U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 04:26 PM

4,569 posts, read 3,026,041 times

Advertisements

That article is so sad. Cities like Portland, San Francisco, New York, etc are taking the brunt of the 'bad guys'.

Yes, you can point to that and say, shame, disgusting, etc. There are always going to be some bad apples in every circumstance.

This is not what the discussion is about. I have been talking about people who desire to live with nature and embrace a simple lifestyle.

It's easy to twist something to your way of thinking. I just wish you hadn't decided to twist this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 04:26 PM

20,470 posts, read 26,600,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
If you are living in a van or RV, you can be decent, respectful, a non-troublemaker and you will still get your share of grief. A small percentage of RVers who do stuff like litter, get drunk and/or doped-up and raise hell in the area they are staying, dump their black-tanks anywhere and everywhere, let their wildeyed Pitbulls run loose, etc, etc, etc...... A small percentage ruin things for the rest.
Well, this is exactly it. We get plenty of RVers through here, and for the most part, they aren't a problem. But the stealth campers are, and there are more and more of them all the time. Nobody has any way of knowing what's inside a van camped in front of their home, and exterior appearances aren't always a reliable indicator. And like it or not, vans have a pretty strong cultural association with crime.

It's legal to sleep at rest areas, and those places have public bathrooms and pet areas. Probably a better option for van campers than on residential streets.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:29 PM

4,163 posts, read 1,503,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
it is a myth that living in an RV is cheaper than living in an apartment or home. Gas cost, campground fees and other expenses nullify possible savings. Unless you want to try and be stealth and be on the move all the time. Doesn't sound like much of a life to me.
They don't pay campground fees. They boondock for free in Walmart parking lots, or on BLM land in the desert. That leaves just the cost of their vehicle. Which most people have a vehicle anyway, even if they rent. So they save whatever their rent would be, plus utility costs. That is a savings of over $1,000 a month for most people.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 11-05-2018 at 04:42 PM..

Old 11-05-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post

This is not what the discussion is about. I have been talking about people who desire to live with nature and embrace a simple lifestyle.
Someone mentioned parking their van in residential neighborhoods, and I responded. It's a huge problem in many areas.

I totally support your dream of buying a van and living with nature. There are campgrounds, dispersed camping areas, and rest stops available for those living "the life."

Old 11-05-2018, 04:33 PM

4,163 posts, read 1,503,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Because the practice has become an obnoxious imposition on everyone else.

Live where your income can afford the rent.
Share space if that's required to afford it.
Use the RV when out in the wilderness or parks.

It's not all that complicated.
Figure out your own particular situation.
That is exactly what they are doing. They can't afford rent, so they are living where their income can afford, in an RV or more likely a van.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:39 PM

9,477 posts, read 16,451,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It's legal to sleep at rest areas, and those places have public bathrooms and pet areas. Probably a better option for van campers than on residential streets.
Actually this is not an option. Most rest stops have signs posted forbidding overnight camping. Also they are pretty dicey safety-wise. The only time I ever got hassled on my trip was when I got sleepy and had to catch a few winks at one, one night. First time in years I got called sexy tho.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:07 PM

Some states allow sleeping at rest stops, others don't, for now. That'll likely change in the aftermath of a certain 9th Circuit Court ruling concerning sleeping in publicly owned spaces. ETA cities are increasingly adopting regulations banning sleeping in vehicles. I guess there's always the WalMart parking lots.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-05-2018 at 05:24 PM..

Old 11-05-2018, 05:46 PM

26,919 posts, read 58,068,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
They can't afford rent, so they are living where their income can afford, in an RV or more likely a van.
Nope. At best it's a filtered version of that idea.
They need to leave the city they prefer ... but choose to stay even if it means living like this.
The rest of their spiel is an attempt to normalize their behavior. You can't.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:47 PM

15,299 posts, read 15,273,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Well, this is exactly it. We get plenty of RVers through here, and for the most part, they aren't a problem. But the stealth campers are, and there are more and more of them all the time. Nobody has any way of knowing what's inside a van camped in front of their home, and exterior appearances aren't always a reliable indicator. And like it or not, vans have a pretty strong cultural association with crime.

Well, I have been living in my van for a while. Currently I am staying more in motels....but at first I was mostly in the van. I NEVER stay in front of houses or park in residential areas. I park at night, after hours, usually in industrial-areas. Walmart parking-lots, yeeesh, those places are a freakshow.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I read the entire article and it was interesting but irrelevant to what the OP wants to do. It said that police are targeting the worst cases like crumbling RVs with leaking sewage, hypodermic needles strewn about, and other things people do that are thoroughly obnoxious. Of course, and you’d be upset if your neighbors in a house were doing that as well. Also, it points to the fact that when people become homeless they often move into abandoned RVs and it seems there are plenty of those lying around because the system offers no way for people to have them destroyed and the cops in Portland have no idea what to do with them either. Believe me, when I have an alternative to parking in neighborhoods I take it because Walmart has bathrooms and food. After sightseeing beautiful places all day I don’t mind Walmart or truck stops at all. Neighborhoods are last resorts for me because I have no desire to get woke up at 3:00 am and asked to move on.

As for the campfires, most boondockers I know don’t even bother because it’s a hassle and more of a social thing and I like the smell of the woods. If I had to guess I’d say your source of backwoods fires is teenagers having a party and I have found plenty of evidence of that sort of activity in the back country and I’ve cleaned up after some of them too.
OK...again, my comments have been specific to van camping in residential neighborhoods -- you brought it up and tried to make it seem like a viable option, and I'm explaining why it's not. It's actually illegal in most places, and again, neighborhood residents in many areas are pushing back because they're tired of it. Anyone considering doing this needs to know they may not be welcome.

Of course the OP doesn't plan on living in the type of situation described in the article; the point, again, waste explain to you why most of us don't want van camping normalized or even glamorized in our neighborhoods and why we don't want you around.

You'd be guessing wrong about the source of the "backwoods fires;" even though one of the most infamous fires was indeed started by a teenager. But most of these fires are starting in backcountry areas that take hours to access. Teenagers on a lark go to the nearest river or lake for their parties. This is the Pacific Northwest; we've got vast areas of wilderness that aren't quickly accessible, but "boondocking" has brought more people to these places. .

It's not just the campfires; a hot exhaust on dried out vegetation can spark a fire as well. I think I'll go ahead and take the word of local officials when they say that human activity in remote areas is a major factor in the rise of these fires. It's gotten so bad they're thinking of closing certain areas next year

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-05-2018 at 07:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living