U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 10:32 PM

16,757 posts, read 7,448,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
What I would do is stock up on whatever I might need before I went anywhere so I wouldn't have to leave her alone in the car. At first it wouldn't be that long and I could easily buy a week's worth of groceries. If the time came where I did decide to go full-time, hopefully I'll have met people I could trust to watch her while I ran to the store.

I do intend to buy a battery operated fan though. I'm not going to invest in solar panels at first, although I might as they have suitcase ones.

I did buy my cat a leash when I first got her but she's never let me put it on her. She just might not mind when we park at a campsite because she is afraid of people and other animals.

I do plan on going to places with decent weather (not hard to do in Arizona), not too hot and definitely not cold. Over 60 years in Minnesota cured me of cold.

I still have so much to learn before I go on a simple camping trip. I haven't been camping since I was a girl scout, and that was many years ago.
Keep trying, I had to try a couple different kinds before I found a style she would (grudgingly) accept. If I ever went full-time, I'd buy (or make) something like this - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I1M76Q...il_aax_0?psc=1

And it's true that being in a strange place around people she doesn't know will make her more cautious. But you have to be careful to not allow her to wander off and hide somewhere.

As for practicing camping - do you have a friend with a backyard?

Do you feel comfortable leaving your cat alone at home overnight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 06:51 AM

4,686 posts, read 3,147,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Keep trying, I had to try a couple different kinds before I found a style she would (grudgingly) accept. If I ever went full-time, I'd buy (or make) something like this - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I1M76Q...il_aax_0?psc=1

And it's true that being in a strange place around people she doesn't know will make her more cautious. But you have to be careful to not allow her to wander off and hide somewhere.

As for practicing camping - do you have a friend with a backyard?

Do you feel comfortable leaving your cat alone at home overnight?
I love that cat cage, even though it's still a cage. Wonder how well it folds down/comes apart. A bit pricey if it wouldn't fit in the car.

I moved to Arizona a year ago from Minnesota so don't know people with back yards. However, lived in the country for quite awhile although in a house.

I would be okay leaving her overnight but no more than that. Lately she's taken to always be by me when she rests.

She's really good about staying around the apartment when she goes out so I don't worry about her. When I first got her I didn't want to let her outside but her constant meowing by the door was driving me crazy. Now that we've been together for over a year we have come to an understanding. She goes out for maybe half an hour a day and that's enough for her. Often she just sits outside the door.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:31 AM

5,517 posts, read 8,377,846 times
Quote:
I Use a $800 minivan with 'stow-away' seating.. great for Car 'living' or camping / sightseeing / stealthcamping.

Gets 24 mpg (not as good as my station wagon (52 mpg on free fuel)

Each can take a Motoraide hot water heater + outdoor shower + a platform for bed / supplies / storage.
Stealth rabbit, my post was directed at meo who hasn't indicated she has the mechanical ability to deal with the problems a $800 van is likely to encounter.

Since your post was in response to mine (directed to meo) I interpret it as bragging about your mechanical and bargain hunting abilities and an insult to meo if she doesn't possess them.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:49 AM

16,757 posts, read 7,448,099 times
OP, just ran across this woman's youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJv...3xMpajqErss6pA

Old 11-09-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Stealth rabbit, my post was directed at meo who hasn't indicated she has the mechanical ability to deal with the problems a $800 van is likely to encounter.

Since your post was in response to mine (directed to meo) I interpret it as bragging about your mechanical and bargain hunting abilities and an insult to meo if she doesn't possess them.
I have -0- mechanical skills. I do have a 2010Nissan Cube which, if I decide to do this, I would trade in for a decent used van. I also have savings I could use if needed. My car has never needed a mechanic outside of regular maintenance. It only has 68,000 miles on it and averages 31 mpg, which I think is pretty good.

What I am thinking of doing is going to the rtr, at least for a few days and talking to people who are knowledgeable about these things. Learn from those who've been there and done that.

It takes a lot to rile me and I tend to let comments roll off my back. Live and let live is more my motto in life.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
21,148 posts, read 38,149,538 times
problems with an $800 minivan?

Not mine.

Seems to me...a public forum on Frugal / Cheap RV Living, might be a place to FREELY discuss $800 minivans

$800 minivan + occasional $300 repairs = $ 1500 minivan (probably good for 200k miles)

Mine has 138k, miles expecting many more.

Old 11-09-2018, 01:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
21,148 posts, read 38,149,538 times
just imagine there might be 1,000 other readers on a thread,,,

One conversation assisting thousands of others Novel idea!

Who ever is reading (This is not a PM), enjoy your frugal RV Living.

Many options available
Many varieties of needs / desires.

Do what best fits your / budget / skills / destinations / travel style.

$10 / day is expensive to some.. $1000 / day is cheap to many.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
OP, just ran across this woman's youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJv...3xMpajqErss6pA
Thanks. I found her awhile ago. Looking forward to meeting her some day. She has a wonderful attitude which I find refreshing.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:10 AM

6,920 posts, read 7,177,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I have good friends who currently live in AZ who have an RV. They enjoy it and travel quite often but the one thing that impresses me is that it is very expensive. Fuel to fill that RV may well be close to what you pay for rent! Space rent is not cheap either. And something on the RV is always breaking and needs to be repaired or replaced. And the repairs are never cheap either because the repair person usually has to come to you!

Over the years I have read about RV living being touted as a cheap way to go but it would honestly be cheaper for them to fly, rent a car, and stay in a nice hotel!

Meo is thinking of a van vs a RV but

My uncle has a son who works for a company that makes RVs and is able to get a nice discount. So, all 4 sons plus my uncle bought one of those things - after a couple years they all agree --the worst investment they ever made for all the reasons you mentioned plus most live in MN and must store it for the winter (most still work).

Meo - My friends tell me I'm too brave for my own good but I must say this sounds scary to me. It would be fun for a while IF I had someone to go with me but alone and as vulnerable as you are? I don't know if you have the Justice show out there but if you do, watch it. You'd also want to increase your mechanical knowledge - especially with a used van.

I agree with what someone said about giving up your current apartment.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:07 AM

Umbria, I'll probably just do it for a week or so at a time (although I am a Minnesota girl and we all know how tough we are!).

It's fun to think of it and watch the videos but I really do like my apartment and the area I'm in. Seeing the woman who are out there, I am impressed. If I had not been in the accident. If I had not had back surgery, even though it's better, it would be a different story but life is what it is.

I do think it will be fun in small portions. I think I'll enjoy that.

I think it will be great to meet these folks, especially since it seems they focus on Arizona. But my reality is that I like my conveniences and I am making it just fine here. Not living high off the hog but when your main hobbies are reading and crocheting, not much is needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living