U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:22 AM

94 posts, read 45,693 times

Advertisements

the way the economy is going, half the population will be living in vans soon. and they'll be working at full time jobs too. you just wait. the worst is yet to come. an old chevy van is the new american "home" because fewer people can afford to live properly. i see an america with vast slums full of aging vans and rvs in the future. america will be like brazil but instead of favelas there will be van slums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM

26,901 posts, read 58,020,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith5a View Post
the way the economy is going, half the population will be living in vans soon.
Most of this problem is that we really don't need half of the population.

Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM

4,559 posts, read 3,021,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Most of this problem is that we really don't need half of the population.
Which half do you suggest going away?

Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM

44 posts, read 5,935 times
what i would like to know. is what's the OP gonna do when the end comes and they can't do it no more. i watched alot of youtube videos just making the mobile life all glamour. none of them ever talk about what's gonna happen to them when that time comes.

Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM

4,559 posts, read 3,021,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I have never understood the appeal of that event. I would be bored out of my mind, sitting in a parking lot of RVs and vans in the middle of the desert, sitting around campfires, getting drunk or high for 11 days. Don't people have any better place to travel to? To make it worse, they all make YouTube videos about it. So there are 10,000 videos of it. What a waste of YouTube bandwidth.

That said I have kind of been inspired by them to maybe replace my Honda Civic with a four wheel drive SUV and put a futon mattress in the back, so I can go out and easily camp in the backcountry. But RV events like that are not on my bucket list.
And that's fine for you. Not everyone is going to enjoy the same things. I don't see anywhere that it says people are going there to get drunk or high but i guess we all have our own opinions on life.

I, for one, would go to see how people are living the lifestyle, the pros and cons, and the enjoyment of being in nature with other introverts. My idea of a good time is to sit outside with a nice cup of coffee and a good book.

Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM

9,469 posts, read 16,437,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
And that's fine for you. Not everyone is going to enjoy the same things. I don't see anywhere that it says people are going there to get drunk or high but i guess we all have our own opinions on life.

I, for one, would go to see how people are living the lifestyle, the pros and cons, and the enjoyment of being in nature with other introverts. My idea of a good time is to sit outside with a nice cup of coffee and a good book.
Yup

Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM

4,131 posts, read 1,496,689 times
Quote:

LOL. Introverts don't go to an event and sit with 10,000 other people in the desert for 11 days. By definition introverts enjoys spending time alone, not with 10,000 other people.

Please take a lot of coffee and books. You are going to need it to keep busy for 11 days while everyone else is getting buzzed.

Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
LOL. Introverts don't go to an event and sit with 10,000 other people in the desert for 11 days. By definition introverts enjoys spending time alone, not with 10,000 other people.

Please take a lot of coffee and books. You are going to need it to keep busy for 11 days while everyone else is getting buzzed.
This is not entirely accurate about introverts. I should know because I am one myself. We still need people...it’s just that at some point we need to crawl away and regroup. Also, I do well enough with visiting in small groups but big parties just exhaust me. I am thinking of dropping into Quartzite too for a couple of days but only out of curiosity because it sounds dull to me as well, but it will be fun to connect with other travelers and most of the most meaningful and interesting conversations I’ve had outside of my family have been while traveling. Honestly it’s not like they’re going to force you to stay and it’s on most folks route south for the winter. OP, I’ll be looking for you and I’ll be in a white Dodge van, coffee and books in hand.

Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM

20,454 posts, read 26,583,914 times
Quote:
It appeals to me in a lot of ways but, I am just now exploring. In many ways I think it sounds wonderful but...do I really want t do that?

I just may go to the rondevu this coming year, January 9-20, to find out.

Parts of me say, no way do I want to give up what I 'vs got. Parts of me say, think of the freedom, living under the stars, the closeness to nature.
That website really romanticizes something that's maybe not so great in real life. Here's a look at the darkside of that life:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ma...ife-2017-11-06

Even if you've got enough of an income to not need a job, I can't imagine that constantly stealth camping to avoid fees and always having to look for a place to shower or even use the restroom is a good way to live on a full time basis. Why not just buy a van and enjoy taking trips several times per year?

Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
That website really romanticizes something that's maybe not so great in real life. Here's a look at the darkside of that life:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ma...ife-2017-11-06

Even if you've got enough of an income to not need a job, I can't imagine that constantly stealth camping to avoid fees and always having to look for a place to shower or even use the restroom is a good way to live on a full time basis. Why not just buy a van and enjoy taking trips several times per year?
Obviously it is not for everyone but I do this every day and itís not that big of a deal. When I get sick of it i well find a place that I want to live and settle down. Several of you on here have the attitude that you canít go back. That because youíre out on the road in a van youíre just gonna have to be homeless for the rest of your life. I suppose that could happen among the range of possibilities but itís not likely if you have some cushion. As for me, I love the lifestyle, stealth camping, find in bathrooms, and figuring out how to get clean. All of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living