Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2019, 05:58 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times

Advertisements

On my gosh, I stepped outside tonight and the sunset is spectacular, as it often is in Arizona. I imagine looking at this from van windows. It is just awesome.

Just an fyi, the Windows in my apartment are not large. In fact, I almost didn't take the apartment because of them. But I did, and I'm not sorry I moved here. I've gained a lot of knowledge about Arizona, I've viewed beautiful sunrises and sunsets, and I've met some beautiful people...and l got a cat. Life is good.

Last edited by meo92953; 01-15-2019 at 06:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Just throwing this in here - my favorite nomads to follow on youtube are: Slim Potatohead, Vancity Vanlife, Enigmatic Nomadics, and, of course, Cheaprvliving. Slim Potatohead is a winter camper - in Canada! - and it's very interesting how he does things. Not a vandweller, he has an A-liner tent trailer. Rolling Steel Tent and Mobile Kodgers are blogs I follow.

Many other good ones, these are just the ones I enjoy the most. Most mention cooking at one time or another. As you might imagine, simple is the watchword for most.
Yes. I follow all of them. Along with others. They make me aware that there are other folks like me out there.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:13 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
That sounds interesting.

I was looking at videos of the big tent venders and products. Looks like you can find anything camping related.

I'll be there next year. Buying one thing each month for my new life. I do want a berkey water filter system so that will take awhile. Actually, I'll probably use it here as the water is awful. I use a Brita now but a berkey sounds fantastic.

I do eat a lot of rice and beans meals. I'll bet beans cooked over a fire, for a good long time, taste wonderful. I have cast iron cookware, including a large pot which would work well for that.
One word of caution: cast iron is nice, but weighty.

When you are loading a vehicle, you have to keep in mind how much weight you are adding. A good 2500 or 3500 van or equivalent would be fine, and less worry about weight.

Your cube, on the other hand is only designed for lightweight use.

The sturdier the structure, the more weight you can. Carry.

Because things like 50 gallons of water weigh a lot. For instance. Propane tanks weigh a lot too. If you decide to carry one.

Stuff weighs a lot when you add it up.

So keep weight in mind when loading your vehicle unless its a 3500 or greater.......

Continued happiness fir you meo....

Old 01-16-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
One word of caution: cast iron is nice, but weighty.

When you are loading a vehicle, you have to keep in mind how much weight you are adding. A good 2500 or 3500 van or equivalent would be fine, and less worry about weight.

Your cube, on the other hand is only designed for lightweight use.

The sturdier the structure, the more weight you can. Carry.

Because things like 50 gallons of water weigh a lot. For instance. Propane tanks weigh a lot too. If you decide to carry one.

Stuff weighs a lot when you add it up.

So keep weight in mind when loading your vehicle unless its a 3500 or greater.......

Continued happiness fir you meo....

Weight is consistently discussed in videos. There will have to be compromises, I am well aware of that.

I also realize that, as much as I love the Cube, it can't handle weight.It is advised to not haul anything, not even the small trailers that don't weigh that much. So I will be selling or trading in the Cube to buy a van.

It has served its purpose and I will always love it but it's time to let it go. Well, not until July or August. That gives me time to research.

It took me about three years to research where I wanted to move when I decided to leave Minnesota. That was scary, moving somewhere unknown. But I am so glad I did. As I said, I will be putting things in storage for at least six months, to make sure this is what I want and if I find the cast iron is too heavy it will go in with my other things.

I've gotten quite good at honing my research skills. I'm paying attention to what other folks are doing/have done to make this work. There are ideas I've discarded, such as getting a small travel trailor, and by the time I am ready for a move I will have made a decision. I've yet to hear someone say they regret keeping/taking cast iron cookware. Instead, they are glad they did.

I will probably give up the large fry pan because, even though I use it a lot, I use my deep stainless steel one more. It's a lot lighter too.

I am glad I downsized to move here. There's not much that I don't use and I will be going through everything again. As it is, there are quite a few clothes I will be donating because I don't use them here. Also some glassware and duplicate kitchen items.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Weight is consistently discussed in videos. There will have to be compromises, I am well aware of that.

I also realize that, as much as I love the Cube, it can't handle weight.It is advised to not haul anything, not even the small trailers that don't weigh that much. So I will be selling or trading in the Cube to buy a van.

It has served its purpose and I will always love it but it's time to let it go. Well, not until July or August. That gives me time to research.

It took me about three years to research where I wanted to move when I decided to leave Minnesota. That was scary, moving somewhere unknown. But I am so glad I did. As I said, I will be putting things in storage for at least six months, to make sure this is what I want and if I find the cast iron is too heavy it will go in with my other things.

