U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM

20,461 posts, read 26,583,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but there's a dark side to consumerist suburban living too.

Yes, there are people living in RVs who have few to no other options. There are others who do have options and are living just as they want to live.

You seem to have a problem with that.
Excuse me? I simply pointed out that stealth campers aren't really welcome in many places; I'd certainly want to know that if I were planning on living in a van and parking it wherever. If they want to save on campground costs, I believe they've got the option of dispersed camping. I have no problem with that as long as they leave wilderness areas in the same condition which they found them.

Last edited by Metlakatla; Yesterday at 09:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM

16,280 posts, read 7,139,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Excuse me? I simply pointed out that stealth campers aren't really welcome in many places. If they want to save on campground costs, I believe they've got the option of dispersed camping. I have no problem with that as long as they leave wilderness areas in the same condition which they found them.
Glad to hear it.

But the post I was responding to wasn't primarily about stealth camping, but about how you don't think that full-timing would be much fun.

As it happens, I agree with you that stealth camping is often not very stealthy at all.

Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM

4,559 posts, read 3,021,266 times
Quote:
Excuse me? I simply pointed out that stealth campers aren't really welcome in many places; I'd certainly want to know that if I were planning on living in a van and parking it wherever. If they want to save on campground costs, I believe they've got the option of dispersed camping. I have no problem with that as long as they leave wilderness areas in the same condition which they found them.
BUT, if a person is reading and studying the posts they learn where they can go and where not to go. There are many posts about this. It's a matter of paying attention and learning from others.

Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM

20,461 posts, read 26,583,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Glad to hear it.

But the post I was responding to wasn't primarily about stealth camping, but about how you don't think that full-timing would be much fun.

As it happens, I agree with you that stealth camping is often not very stealthy at all.
My comment about it not being much fun is directly related to the stealth camping aspect:

Quote:
I can't imagine that constantly stealth camping to avoid fees and always having to look for a place to shower or even use the restroom is a good way to live on a full time basis.

Old Yesterday, 11:37 PM

4,134 posts, read 1,496,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
This is not entirely accurate about introverts. I should know because I am one myself. We still need people...itís just that at some point we need to crawl away and regroup. Also, I do well enough with visiting in small groups but big parties just exhaust me. I am thinking of dropping into Quartzite too for a couple of days but only out of curiosity because it sounds dull to me as well, but it will be fun to connect with other travelers and most of the most meaningful and interesting conversations Iíve had outside of my family have been while traveling. Honestly itís not like theyíre going to force you to stay and itís on most folks route south for the winter. OP, Iíll be looking for you and Iíll be in a white Dodge van, coffee and books in hand.
10,000 people for 11 days, is one really big party. This is like Woodstock x 10, but without the entertainment. Woodstock only lasted three days.

As I already said, if I'm going to camp out in a vehicle, I'm going to do it in a four-wheel drive SUV and I'm going to drive as far into the back country as I can get, to get away from people. I'm not going to do it in a group of thousands of people, and I'm not going to camp out on the sand in the middle of the Arizona desert. I'm going to do it is some place nice with mountains, lakes and trees.

I would not attend the event because 1. It's a bad location and 2. It's just a nightmare mass of people who are traveling but don't seem to have any place better to go. I just can't think of a more terrible event to attend.

Old Today, 05:34 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,715,559 times
it is a myth that living in an RV is cheaper than living in an apartment or home. Gas cost, campground fees and other expenses nullify possible savings. Unless you want to try and be stealth and be on the move all the time. Doesn't sound like much of a life to me.

Old Today, 08:06 AM

9,473 posts, read 16,437,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Itís a fun challenge. I get it. I like it, too.

As for showers, itís like no one ever heard of sponge baths. You do have a way to heat water, right?
Yes I do. I have a one burner stove and a small dish tub and a folding table. I heat one pan of water and fill the rest with cold and I can wash my hair on down and I can do this in or out of the van. If I want privacy I have a light shower curtain that I attach to the van with ceramic magnets. Iím clean and well dressed enough to blend into a group on most days lol.

Quote:
What I would like to know is why you have a problem at all? Has your neighborhood been taken over by wild eyed born again hippies? What does it matter to you how other people choose to live? Have you ever done this or are you only supposing how it might be?

I keep my van clean and donít have any bumper stickers and when I pull into a neighborhood I make sure Iím going to blend in with the other cars on the street. I pull in late and leave early and the only time I almost got the police called was in a Seattle neighborhood when the night before someone in a white van had ripped off several folks in the neighborhood. I discovered this thru conversation with the man whose house I had parked in front of and he had no problem with me staying once he realized I was most likely not the thief. Itís not like I camp out five days in a row or something...Iíve got better things to do. Never the same place twice in a row.

OP, there is a Facebook site called Boondocking & Free camping USA.

Old Today, 08:29 AM

26,905 posts, read 58,020,547 times
Quote:
What I would like to know is why you have a problem at all?
Because the practice has become an obnoxious imposition on everyone else.

Live where your income can afford the rent.
Share space if that's required to afford it.
Use the RV when out in the wilderness or parks.

It's not all that complicated.
Figure out your own particular situation.

Old Today, 09:10 AM

9,473 posts, read 16,437,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Because the practice has become an obnoxious imposition on everyone else.

Live where your income can afford the rent.
Share space if that's required to afford it.
Use the RV when out in the wilderness or parks.

It's not all that complicated.
Figure out your own particular situation.
So please tell me your story of how youíve been obnoxiously imposed upon.

Old Today, 09:21 AM

4,559 posts, read 3,021,266 times
Quote:
Yes I do. I have a one burner stove and a small dish tub and a folding table. I heat one pan of water and fill the rest with cold and I can wash my hair on down and I can do this in or out of the van. If I want privacy I have a light shower curtain that I attach to the van with ceramic magnets. Iím clean and well dressed enough to blend into a group on most days lol.

What I would like to know is why you have a problem at all? Has your neighborhood been taken over by wild eyed born again hippies? What does it matter to you how other people choose to live? Have you ever done this or are you only supposing how it might be?

I keep my van clean and donít have any bumper stickers and when I pull into a neighborhood I make sure Iím going to blend in with the other cars on the street. I pull in late and leave early and the only time I almost got the police called was in a Seattle neighborhood when the night before someone in a white van had ripped off several folks in the neighborhood. I discovered this thru conversation with the man whose house I had parked in front of and he had no problem with me staying once he realized I was most likely not the thief. Itís not like I camp out five days in a row or something...Iíve got better things to do. Never the same place twice in a row.

OP, there is a Facebook site called Boondocking & Free camping USA.
Thanks for the information. I'm going to check those out.

As for those who are opposed to the idea, no one is asking or advising you to do it. To me it looks fascinating, a lifestyle that is reminiscent of the pioneer who took chances in starting a new way of life. People who are looking for the beauty of our great land and freedom to explore it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living