U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 06:52 PM

11,645 posts, read 5,492,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I agree, plus having to remove items at the checkout stand because you don't have enough money to pay for it is... awkward, if not outright embarrassing. It's better to just stick to your grocery list, and if you do go over your budget (which will happen sometimes) work that out later. If everything in your cart is on your list, it's stuff you need anyway.
Not really. Just say I changed my mind. I do that. I pick up something on impulse and re-think it when I get to the register. It's not a big display of oh no, the total is too high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 07:09 PM

4,101 posts, read 1,484,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Not really. Just say I changed my mind. I do that. I pick up something on impulse and re-think it when I get to the register. It's not a big display of oh no, the total is too high.
That is fine, but I think the OP is talking about putting back items to stay within their budget. What if you are $20 over your limit? Oh, I changed my mind about this, and this, and this, and I'm changing my mind on this too, each time looking at the total. I'm sorry but that is a terrible way of shopping. You are going to hold up the checkout line, and the store will have to restock all those items. It's better to just have a list and stick to what is on the list.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:30 PM

17,727 posts, read 3,576,255 times
Quote:
That is fine, but I think the OP is talking about putting back items to stay within their budget. What if you are $20 over your limit? Oh, I changed my mind about this, and this, and this, and I'm changing my mind on this too, each time looking at the total. I'm sorry but that is a terrible way of shopping. You are going to hold up the checkout line, and the store will have to restock all those items. It's better to just have a list and stick to what is on the list.

I never said anything about putting items back...
if you read the thread, I decided to use cc, pay off every month and stick to list.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:45 PM

4,101 posts, read 1,484,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I never said anything about putting items back...
if you read the thread, I decided to use cc, pay off every month and stick to list.
OK, that's good. I think that should solve your problem. But getting back to your previous plan to use cash. What were you planning to do if you went over your budget and didn't have enough cash to pay for it?

Old 10-27-2018, 07:58 PM

6,580 posts, read 2,377,384 times
Quote:
I think she was referring to only putting one item back. Not every thing she bought.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:18 PM

11,437 posts, read 19,463,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I don't see how they could stop her from making a purchase. Regardless of the reasons she's making it. Her husband doesn't have any say in what she buys. This sounds like something from the 1950s, "little lady, we need your husband's permission for you to buy that." Uh, no, not these days.
Oh, no, she bought it all right, it was the fact she was near melt down and I didn’t have the life experience to handle it. I was a sheltered 18 year old, and my older and wiser coworker saw it and stepped in for me, before I had a melt down. I had never seen a person act like that my whole life.

This was the late 70’s.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:06 AM

8,050 posts, read 7,073,585 times
I use cash for almost all purchases.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:56 AM

17,727 posts, read 3,576,255 times
Quote:
OK, that's good. I think that should solve your problem. But getting back to your previous plan to use cash. What were you planning to do if you went over your budget and didn't have enough cash to pay for it?

I carry more cash, I think, than most people....

Old 10-28-2018, 07:15 AM

870 posts, read 1,531,661 times
For convenience, my Wife and I use credit card for all purchases, except for lottery tickets.
Bill comes in and pay it, great way to keep track of expenses.
I bought a new truck not long ago, the dealer allowed me a size able amount on the card,
gotta love the card !

With regard to impulse buys...life’s too short, why not treat yourself.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:44 AM

11,735 posts, read 16,479,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I carry more cash, I think, than most people....
Having my wallet with my complete Christmas budget stolen was the end of my carrying cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or