman writing a check in the grocery store last week, it looked weird these days. I would be a little embarrassed. Yes, it did hold the line up.
I don't write checks for groceries anymore, but I could write one as fast as some of the people using a card. They put in their card then have a discussion with the clerk about how much cash they can get back. No matter how some people pay they will mess around and slow up the line.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:37 AM

4,342 posts, read 1,604,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I don't write checks for groceries anymore, but I could write one as fast as some of the people using a card. They put in their card then have a discussion with the clerk about how much cash they can get back. No matter how some people pay they will mess around and slow up the line.
Why would they discuss with the clerk about how much cash they can get back? There is a screen with a Cash Back option. The customer pushes the button for the amount of cash they want. When the cashier finishes ringing up the items, their screen tells them how much cash back to give the customer. There is no reason for any words to be exchanged regarding cash back. If the cashier and the customer are discussing cash back, which I don't know why a customer would be discussing their finances with a store employee, but if they are, it's just idle chit chat, that has nothing to do with the transaction.

Old 11-08-2018, 05:26 AM

66,187 posts, read 67,400,963 times
I find using the cards may actually be faster then these people digging through their pockets or change purses for exact coins .

Old 11-08-2018, 09:41 AM

12,578 posts, read 14,771,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I find using the cards may actually be faster then these people digging through their pockets or change purses for exact coins .
It should be........but I find just the opposite.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or