Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2018, 05:58 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'm sorry, OP, I know you don't appreciate my posts, but I think that you or anyone else considering voluntarily living this lifestyle should understand the realities of stealth camping in residential neighborhoods even on an occasional basis. My comments have been specific to stealth camping in residential communities, and people in many areas don't want vans creeping in their neighborhoods, and I'm sorry, but the blackout window covers that the van life gurus advise don't do a thing to increase public trust. It doesn't sound as if you've ever lived anywhere where this has been an issue. Maybe you're not even thinking about parking in residential neighborhoods. but it was brought up in this thread.
Metla you Would have gotten a lot further with me in your explanation of why camping in a residential neighborhood is not advisable if you hadn’t gone into straight on attack mode with your “Excuse me!” We all know what tone of voice generally accompanies that choice of words. Chances are very good that I did not camp in front of your house and if I had done so it would have been for one night and you likely would not have even noticed so I’m not sure why you chose to take all of your vitriol out on me but you had spoken to me more reasonably rather than rudely while sneering at my “senior on a lark” status, chances are that I would have acknowledged that you had a point, apologized,and promised not to do it again. I get that you all are getting concerned about the sheer numbers of people living and traveling in their cars but we are still very much in the minority and we use a lot fewer of earth’s resources than your average suburbanite with the big a$$ lawn that has to be mowed and poisoned to death. But mostly you don’t get to tell me how to live my life and I will refrain from telling you how to live yours.

Also, may I suggest that if this is a huge problem in your neighborhood that you post signs that say “no overnight camping “? The decent law abiding seniors on a lark will abide by them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 06:38 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Well, just to put your mind at rest, I don't cultivate a "big ass lawn" or use any type of chemical controls in my yard and garden area. You're making a lot of assumptions that have nothing to do with this issue. As far as me not "getting to tell you how to live your life," I actually get to do exactly that when you're willfully violating laws and ordinances by stealth camping where it's not allowed.

You certainly seem to want to make this personal; but the point is is that those living in residential areas in places popular with stealth campers aren't looking the other way so much anymore, and that's way outside any personal feelings I may have about them. Sorry you're so angry about this, but we don't owe you a place to camp, and the laws in most areas are on our side.

It's like this guy said:

Quote:
Even if Stepka is perfect and ideal at all times and in all circumstances
and even if everyone else also doing it is similarly perfect and ideal in their practices... it doesn't matter.

Whatever tolerance and forbearance by the public the FIRST stealth camper may have encountered
the growth in raw numbers since then has long ago drained the reservoir of good will.
I don't care where you park your van as long as you do so where it's legal, and you've clearly stated that you're aware that most residential neighborhoods have ordinances against it. Yet they continue to be a "last resort" instead of going to a legit campground or a motel.

Quote:
Neighborhoods are last resorts for me because I have no desire to get woke up at 3:00 am and asked to move on.
BTW, I'm pretty sure I would notice a van creeping around late at night here. My neighbors would as well. Nonetheless, even if no one noticed, you still wouldn't have a right to be there.

The OP doesn't really sound like she's going to be creeping around neighborhoods late at night anyway.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-06-2018 at 08:07 PM..

Old 11-06-2018, 09:18 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
No, that's nowhere in my plan. I'm checking into places where there will be other people around. It appears that there are a lot of national parks, Blm land where camping is allowed but the LTV (long term vcation) sites really interest me as there are bathrooms, showers, water, dump stations and internet. I think I would be more comfortable there and there is a greater chance of meeting people closer to my age.

I have nothing against young people but after working for so many years I just want to relax and enjoy life now. I've never explored this beautiful land and want to do that. Outside of the three years I spent in San Francisco, I have lived in Minnesota my entire life.

Watching the videos on being a nomad, I could kick myself for not exploring when I came to visit Arizona to see if I would like to live here. I was a chicken and stayed in motels every night. A lot of missed opportunity there.

But I didn't even know I could camp out. Well, I would have been too scared to even try it. BUt, watching a road trip one person took, from North Dakota to the west I realized he took the same route I took to come here. But he stopped in campgrounds, not motels.

It wasn't even the money as I had saved for the trip. It was the missed opportunity to be with nature. It wasn't until someone mentioned people living a nomad life that I even thought about it.

Now I'm fascinated. I'm not even sure it's something I will do but I do know I'm at the very least going to go camping. There were/are quite a few women who either slept in their cars, vans or tents. The one thing they all mentioned was that because of the small space it led them to spend a lot of time outside which led to a greater appreciation of nature an d their environment.

