Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 08:33 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times

Advertisements

I dumped cable TV over a year ago. My mother used it before she passed but I watch mostly stuff on the internet and some programs over the air broadcast. It cost me $160 to have a rooftop antenna installed which gives me 90 channels and I pay $40 a month for 25mbps which is plenty for the streaming I do. I am considering a streaming service for DIY/HGTV and possibly Foxnews though I get plenty of news on the web.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 08:42 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
We have Directv now and it works great. We also have Netflix and Amazon prime. We previously had Comcast and for their 2nd cheapest package we were paying $175 a month. We changed our ISP to a local one with no data cap for $50 a month and Directv now costs us $45 which includes HBO.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:44 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I was staying at a Motel that had Hulu for the TV-service. I was not impressed......I did not don't have a good, fast connection so it truly sucked, buffering was spotty and slow. Also, what would have helped is if I could have turned down the video-resolution, just like on a YouTube video with a slower connection.....that option was not available, making Hulu basically worthless. Much of the interesting content required a purchase.

So then Hulu wasn't the problem, it was the crappy internet you had. And people pay for Netflix why not Hulu? People pay for cable and then have to pay extra for additional content---same thing, really.

I hardly watch Netflix anymore---I watch Hulu more and more. I pay almost the same as Netflix (I think one is $10.99 and one is $11.99 because I pay for Hulu to be commercial-free.

It kind of sucks that everyone out there now is trying to offer streaming services, between CBS, Disney, etc. I think it'll all blow back on them eventually. I guess we'll see.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:38 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times
I'll be cutting cable in May. I received another notice for a rate increase from Comcast. While they have been giving me a good deal for the past 5 years, we don't watch cable as much as we use to watch it. I also have streaming services. I have Starz, HBO and Showtime.

I only pay $1 for them for 6 more months. I also have Netflix, Hulu and Prime. Yeah I know too much. I'll probably bundle down to Netflix (we use a family members account), Hulu, Prime and Showtime. I don't watch anything on Prime yet but I'm going to start a few original shows. I think my kids watch a few shows on Prime. I may add Philo or AT&T Watch.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:44 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
So then Hulu wasn't the problem, it was the crappy internet you had. And people pay for Netflix why not Hulu? People pay for cable and then have to pay extra for additional content---same thing, really.

I hardly watch Netflix anymore---I watch Hulu more and more. I pay almost the same as Netflix (I think one is $10.99 and one is $11.99 because I pay for Hulu to be commercial-free.

It kind of sucks that everyone out there now is trying to offer streaming services, between CBS, Disney, etc. I think it'll all blow back on them eventually. I guess we'll see.

Whatever way you slice it, the quality of Hulu's service is dependent on how good your internet-connection is. Even with a good internet-connection, most connections will have have periods where things are moving slowly.

Hulu and all other streaming-services should have a resolution-adjustment, that can be adjusted by the user, just like YouTube has on their videos.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:57 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Whatever way you slice it, the quality of Hulu's service is dependent on how good your internet-connection is. Even with a good internet-connection, most connections will have have periods where things are moving slowly.

Hulu and all other streaming-services should have a resolution-adjustment, that can be adjusted by the user, just like YouTube has on their videos.
One of the benefits to watching on a CRT TV I that I can put everything on the lowest resolution setting. With the fiber internet these days my connection is fast enough that it wouldn't matter, but some of the connections I've had in the past wouldn't have streamed in higher definition without buffering from time to time.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:13 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
I’m sure cable companies HATE streaming even though they are getting into it. With cable their might be 1-2 options in a given area...with streaming you have what 10 options available to anyone with internet? Less hardware too and no need for employees to install and service things.

Internet is where cable companies basically have a monopoly and they seem to continually raise rates which probably helps make up for lost tv service revenue. My internet is the cheapest available and the price has went up 66% within 2-3 years. I’m sure cable companies would probably like to offer 1 or 2 speeds where everyone pays something like $100-120/month just for internet. Everyone “needs” internet so if they can eventually get $100+ per home from 90% of homes...that’s a lot of revenue.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:41 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf33078 View Post
What are everyone’s favorite cable steaming service? My family and I have Philo and their 55 channels package for $20. We also have Netflix, Hulu, and ESPN+.

What does everyone else have and your thoughts on your package. Whether it be PlayStation Vue, directv now, sling tv, YouTube tv, Hulu live tv, Philo, at&t watch tv, fubo.
I have Philo for $16 per month. I absolutely love it. The interface is great, the channel selection is perfect for me and the functionality cannot be beat.

I also have TennisTV, AcornTV, BritBox, Netflix, Prime Video and Hulu.
I access everything via Roku so have lots of free channels as well and an OTA antenna to access local broadcast channels.
I am considering doing a trial of Hulu live tv so that I can watch the Australian Open.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:11 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
We have roku + sling + amazon prime (free through wife’s work).

Old 01-02-2019, 03:44 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Internet is where cable companies basically have a monopoly and they seem to continually raise rates which probably helps make up for lost tv service revenue. My internet is the cheapest available and the price has went up 66% within 2-3 years.
The cable companies basically have a monopoly for multi-person urban households. I think the unlimited 4K data with hotspot capabilities provides some competition today for the single person.

It is unclear what 5G will provide. Cable executives believe that as they start to build on the potential 10 Gbps of DOCSIS 3.1 that they will stay ahead of cellular. The build out for 5G will be extensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I’m sure cable companies would probably like to offer 1 or 2 speeds where everyone pays something like $100-120/month just for internet. Everyone “needs” internet so if they can eventually get $100+ per home from 90% of homes...that’s a lot of revenue.
Where I live in Eastern Pennsylvania, RCN has offered gigabit service now for 16 months. I agree with you that they probably will only offer 1/2 Gbs, and 1 Gbs within another 16 months and everyone will need a DOCSIS 3.1 modem.

Google Fiber stopped selling TV service to their new cities. They were selling 1 Gbs internet for $70, digital phone for $10, and basic television for $90. I suspect that they will offer their customers one month of free YouTube TV and a discount on some kind of android streaming device.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living