U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 01:46 PM

4,699 posts, read 3,157,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Meo;

Have you checked out the "Camping and RVing" subforum of the Travel forum here on C-D?

It might have some useful info for you.....

Check it out!

I frequently check this but find cheaprvliving much more helpful.

I did decide not to go to the Woman's rtr this year. The weather has been too drastic and I was not prepared for the cold front that moved in. There's no way I would bring my cat out in this weather and the Cube is just too small to sleep in, especially with a cat and a catbox.

One woman recommended I take out the back seats. At 65 and with a bad back, that's not going to happen. Besides, I may decide sell the Cube and get a van.

But, I have most of what I need to camp now, so I will try it when the weather gets nicer. Through different websites I've learned where a lot of the nomads go so I will catch up with them later.

The good part is that I now have the gear to explore so if it goes no further, I will still see some of this beautiful state. The Cube gets 30+ mpg so it won't cost much for me to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 04:28 PM

27,251 posts, read 59,154,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
One woman recommended I take out the back seats.
At 65 and with a bad back, that's not going to happen.
Hire it done.
Common hand tools and about an hour of work.

Quote:
But, I have most of what I need to camp now...
I may decide sell the Cube and get a van.
Live "out of" the vehicle... not in it. Camping.
So stick with the CUBE.

Be safe and have fun.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Hire it done.
Common hand tools and about an hour of work.

Live "out of" the vehicle... not in it. Camping.
So stick with the CUBE.

Be safe and have fun.
Thanks for that.

I would hire it done if I decided to go that route. I have bought everything I need to 'live' out of the tent. An army cot, inflatable mattress, camp cook stove, luggable loo and liners, solar lamp, etc.

I already had a sleeping bag and things I'd gotten to use while waiting for my household goods from the moving company when I moved here to Arizona from Minnesota so I feel pretty prepared. I wish I had thought of that cot when I first moved here. It is really nice, sturdy and comfortable. Instead I borrowed a neighbor's fold way and that thing was horrible to sleep on.

I haven't gotten a portable heater for cold nights. I'm still checking on the best/safest ones and what I need for that. A lot of people recommend the Mr Buddy heater. Want to make sure though before I buy anything.

In a way, I'm glad I have to wait. I'm still trying to teach my cat to accept the cat harness and that is proving to be not easy. It has to happen though as I can't let her outside the tent without it. There are coyotes in Arizona and I can't have her wandering.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:01 AM

396 posts, read 119,511 times
Quote:
Hollyhockgarden, I am not unhappy with my situation. I love where I'm living but I am intrigued by the traveling lifestyle.
My favorite documentary on a lifestyle change, even if just temporary, in America that many have not experienced or are even aware of....Produced by the BBC...check it out if you haven't already....I say do what you want to do ....while you can ...

Happy Motoring

American Nomads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QKbIb8wcz0

Old 01-08-2019, 02:54 PM

589 posts, read 367,248 times
Hi MEO, I have not read this thread in its' entirety, but I would love if you would "stealth camp" on our land in Colorado for a few months of the year. We could share meals together, and, any nights [or every night] that you want to sleep inside, we will always have either a real bed or an inflatable mattress available.

We are known as those "crazy old people who bought the crap shack with no septic, no plumbing, that the flippers didn't even want," but we have done some work to it [ we do now have septic and plumbing] but we just love spending most of our time outdoors with the garden, the chickens and the goats, fixing the property, and building "Autistic Community."

I know that you have a bad back, so I have to warn you that we live on the side of a mountain and there are 47 concrete steps[ we had to replace each one by hand] to reach the door, but the gys could help you with the steps, as they do me.

We have tons of wildlife in our "backyard" including bear, mountain lions, a lynx [very endangered] foxes, sknks and racoons.

when you were looking at Arizona as a place to live, I was so dissapointed when I found out you were going to stop by but I was not home. I was staying at the nudist resort during that time, mostly because my oncologist did not want me in the house until all the varmint remains had been cleaned up and the entire place disinfected. [our cabin had been untouched for decades] All of that is long ago cleaned up and though staying here for a bit is not your dream, it might make a good "feel" for it.

Anyway, Adventure Girl, what do you think? You know I love you.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:17 PM

I'd forgotten about that video. I watched it when I first started exploring this lifestyle.

Thank you for your words of encouragement.

I think back to when I first decided to leave Minnesota and the different states I looked into. My decision on moving to Arizona were:

1) Get away from snow and ice. Well, that was the main factor. After back surgery the Dr warned me about falling. He said it could undo the good he'd done.

