U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 09:00 AM

4,764 posts, read 3,195,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Oooh I just found my next hike on scenicbyways. Thank you.

I’m just in a conversion van and no high roof either. It’s white of course. The back sofa seat folds out into a bed and I have room for kitchen supplies and two small chests of drawers. There is also a bucket for cleaning and bathroom supplies. I keep my night bottle in there and it has a screw lid. I know it sounds crowded and I won’t say it’s big but I feel I have just enough room for just about anything but yoga and dancing lol. It helps that my love life isn’t busy lol. If I want to sit down I have a few different choices...the bed, a front seat, or on the back floor between my bed and the front. Or...outside.

I can bathe out of a bucket with very little water. 1/2 gallon for the smelly parts and 1 gallon if I want to wash my hair first but I’ve noticed that since I stopped washing it every day it’s coming in thicker. The water doesn’t necessarily even have to be warm. I couldn’t jump into a cold bath or shower but with a sponge bath it’s just fine if it’s cold. And I’m toughening up. I love that feeling.
I must say, I am envious. You're doing what I am thinking of doing. I love hearing about your lifestyle.

I'm exploring buying one of the shower tents. But a lot of people are doing what you are with keeping clean and it seems to work well for them. When I think of how much water we waste when we don't have to be conscious of it, it's staggering. Since reading about how people are conserving while van dwelling, it's made me more conscious of water waste and I now find myself being more conservative. Even washing dishes, I now make sure I turn off the water between rinses. I didn't even think about it before.

So regardless of what I do in the end, studying this lifestyle has already been helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 11:39 AM

27,482 posts, read 59,466,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I'm exploring buying one of the shower tents. But...
Short hair solves MOST of the problems.

The best piece of car-camping gear I ever acquired was a 1gal garden pump sprayer.
Fill it in the AM, set it out in the sun, and you have enough warm water UNDER PRESSURE for TWO showers.
Use the extra when rinsing your dinner dishes.
Or heat up some water at the fire or spend a few extra bucks for a metal jug.

The only practical issue is WHERE to use it (for those who don't care for public nudity)

Old 01-26-2019, 01:49 PM

There have been many ideas on utube. I like the shower tent idea because you can set it up right outside your side door. A lot of people set up an inside shower with a pan to stand up in. Some hang a shower curtain between the two back doors and secure it with clips.

There are a lot of good ideas using the bag you describe set out in the sun.

Let me add that I am enjoying having longer hair. I had short hair most of my career to make it easier in getting ready for work. I'm not going to cut it and will deal with washing it.

Old 01-27-2019, 01:31 AM

23,588 posts, read 22,560,173 times
Now that I'm older, my scalp and hair aren't oily at all. I feel no need to wash it daily. I don't use any goopy hair products, so I don't have to wash those out.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Now that I'm older, my scalp and hair aren't oily at all. I feel no need to wash it daily. I don't use any goopy hair products, so I don't have to wash those out.
Same here. In fact, I've noticed if I wash my hair too often it gets very dry. Yup, the bunk went away when I quit working, as did blow drying.

Old 01-27-2019, 06:37 PM

3,887 posts, read 2,217,828 times
Quote:
I'm still watching. Just have nothing to contribute.

Once it gets warmer here I plan on tent camping to try it out. I'm still working on trying to get my cat comfortable with her cage but I think it's a losing battle. Good thing I bought it at a thrift store. There are other alternatives though. One person has an enclosed play area for his.

Actually, stealthrabbit has some good input. Good sites to check out.

I have been looking at vans to buy. There seem to be some good deals out there. I'm planning on getting serious as it gets closer to September when my lease ends. That gives me time to get ready and allows me to buy things in a timely manner.

What other people choose to do or say has no concern for me. The way I look at life, by all rights I should not have survived the car accident I was in so anything after that is a plus. I'll do what I want to with my life, as long as it doesn't hurt another person and what I'm planning certainly doesn't hurt anyone.
That reminds me...meo, please do not take on more than you can handle! The mention of the car accident reminded me.

