U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 01:24 PM

Location: Follow the oil exhaust cloud until you run out of gas, then turn left
919 posts, read 270,198 times

Advertisements

I have youtube-dl and three 3-terabyte hard drives; also I have several DVD drives, Amazon and DVD Shrink.

That's all anybody really needs.

Total monthly cost: whatever Ma Bell's overpricing my crappy VDSL service at this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 01:25 PM

16,556 posts, read 9,166,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Then why do you quote it as part of your cost above? Which argument are you trying to make, here?
You can't stream without internet, so those costs should be considered when evaluating your budget for such services.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:29 PM

Location: Follow the oil exhaust cloud until you run out of gas, then turn left
919 posts, read 270,198 times
Quote:
You can't stream with internet,

Wow. So I guess subspace communication became feasible a lot sooner than Mr Roddenberry predicted. Though apparently it already existed in some form well before the 70s according to Mr Adams.

"Have you ever streamed an entire TV series... without an Internet connection?

You will.

And the company that will bring it to you is AT&T."

Last edited by Ttark; 10-30-2018 at 01:39 PM..

Old 10-30-2018, 01:30 PM

4,306 posts, read 1,440,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
You can't stream with internet, so those costs should be considered when evaluating your budget for such services.
I assume you meant "without."

True, but you're tossing a meaningless number into the discussion. Many people can get internet for a lot less than $80 (especially if they realize they don't need unlimited data or super-speeds; hardly anyone does). Your cost is $0, which is a fairly rare situation. So neither number adds anything useful, here...

Old 10-30-2018, 01:32 PM

16,556 posts, read 9,166,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
Huh?

"Have you ever wanted to stream entire TV series... without an Internet connection?

You will.

And the company that will bring it to you is AT&T."
A typo on a small keyboard. Sorry. I meant to type "without." I will correct it.

That being said, you can subscribe and stream off public internet, so that bill isn't absolutely necessary, but it would be more complicated.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:26 PM

278 posts, read 136,256 times
I would definitely dump cable if it were just me. Haven't found a streaming service that includes all the channels my granddaughter watches. Currently have HULU, Netflix and Prime in addition to $80 a month Dish. Praying someday I can find a streaming service with all the stations she watches. Another thing is that in our market, we can't get ABC live and that is the news channel we like.....so, stuck with Dish for the moment. Does anyone know how much internet speed you actually need to stream? I suspect I have a much higher, more expensive speed than I actually need.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:03 PM

713 posts, read 206,616 times
DH liked pro and college sports and network news. After he died I switched to Google fiber for $70/month plus Netflix for $11/month. I'm a happy camper.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:27 PM

15,672 posts, read 15,613,885 times
I was staying at a Motel that had Hulu for the TV-service. I was not impressed......I did not don't have a good, fast connection so it truly sucked, buffering was spotty and slow. Also, what would have helped is if I could have turned down the video-resolution, just like on a YouTube video with a slower connection.....that option was not available, making Hulu basically worthless. Much of the interesting content required a purchase.

Old 10-31-2018, 03:09 AM

5,183 posts, read 1,370,420 times
Streaming services are now as bloated, packaged, and overpriced as cable services.

The entire point of cutting the cable was to get a custom tailored TV/movie experience but the big boys figured it out very quickly and now all the junk is bundled up together again.

When you buy a packaged streaming service, half the damn channels you will never watch.

At this point, subscribe to whatever you want because they’re going to get their money and push those crappy tv channels regardless

Old 10-31-2018, 08:56 AM

3,716 posts, read 2,139,065 times
I had Netflix on Roku before we moved to the new house.

I bought a second Roku for the second TV connection, but have yet to hook it up.

The problem IS. the cable company here jacks up the price fir internet connection only. So you are still paying $100 /m plus for whatever streaming service you take.

Its $140 to have net, cable ( 150+ channels) and phone service.

So by the time you pay $100/,m for net plus say $25 for sling youre spending about asmuch.

I dont see it saving much.

The cable company knows how to get around streamers!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or