Well, I fell heavily twice in the snow and ice. I think the only that saved my back was because I had so many layers of clothing on and over them a thick winter coat. But it convinced me I had to quit taking chances.

Arizona's sunsets dragged me in and that was that.

But in my searches, I felt a pull to visit so many different places. Maine for the seafood (but not the weather), Florida for the ocean and warmth in the winter. Pennsylvania because that is where both my dad's parents came from.

In trying to research I was stopped in my tracks because a fire destroyed the town hall with all the records. Good luck in searching for relations to John and Jean Kelly. I may have found some but would like to meet them to see if we're anything alike.

It intrigues me that they moved from Pennsylvania to Minnesota. I wonder what prompted that move.

Being able to travel and live in my domain, I could go to those areas in good weather and leave when the weather is bad.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:22 PM

589 posts, read 367,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
OK Metla , I am seeking to understand. What exactly is it that bothers you about having an extra vehicle parked in your neighborhood at night? Trashy rundown cars? Mine is notóit is clean inside and out. I seek to blend in and it looks much like the other cars in the neighborhoodóI steer clear of the fancy places where there are no cars parked on zither street. People pulling their lawn chairs out and setting up shop? I donít. I simply sleep there and leave in the morning and Iíve never so much as gotten the hairy eyeball because itís not obvious what Iím up to. Yes there will always be abusers but thatís true in everything that anyone does.

And while I often camp in wilderness areas, I donít feel the need for campfires and if I have one I put it out and I make it so you canít even tell there was fire there. I have never made a fire when there is a fire ban and I have also picked up quantities of trash that others have left behind because Iím a Girl Scout and believe in leaving a place better than I found it.
I do not care what your vehicle looks like. Park in front of my house anytime, but you'd best not drive away in the morning before coming in for breakfast. What would be uber-cool would be if you came to my neck of the woods at the same time MEO does [she hasn't said she will, but I will be working on it]We live in southeastern colorado in a mountain town. It is pure heaven.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
I do not care what your vehicle looks like. Park in front of my house anytime, but you'd best not drive away in the morning before coming in for breakfast. What would be uber-cool would be if you came to my neck of the woods at the same time MEO does [she hasn't said she will, but I will be working on it]We live in southeastern colorado in a mountain town. It is pure heaven.
Vicky, sweet vicky. Yes, Colorado could be feasible but all those steps..I don't know. It would take me a long time to climb them, if I even could. If I have to walk farther than my apartment to my car I have to take the walker instead of the cane. Just to visit the office here, to pay rent or talk to the manager, even with the incline from my apartment to the office (wheelchair accessible) I have to stop quite a few times to rest and that's only a little ways from me.

Maybe we can rig up a pulley system, lol.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:52 PM

9,509 posts, read 16,654,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
Wow Vicky, what a sweet offer! I have no immediate plans to visit CO but plans change quickly and from day to day.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:01 PM

9,509 posts, read 16,654,169 times
Quote:
I frequently check this but find cheaprvliving much more helpful.

I did decide not to go to the Woman's rtr this year. The weather has been too drastic and I was not prepared for the cold front that moved in. There's no way I would bring my cat out in this weather and the Cube is just too small to sleep in, especially with a cat and a catbox.

One woman recommended I take out the back seats. At 65 and with a bad back, that's not going to happen. Besides, I may decide sell the Cube and get a van.

But, I have most of what I need to camp now, so I will try it when the weather gets nicer. Through different websites I've learned where a lot of the nomads go so I will catch up with them later.

The good part is that I now have the gear to explore so if it goes no further, I will still see some of this beautiful state. The Cube gets 30+ mpg so it won't cost much for me to do that.
Meo, Iím at the RTRright now and itís better than spring break and summer camp combined. LOL. I would ask you to reconsider, because honestly Iím pretty much of an introvert and Iím having a great time. There are many of us here so Iíll have a long conversation with someone and then go hide for awhile. You can even park out on the periphery away from the crowds if you want. There are going to be workshops on how to do things related to being on the road and campfires every night and people will often invite you to see their ďlayoutĒ so you can see what could work for you. My most indispensable item is a big down comforter to roll up in every night. My dog and I have slept in weather down to 20 deg so far. As for pets, a cat wouldnít even come close to being the most exotic pet here. Iíve seen a pig and heard someone has a peacock. Many people here are not full timers but wanting to be. Others have been traveling for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living