I have a bad back ( degenerative disc disease), bad hips ( avascular necrosis) and bad knees. I go for injections, for nerve blocks and for radio frequency ablation and have had for 12 years scripts for morphine and codeine.

Please pick stuff light weight, easy to carry and i suggest you get yourself a mini folding hand trolley to haul things like big water jugs, toilet cassets or waste containers, etc.

If you use a cooler for istance, its heavy when loaded with ice and goodies. Just an example.

Dont try to do much, as well as taking advice from YouTube, think of making things easier for you, even if something takes two or three trips to get it done.

Ive learned over the years how to make things easier for myself, especially since i use a cane.

Im sure you are thinking of that, but sometimes we get overambitious beyibd oyr comfort limits.

Continued happiness for you meo....

Old 01-27-2019, 07:11 PM

It took me a long time to adjust to being disabled. Prior to the car accident, I had been remodeling my house, carrying and putting up wallboard, etc.

It took a long time to learn how to adjust but I've become pretty proficient. I use my walker to 'move' things. I bought one with the seat and wheels. I've become inventive.

I'm so sorry you have had so many problems with your muscular system. I don't take any type of pain killers except an occasional arthritis pain reliever. Only when I overdue.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:16 PM

23,588 posts, read 22,560,173 times
Yep. I takes hurting yourself enough times to realize that you can no longer do what you used to. At the very least, you can't do it in the same way. Often, where there's a will there's a way. It just takes longer.

Of course, I hurt myself doing things today. I can't follow my advice.

Old Today, 06:20 AM

9,526 posts, read 16,705,681 times
Quote:
I must say, I am envious. You're doing what I am thinking of doing. I love hearing about your lifestyle.
Meo, Iíd still like to encourage you to give this a tryout. The RTR is over but there are still plenty of folks camped out bu quartzite. It will give you an opportunity to go out and meet folks and line up some travel buddies before you go. The idea of folks going out in caravans is gaining ground and it makes sense on so many levels...safety, companionship, and pooling of skills are some good reasons. You donít have to stay with the group the whole time if you donít want to. Iím with a group at Slab City right now and this place is a trip lol. The reason Iím mentioning it now though is because the groups begin to disperse in the spring. Also Iím camping with a friend I made on the road and we will probably continue to camp together sporadically. Heís a man but there is nothing romantic going on...just companionship. There are many ďcouplesĒ like us on the road and it makes everything more fun.

Old Today, 08:59 AM

I do plan on coming out but not until it warms up. I don't relish sleeping in the Cube. I've been watching where the caravans are going and did read where a group traveled to slab city. The videos I've seen on it makes me wonder about it. I would like to see it but not sure I would fit in. I'm a bit straight laced.

I have been keeping quite close tabs on the traveling groups through the various videos. There's still so much I need. But each month I buy something for camping. I recognize the groups split up as it gets warmer and I may have to wait. That's fine with me.

September is the worst month I've found, here in Sierra Vista, heat wise and that's when my lease is up. I might scoot to Minnesota and see everyone - September is awesome in Minnesota. My friends whine that they miss me.

I also did not take the time to explore on my trips here. The first time because I was a chicken and scared - it was the first long trip I'd taken by myself. The second time I had to beat the clock and get here before the office closed for the holiday or stay in a motel for 3 extra days until they opened. It was not a fun trip.

It would be nice to take that trip at a leisurely pace. All it would cost me is gas and food and would further prepare me for life on the road.

I then plan on staying at the LTVA in Quartzsite until spring. I'll be close to where the RTR is held and will meet people at that time. I look forward to that. I'm also hoping there will be another van build and I can participate in that.

Right now my main goal is saving as much as possible until I buy a vehicle to travel in. I would much rather have 'more than enough ' as opposed to just enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living