U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 07:55 PM

9,522 posts, read 16,695,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
How does my pointing out that AAA does not provide service off road, equal me hating the RTR? What do these two things have to do with each other?
Because I didnít want to be tedious and post ALL of your negative comments. I donít know why this particular thread brought on so much negativity from people because Meo seems like a nice pleasant person to me. Also, it is not meoís job to present a fair and balanced viewpoint. Itís one thing to present the pitfalls of life on the road but youíre just hijacking her thread and not contributing much of value. Iím still waiting for your story too.

Also I donít know where youíre getting that weíre all unhappy....I just rubbed elbows with 6000 people at the RTR who seem quite satisfied with what theyíre doing and Iím one of them. Eventually Iíll head home and get a place but for now I am content. Tomorrow I plan to spend the day hiking in the mountains and in a few days I may join a caravan going to CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 11:00 AM

3,856 posts, read 2,206,207 times
Meo, I'd think about moving/starting a new thread in the camping/rv subsection of the travel forum.

I would NOT let cloudy ",cloud" your judgement of this thread or any other one you want to start to gather good info.

But, once again, ONE PERSON ruins it for all of us....

Old 01-21-2019, 02:12 PM

4,741 posts, read 3,187,179 times
Thanks to both of you. I knew I should have ignored the comments but that darn Irish in me took over. Or maybe it was the Norwegian part.

Stepka, the rtr sounds like it was great. Next year I will have a van and be able to join in.

I'm glad I didn't try it this year. It would have been awful cold in a tent or my car. I'll be better prepared next year.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:59 PM

4,490 posts, read 1,695,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Because I didnít want to be tedious and post ALL of your negative comments. I donít know why this particular thread brought on so much negativity from people because Meo seems like a nice pleasant person to me. Also, it is not meoís job to present a fair and balanced viewpoint. Itís one thing to present the pitfalls of life on the road but youíre just hijacking her thread and not contributing much of value. Iím still waiting for your story too.

Also I donít know where youíre getting that weíre all unhappy....I just rubbed elbows with 6000 people at the RTR who seem quite satisfied with what theyíre doing and Iím one of them. Eventually Iíll head home and get a place but for now I am content. Tomorrow I plan to spend the day hiking in the mountains and in a few days I may join a caravan going to CA.
That is the nature of internet forums. You start a thread, and some people are for it, and some people are against it. Then the debate goes on. I understand now this thread was not intended to be like that. Maybe a better title for the thread would have been: Is the Cheap RV Living Website Great, or is it FANTASTIC?

Old 01-21-2019, 04:45 PM
Status: "Most innocent people need to hire 35 lawyers at some point" (set 11 days ago)

16,948 posts, read 7,533,467 times
Quote:
You know there is an ignore list on this forum, right? But why you want to start a thread, and then not want feedback on it, I have no idea. I was just trying to give you some friendly suggestions.
And meo politely told you that she was choosing to do something different. Whereupon you doubled down.

Sorry, you don't seem that friendly to me.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:09 PM

23,556 posts, read 22,530,867 times
Quote:
That is the nature of internet forums. You start a thread, and some people are for it, and some people are against it. Then the debate goes on. I understand now this thread was not intended to be like that. Maybe a better title for the thread would have been: Is the Cheap RV Living Website Great, or is it FANTASTIC?
You've made your point. We get it. Meo gets it. Good point about AAA. I knew that, but not everyone does.

Can you suggest any interesting sites for her to visit? I've watched YouTube videos about older people and seniors who lived in or out of vans and small RVs for a few years. They didn't seem unhappy.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:10 PM

23,556 posts, read 22,530,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Moderator, please close this thread as this person cloudy dayz, will not let up.

Thank you
If you want to close the thread, contact a moderator.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:23 PM

3,856 posts, read 2,206,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Thanks to both of you. I knew I should have ignored the comments but that darn Irish in me took over. Or maybe it was the Norwegian part.

Stepka, the rtr sounds like it was great. Next year I will have a van and be able to join in.

I'm glad I didn't try it this year. It would have been awful cold in a tent or my car. I'll be better prepared next year.
Funny. Meo...im Scots- Irish and Norwegian too!

Have you looked into catalytic heaters? They look good, better than the little buddy heater...just an idea to keep warm.

Good luvk and continued happiness for you meo...

Old 01-21-2019, 06:20 PM

4,490 posts, read 1,695,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You've made your point. We get it. Meo gets it. Good point about AAA. I knew that, but not everyone does.

Can you suggest any interesting sites for her to visit? I've watched YouTube videos about older people and seniors who lived in or out of vans and small RVs for a few years. They didn't seem unhappy.
YouTube is where I get my information from. I watch dozens of YouTube channels of people living in their vehicles. I agree, I don't think any of them are happy most of the time. I don't think it is a happy life, especially if you don't have a large RV or bus, and even then it's a life filled with nothing but problems. Living in a van is just terrible, it's... bad. If you have any alternative, I wouldn't recommend it.

If you are asking yourself why I watch so many YouTube van life channels if I think the lifestyle is so bad. The answer is a simple. It's love - hate thing. I love what they are doing, traveling around, seeing and experiencing so many different things, most of them anyway. It makes for some of the best channels on YouTube. But watching them deal with the problems of living in a van, is the depressing side of it. Honestly I feel sorry for them. It's just not a great way of living, even if they are claiming it is.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:00 PM

9,522 posts, read 16,695,614 times
Quote:
YouTube is where I get my information from. I watch dozens of YouTube channels of people living in their vehicles. I agree, I don't think any of them are happy most of the time. I don't think it is a happy life, especially if you don't have a large RV or bus, and even then it's a life filled with nothing but problems. Living in a van is just terrible, it's... bad. If you have any alternative, I wouldn't recommend it.

If you are asking yourself why I watch so many YouTube van life channels if I think the lifestyle is so bad. The answer is a simple. It's love - hate thing. I love what they are doing, traveling around, seeing and experiencing so many different things, most of them anyway. It makes for some of the best channels on YouTube. But watching them deal with the problems of living in a van, is the depressing side of it. Honestly I feel sorry for them. It's just not a great way of living, even if they are claiming it is.
So have you tried it? If you think itís bad, why are you even participating on this thread? Why arenít you over on the, um, car forum or something? Apparently you are sitting around watching YouTube videos about how bad it is because why?

One thing that you and others here have to realize about extended travel is that wherever you go, there you are. On a long trip, this is your daily life, whereas when you get a two week vacay, your life gets suspended. If youíre unhappy with yourself, the trip isnít going to fix that. That said, I think Iím a bit happier than I was but maybe thatís because Iím full of gratitude that Iím getting to live a lifelong dream. Iím camped out by He biosphere in the Arizona desert and all the sunsets here are amazing and I live very close to nature and how could that possibly make anyone unhappy. But wherever you go, there you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living