Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 09:28 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
The bad side is that it brings the awful cable model, and bloated pricing, to a market that was thriving and growing on a very consumer-friendly 'cafeteria' model.
I imagine that the future of streaming will be following the model of AT&T Watch TV. The channel selection will be a chosen from a major media corporation (in this case AT&T) and appended to it will be selections from minor media corporations (Crown Media, A&E, AMC, and DISCOVERY). Monthly price for AT&T Watch TV of $15 is comparable to Netflix ($13) or HBO Now ($15). Philo TV ($16) follows a similar business model only built around Viacom channels.

CNN --------- AT&T
HLN --------- AT&T
TBS --------- AT&T
TCM --------- AT&T
TNT --------- AT&T
truTV --------- AT&T
Audience --------- AT&T
Boomerang --------- AT&T
Cartoon Network --------- AT&T
Hallmark Channel --------- Crown Media
Hallmark Movies and Mysteries --------- Crown Media
A&E --------- A&E
FYI --------- A&E
History --------- A&E
Lifetime --------- A&E
Lifetime Movie Network --------- A&E
Viceland --------- A&E
AMC --------- AMC
BBC America --------- AMC
BBC World News --------- AMC
IFC --------- AMC
Sundance TV --------- AMC
WE TV --------- AMC
Discovery Channel --------- DISCOVERY
Animal Planet --------- DISCOVERY
Food Network --------- DISCOVERY
HGTV --------- DISCOVERY
Investigation Discovery --------- DISCOVERY
OWN --------- DISCOVERY
TLC --------- DISCOVERY
Velocity --------- DISCOVERY

I think the current streaming packages that mimic traditional cable combining channels from Disney, Comcast and AT&T will vanish as the corporations grow more competitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 09:56 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
i think at some point there will be no need for the live tv. old people are used to it but kids have no interest in it. the only thing you need live tv for is sports. people may even get used to not watching sports live.

we dont need live tv in my house. the biggest issue i have is with the channel selection. i dont need 100+ channels but the i need to have the ones my wife watches. i found that if i combined a couple of the streaming services i could make it work but then it becomes too much of a headache for the savings. but for people who have a greater need for the savings, its doable. for other people that can be satisfied with less channels, its very doable.

my wife said that dish dropped a few times so she was complaining about the experience.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:21 AM

372 posts, read 219,808 times
Had Foxtel; for about 2 years, until I was able to get an ISP with a lot more data, then went to Netflix , which I think is great.

The Foxtel cost $65 a month, and it was often harder to find anything I wanted to watch . Today I watch Netflix, YouTube, anda lot of shows ion MP4--I have a hard drive attached to the router, so can watch on any device .Also have a large DVD collection.

Only live I watch TV is the news.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:46 PM

914 posts, read 642,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think at some point there will be no need for the live tv. old people are used to it but kids have no interest in it. the only thing you need live tv for is sports. people may even get used to not watching sports live.

we dont need live tv in my house. the biggest issue i have is with the channel selection. i dont need 100+ channels but the i need to have the ones my wife watches. i found that if i combined a couple of the streaming services i could make it work but then it becomes too much of a headache for the savings. but for people who have a greater need for the savings, its doable. for other people that can be satisfied with less channels, its very doable.

my wife said that dish dropped a few times so she was complaining about the experience.
I believe we all prefer live up to the second TV absolutely. With all the action as it happens at a great pace, one needs to be able to see live as opposed to the pre-recorded, as yesterday's news, even the last hour's news/sports, Hollywood, etc... is obsolete within a short period of time. At least for me it is. I rarely care about what happened yesterday.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
I believe we all prefer live up to the second TV absolutely. With all the action as it happens at a great pace, one needs to be able to see live as opposed to the pre-recorded, as yesterday's news, even the last hour's news/sports, Hollywood, etc... is obsolete within a short period of time. At least for me it is. I rarely care about what happened yesterday.
how old are you? i think this is something that is changing with time. as i talk to more people even my age there is little desire to be watching new shows spoon fed to them every week. almost everything i watch is coming off the DVR and the live shows i watch; id rather just wait until the season is over and then watch it on my time table.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:09 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
how old are you? i think this is something that is changing with time. as i talk to more people even my age there is little desire to be watching new shows spoon fed to them every week. almost everything i watch is coming off the DVR and the live shows i watch; id rather just wait until the season is over and then watch it on my time table.
We are both in our 70s and what we watch live would be something like an emergency situation in our area or a catastrophic event anywhere in the country. Something like a 9/11 or a natural gas explosion in our immediate area. Any other news, I can just read online if I want to. I actually prefer to read it so I can take my time and think about it. I'll so go some place like reuters.com, which seems to be middle of the road. And I'll listen online to radio stations in the UK for a different perspective.

Not interested in sports unless the Red Sox are in the World Series, lol.

We have an antenna on one tv and also Brit Box, which we binge on. Brit Box is only $7/month. I know I could pay more and get something like Amazon Prime, but the idea is to cut the price and still have enough to watch. Between Brit Box and three PBS channels on the antenna tv, I don't need anything else. I have a couple of live local tv channels on antenna if I need live news.

Old 04-13-2019, 01:53 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
We're on the verge of dumping DirecTV for (gasp!) CABLE!

The new Spectrum bill will be $120 less than our DirecTV bill each month for the first year and they will raise it by $20 in the second year.

It's a no brainer cost wise and we don't have to play around with all of the streaming services. We like to watch TV the old fashioned way (just picking a show from the channels we get on the TV without picking which service, etc.).

Old 04-15-2019, 02:17 AM

372 posts, read 219,808 times
Had Foxtel while I was under a low data limit isp contract. Foxtel charged me $65 a month ,and it was often difficult to find something to watch. I think their prices and service (with Ads!) are outrageously bad.

When I had more data, I switched to Netflix; $14 a month HD, two devices. I will never have time to see everything I want to see.I guess there may be a better service around, but I'm happy with Netflix,

Old 04-15-2019, 06:22 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I don't watch televised sports, and I receive my news/current events mainly through reading and radio. So live TV is really wholly unimportant to me.

I'm 42, Gen X, and have never had cable TV. In childhood, I lived rurally, with a rooftop antenna and three, sometimes four, reliable network channels coming in. In college, I had no time for TV, ditto for my earliest professional years. So it became unimportant, and when Netflix began and was a disc delivery service, it was a whole new world. Once I had time to unwind with programming, I could watch it at my leisure. Never needed cable after that. We now have free Netflix with our mobile phone service, and pay for the base Hulu membership.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:05 PM

so i just got a new modem to replace my comcast leased modem.

i got the:

MOTOROLA MT7711 24X8 Cable Modem/Router with Two Phone Ports, DOCSIS 3.0 Modem, and AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router, for Comcast XFINITY Internet

i noticed that still my computer was about 85 mbps with the new modem. i had an old cat5e cable that was really long, probably 50 feet or so. i grabbed a 25 ft cat 6 cable and bam, 250 mbps. the speed i have with comcast is 150 mbps.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living