U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 12:04 PM

26,914 posts, read 58,045,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
To me it looks fascinating, a lifestyle that is reminiscent of the pioneer...
People who are looking for the beauty of our great land and freedom to explore it.
You're describing a very different use of Campers and RV's and a very different 'lifestyle'
than what the opposition does: the "fulltimers" staying on city streets.
Quote:
As for those who are opposed to the idea, no one is asking or advising you to do it.
Just be clear about which end of the stick you're holding:
the classic 'on the road' life vs the miscreant looking for burned out streetlights to park under.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 12:27 PM

20,463 posts, read 26,595,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post

What I would like to know is why you have a problem at all? Has your neighborhood been taken over by wild eyed born again hippies? What does it matter to you how other people choose to live? Have you ever done this or are you only supposing how it might be?
While I wouldn't necessarily describe them as "wild eyed hippies," it's actually become quite a problem in my community. And if you're parking your van in residential neighborhoods, as you've stated you do, to avoid paying campground fees, you're a part of that problem. Van/run-down RV camping has actually gotten so bad in a some areas that it's become a public health hazard (and most city police departments are too overwhelmed to respond to every call about yet another van parked where it shouldn't be).

I also live in a part of the country that's experiencing significant wildfire activity, and dispersed campers are thought to cause a lot of the fires.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-05-2018 at 01:10 PM..

Old 11-05-2018, 12:29 PM

13,453 posts, read 24,259,357 times
I have good friends who currently live in AZ who have an RV. They enjoy it and travel quite often but the one thing that impresses me is that it is very expensive. Fuel to fill that RV may well be close to what you pay for rent! Space rent is not cheap either. And something on the RV is always breaking and needs to be repaired or replaced. And the repairs are never cheap either because the repair person usually has to come to you!

Over the years I have read about RV living being touted as a cheap way to go but it would honestly be cheaper for them to fly, rent a car, and stay in a nice hotel!

Old 11-05-2018, 01:16 PM

4,564 posts, read 3,023,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I have good friends who currently live in AZ who have an RV. They enjoy it and travel quite often but the one thing that impresses me is that it is very expensive. Fuel to fill that RV may well be close to what you pay for rent! Space rent is not cheap either. And something on the RV is always breaking and needs to be repaired or replaced. And the repairs are never cheap either because the repair person usually has to come to you!

Over the years I have read about RV living being touted as a cheap way to go but it would honestly be cheaper for them to fly, rent a car, and stay in a nice hotel!
In my reading, rv living is not listed as cheap. Van, car and trailers or tents are. When I read about the true rv living it is from people who have had a good salary, investments and savings and are now rewarding themselves for a job well done and can afford that lifestyle.

Being able to park in nature, making your own food, relaxing in camp chairs outside, beats hotels every time, to my way of thinking. There was a couple I knew that had land by the lake and every year, when it got warm they brought their rv to their land and would spend vacations and weekends at the lake.

I was young and did not understand their reasoning. I do now.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:34 PM

9,475 posts, read 16,442,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
While I wouldn't necessarily describe them as "wild eyed hippies," it's actually become quite a problem in my community. And if you're parking your van in residential neighborhoods, as you've stated you do, to avoid paying campground fees, you're a part of that problem. Van/run-down RV camping has actually gotten so bad in a some areas that it's become a public health hazard (and most city police departments are too overwhelmed to respond to every call about yet another van parked where it shouldn't be).

I also live in a part of the country that's experiencing significant wildfire activity, and dispersed campers are thought to cause a lot of the fires.
OK Metla , I am seeking to understand. What exactly is it that bothers you about having an extra vehicle parked in your neighborhood at night? Trashy rundown cars? Mine is notóit is clean inside and out. I seek to blend in and it looks much like the other cars in the neighborhoodóI steer clear of the fancy places where there are no cars parked on zither street. People pulling their lawn chairs out and setting up shop? I donít. I simply sleep there and leave in the morning and Iíve never so much as gotten the hairy eyeball because itís not obvious what Iím up to. Yes there will always be abusers but thatís true in everything that anyone does.

And while I often camp in wilderness areas, I donít feel the need for campfires and if I have one I put it out and I make it so you canít even tell there was fire there. I have never made a fire when there is a fire ban and I have also picked up quantities of trash that others have left behind because Iím a Girl Scout and believe in leaving a place better than I found it.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
OK Metla , I am seeking to understand. What exactly is it that bothers you about having an extra vehicle parked in your neighborhood at night? Trashy rundown cars? Mine is not—it is clean inside and out. I seek to blend in and it looks much like the other cars in the neighborhood—I steer clear of the fancy places where there are no cars parked on zither street. People pulling their lawn chairs out and setting up shop? I don’t. I simply sleep there and leave in the morning and I’ve never so much as gotten the hairy eyeball because it’s not obvious what I’m up to. Yes there will always be abusers but that’s true in everything that anyone does.

