Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 12:41 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times

Advertisements

Been using cash for a long time for gas, errands, etc. Now I plan to use cash for groceries...been spending too much and overbuying items. Just too easy with the card.

Hoping if I use cash I'll be a lot more careful about what purchases...stick to my grocery list and not make spur of the moment choices.

Anyone do this and if so, do you find yourself skipping the impulsive buys??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 01:14 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
I'll be interested to read others' responses to this question. I've been using only my credit card for groceries, because I get cash back. But now I'm wondering if I'd save more money by using cash and thus preventing impulse buys.

I wonder too about the logistics of paying cash for groceries. How do you plan your grocery list without knowing ahead of time how much things cost? Do you do your shopping with a calculator in hand, adding the price of each item as you put it in the cart?

Old 10-26-2018, 01:21 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Only credit card for points

Old 10-26-2018, 01:26 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Credit card because I have my groceries delivered most of the time. If in person, debit card.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:36 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
we pay cash when we are "allowed" to.
have to use cc for some transactions.

Old 10-26-2018, 02:00 PM

74 posts, read 124,539 times
American Express Blue Cash Preferred Card for all food and groceries since it offers 6% cash back up to $6,000 in purchases.

Old 10-26-2018, 02:04 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
As for impulse buys, if I can talk myself out of it then I don't buy it....but that has nothing to do with whether I have cash on me or not.

If I want it and CAN'T talk myself out of it -- (and believe me that's a crazy internal head conversation) -- I'm buying it.
I have literally stood looking at the cheesecake for five minutes with the good angel in one ear and the bad angel in the other.

I work hard for the little I have, life is short...and if I have the money, I'm just not going to delay my gratification but so much. Mourners are not going to say at my funeral...."selhars, she was so good and she always wanted that cheesecake but would never buy it." Forget that!

If I can talk myself out of even half of impulse buys, I'm good with that. Some things you just have to forgive yourself for.

Old 10-26-2018, 02:17 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Both. What keeps spending down to necessities is sticking to a grocery budget in general, not shopping while hungry or in a hurry, and only shopping off a grocery list kept on the fridge as things run out.

Old 10-26-2018, 02:29 PM

1,304 posts, read 855,905 times
Well, I have been using my debit card, but now see what a fool I've been! Missing out on cash back! From now on, it goes on the card!

Old 10-26-2018, 02:39 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Default I almost never have cash on me ...

I always pay for groceries with my Capital One Visa because I get cash back. Of course, I pay the credit card off in full every month, no exceptions. (When I get home from the grocery store I move funds from my budget item "misc. expenses this pay period" to "Capital One Visa" so I don't forget.)

BUT this past week I went to my local grocery store (Hannaford, which I generally really like) and saw a hand-printed sign on the door: "Cash only today, sorry!" I thought it was a joke or mistake or SOMETHING because I'd never heard of such a thing. Turns out their debit/credit card machines were simply not working.

The problem is, I usually have <$20 cash on me because I almost never have to USE it. Luckily by then it was past 7 a.m. and another local grocery store (Market Basket) was open so I went there instead. But I was pretty bummed as I know Hannaford very well (i.e. I know exactly what I need and where it is in the store) and I don't know Market Basket nearly as well since I shop there only a few times a year.

But OP, I have never had a problem with "impulse buys" at the grocery store due to using a credit card instead of cash. I assume it's because I "transfer" the money as soon as I get home so for me it's just the same as using cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living