I do sit on my patio but that is in no way communing with nature. I have a view of the mountains and they are beautiful. I want to be closer to them.

I want to see streams and rivers. I want to see forests. I just want to see more of this beautiful land, not just the glimpses I got traveling from Minnesota to here. I was too busy paying attention to my driving to pay a lot of attention to the scenery. I didn't really see what was right in front of me.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:08 PM

Wow. From the way you write about it, this is something you need to do even if you decide against doing it full-time. Not sure what it's like in your part of Arizona, but one of my favorite parts is Oak Valley between Flagstaff and Sedona — just gorgeous. The Petrified Forest is also amazing.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:53 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I did mention that I would not get an rv but a van. I'm exploring options in life. Thinking outside the box type of thing. It took me two full years of research before I moved out of Minnesota. And look what happened. I may even explore in my Cube. Who knows?
Why don't you? Start planning now for an extended trip in your Cube. Where do you want to go? What sort of creature comforts do you need/want to camp out of your Cube for a month or two? Start researching. Take your trip without purchasing anything major or letting go of your apartment.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Why don't you? Start planning now for an extended trip in your Cube. Where do you want to go? What sort of creature comforts do you need/want to camp out of your Cube for a month or two? Start researching. Take your trip without purchasing anything major or letting go of your apartment.
Funny you should mention that. One of my reservations has been that I have a rescue cat and, at first I thought, well I can have someone in to feed her and take care of the litter box. Then I realized it has taken us a whole year for her to trust me and for me to read her cues as to what she wants/needs. (Obviously animals are important to me). So I don't want to leave her.

I talked to my older brother, who has been with me through the whole trauma of losing my son, encouraged me to move to a better place and climate for me and just being there for me. He moved with three cats and a dog and had no problems.

I'm going to ask more questions from those who've been there and done that but it really sounds like a plan. I just might do this!

Petunia, my first trip would be to the rtr,rubber tramp rendezvous, in January, here in Arizona. I believe I already said I renewed my lease on my apartment for another year so I have that time to really think about what I'm going to do.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:29 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Funny you should mention that. One of my reservations has been that I have a rescue cat and, at first I thought, well I can have someone in to feed her and take care of the litter box. Then I realized it has taken us a whole year for her to trust me and for me to read her cues as to what she wants/needs. (Obviously animals are important to me). So I don't want to leave her.

I talked to my older brother, who has been with me through the whole trauma of losing my son, encouraged me to move to a better place and climate for me and just being there for me. He moved with three cats and a dog and had no problems.

I'm going to ask more questions from those who've been there and done that but it really sounds like a plan. I just might do this!

Petunia, my first trip would be to the rtr,rubber tramp rendezvous, in January, here in Arizona. I believe I already said I renewed my lease on my apartment for another year so I have that time to really think about what I'm going to do.
I travel with my cat. She doesn't love it, but she accepts it better than she accepted being home alone (for short trips) or in a kennel (for long trips). But she's older and sleeps most of the time anyway - and I suspect she would have objected pretty strenuously when she was younger! It all depends on the cat. There are other RVing cats around too.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I travel with my cat. She doesn't love it, but she accepts it better than she accepted being home alone (for short trips) or in a kennel (for long trips). But she's older and sleeps most of the time anyway - and I suspect she would have objected pretty strenuously when she was younger! It all depends on the cat. There are other RVing cats around too.
Yay! That is so good to know. Thank you.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:48 PM

Just curious — how do those of you who travel with pets while living in your vans or cars keep them safe from heatstroke when it's necessary to leave them alone in a parked vehicle? Things heat up really quickly when outdoor temps are 70 or higher.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:58 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Wow. From the way you write about it, this is something you need to do even if you decide against doing it full-time. Not sure what it's like in your part of Arizona, but one of my favorite parts is Oak Valley between Flagstaff and Sedona — just gorgeous.
Oak Creek Canyon, an endless source of wonder and beauty.

You'd have to be dead not to appreciate it. I find something new every time I go.

And for those who are van-dwellers, wonder of wonders there is a spring at one of the campgrounds. Free water tested periodically to ensure its purity and you can fill up as many containers as you can bring. It's called Sterling Spring and it's near Pine Flat Campground. You can't miss it -- the outlet pipe is right next to the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living