I've gotten quite good at honing my research skills. I'm paying attention to what other folks are doing/have done to make this work. There are ideas I've discarded, such as getting a small travel trailor, and by the time I am ready for a move I will have made a decision. I've yet to hear someone say they regret keeping/taking cast iron cookware. Instead, they are glad they did.

I will probably give up the large fry pan because, even though I use it a lot, I use my deep stainless steel one more. It's a lot lighter too.

I am glad I downsized to move here. There's not much that I don't use and I will be going through everything again. As it is, there are quite a few clothes I will be donating because I don't use them here. Also some glassware and duplicate kitchen items.
Ok, i didnt get tgat you WERE ( or ARE) getting a van.

Yeah the cube is a lightweight vehicle.

I wasnt by any means saying lose the cast iron, just giving a hint about keeping an eye on ( total) weight. Sonething you might not have thought of.

Continued happiness for you meo...

Old 01-16-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Ok, i didnt get tgat you WERE ( or ARE) getting a van.

Yeah the cube is a lightweight vehicle.

I wasnt by any means saying lose the cast iron, just giving a hint about keeping an eye on ( total) weight. Sonething you might not have thought of.

Continued happiness for you meo...
Yes, the utubes I watch warn of the things to watch out for. Very informative without being pushy. They offer facts.

I was just watching Robin, from Creativity rv, give her story at the rtr. She was in a job she didn't like but you do what you have to to pay the mortgage, etc. Then her sister got sick and died within two years. Before she died, she asked Robin if she was happy in her job. Robin said, it's ok. Her sister then asked her if she would keep doing it if she knew she only had two years to live. That's what made Robin think and begin pursuing her quest to find a better lifestyle.

When my son died, and once the grief had lessened a bit, I woke up one day and realized I had no reason to stay in Minnesota. That began the true search to change my life.

I'm not there yet but have started the journey to peace. I have always loved nature and feel closer to a spiritual life while looking/ being in natural beauty.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Yes, the utubes I watch warn of the things to watch out for. Very informative without being pushy. They offer facts.

I was just watching Robin, from Creativity rv, give her story at the rtr. She was in a job she didn't like but you do what you have to to pay the mortgage, etc. Then her sister got sick and died within two years. Before she died, she asked Robin if she was happy in her job. Robin said, it's ok. Her sister then asked her if she would keep doing it if she knew she only had two years to live. That's what made Robin think and begin pursuing her quest to find a better lifestyle.

When my son died, and once the grief had lessened a bit, I woke up one day and realized I had no reason to stay in Minnesota. That began the true search to change my life.

I'm not there yet but have started the journey to peace. I have always loved nature and feel closer to a spiritual life while looking/ being in natural beauty.
Ok, sorry to hear about your son, my condolences. A child loss is the worst pain i understand.

Yes, you should do what you love with the time we have left. Once our fathers (ages 84&90) pass, or even one passes, we are leaving NY, at least for winters. Im at risk for falling as i use a cane. And shoveling??? Well were expecting a foot or more on sat night, and my OH is expected at work 6 am on Sunday. Ugh.
On another note:

Lol though, when we first equipped our van, my father weighed EVERYTHING to go in it, including clothes and sleeping bags and styrofoam cups and plastic silverware! Lol even us kids, and mom said "no way are you weighing me!!!".

We Were all well under the maximum cargo weight for the van.

Continued happiness for you meo...and best wishes.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:31 PM

Thanks. I am so glad I no longer have to deal with snow. You will be amazed at how your spirits are lifted when you're in the sun.

Best wishes for you too, galaxy.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:05 PM

11,055 posts, read 6,639,868 times
I don't know how applicable our horse-camping experience might be for you but here's a few tips:
We used a solar oven to cook beans and anything else. We cooked over a little trench in the earth with a grate over it---sticks of wood for fuel. The camp stove was for inclement weather.

We had flexible solar panels we laid over the pack horses during travel, that powered batteries inside the pack boxes so we had light and computers. Even a 12-volt TV in the tent. Battery-powered air pump for the blow-up mattress. And battery water-pump to get water from shallow streams. I think I got arthritic arms from the hand-pump filtration system!

Prior to leaving, I dried all the food I could so rehydrating stuff was quick and easy. Hamburger, beans, tomato leather, fruit---everything. On horses, weight is really an issue.

Meo, you should def go for this dream of yours. One thing I noticed is all the squatting required for camping. Good thing I was 40 when doing this. At 63 now, I could not do it. So if you can still do it physically, don't delay!! This experience of mine is the most treasurable memory I possess! So glad I did it when I could.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:42 PM

What a wonderful experience you had! I'm 65 so don't think I'll be doing much squatting, lol but love hearing about your adventure.

One thing I've learned in life is that doing nothing is saying no. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, etc.

My body and my mirror tells me I'm definitely 65. My brain says 40 tops. There are still adventures ahead for me. And I know I'll treasure them, as you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living