And while I often camp in wilderness areas, I don’t feel the need for campfires and if I have one I put it out and I make it so you can’t even tell there was fire there. I have never made a fire when there is a fire ban and I have also picked up quantities of trash that others have left behind because I’m a Girl Scout and believe in leaving a place better than I found it.
This isn't about you. Just because you were in Girl Scouts doesn't negate the fact that human activity is a principle cause of the wildfires that are destroying areas of the American West, and campfires aren't the only way these fires get started. Just because your van is "clean" doesn't negate the fact that urban "boondocking" is creating both a public health hazard and a public nuisance in our cities. ETA I think a lot of people would be disconcerted at the sight of some strange van pulling up and parking in front of their home late at night.

There really isn't anything you can say to change my mind about van camping in residential neighborhoods, but my point was really to convey to the OP that there's increasing pushback in some neighborhoods about this type of activity. People who intend on living in their vehicles should know this.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-05-2018 at 02:31 PM..

Old 11-05-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
This isn't about you. Just because you were in Girl Scouts doesn't negate the fact that human activity is a principle cause of the wildfires that are destroying areas of the American West, and campfires aren't the only way these fires get started. Just because your van is "clean" doesn't negate the fact that urban "boondocking" is creating both a public health hazard and a public nuisance in our cities. ETA I think a lot of people would be disconcerted at the sight of some strange van pulling up and parking in front of their home late at night.

There really isn't anything you can say to change my mind about van camping in residential neighborhoods, but my point was really to convey to the OP that there's increasing pushback in some neighborhoods about this type of activity. People who intend on living in their vehicles should know this.
This is about me because you are talking to me. I looked up the most common causes for campfires and they are 1. Campfires left unattended (could be boondockers or folks in campgrounds). 2. People burning brush. (Residents). 3. Cigarette flippers (could be anyone who smokes). 4. Arson. (Could be anyone but probably not simple folks living in vans).

Also Iím not trying to change your mind as it is obviously made up...Iím trying to figure out exactly how this is a health hazard or how it impacts you personally, not how you imagine it might impact others. Blaming wildfires on us is rather flimsy at best.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:31 PM

15,282 posts, read 15,266,256 times
If you are living in a van or RV, you can be decent, respectful, a non-troublemaker and you will still get your share of grief. A small percentage of RVers who do stuff like litter, get drunk and/or doped-up and raise hell in the area they are staying, dump their black-tanks anywhere and everywhere, let their wildeyed Pitbulls run loose, etc, etc, etc...... A small percentage ruin things for the rest.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
This is about me because you are talking to me. I looked up the most common causes for campfires and they are 1. Campfires left unattended (could be boondockers or folks in campgrounds). 2. People burning brush. (Residents). 3. Cigarette flippers (could be anyone who smokes). 4. Arson. (Could be anyone but probably not simple folks living in vans).

Also I’m not trying to change your mind as it is obviously made up...I’m trying to figure out exactly how this is a health hazard or how it impacts you personally, not how you imagine it might impact others. Blaming wildfires on us is rather flimsy at best.

The majority of the major wildfires in the American West start deep in remote areas with no campgrounds and no homeowners "burning brush." In this area, some are caused by lightening, but human activity remains a significant cause, and I've heard more than a couple of public officials point to this boondocking thing as part of the problem.

One little old lady sneaking around parking her van in residential neighborhoods to avoid campground costs probably isn't much of a health hazard, but normalizing that sort of activity leads to situations like the one described in the link below -- and since living in vehicles seems to have replaced tiny homes as the trend du jour, those who don't want to see their neighborhoods (or public lands) trashed have a valid concern.

https://www.portlandmercury.com/news...rtland-streets

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-05-2018 at 03:48 PM..

Old 11-05-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
The majority of the major wildfires in the American West start deep in remote areas with no campgrounds and no homeowners "burning brush." In this area, some are caused by lightening, but human activity remains a significant cause, and I've heard more than a couple of public officials point to this boondocking thing as part of the problem.

One little old lady sneaking around parking her van in residential neighborhoods to avoid campground costs probably isn't much of a health hazard, but normalizing that sort of activity leads to situations like the one described in the link below -- and since living in vehicles seems to have replaced tiny homes as the trend du jour, those who don't want to see their neighborhoods (or public lands) trashed have a valid concern.

https://www.portlandmercury.com/news...rtland-streets
I read the entire article and it was interesting but irrelevant to what the OP wants to do. It said that police are targeting the worst cases like crumbling RVs with leaking sewage, hypodermic needles strewn about, and other things people do that are thoroughly obnoxious. Of course, and youíd be upset if your neighbors in a house were doing that as well. Also, it points to the fact that when people become homeless they often move into abandoned RVs and it seems there are plenty of those lying around because the system offers no way for people to have them destroyed and the cops in Portland have no idea what to do with them either. Believe me, when I have an alternative to parking in neighborhoods I take it because Walmart has bathrooms and food. After sightseeing beautiful places all day I donít mind Walmart or truck stops at all. Neighborhoods are last resorts for me because I have no desire to get woke up at 3:00 am and asked to move on.

As for the campfires, most boondockers I know donít even bother because itís a hassle and more of a social thing and I like the smell of the woods. If I had to guess Iíd say your source of backwoods fires is teenagers having a party and I have found plenty of evidence of that sort of activity in the back country and Iíve cleaned up after some of them too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living