U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 07:39 AM

10,946 posts, read 4,410,358 times

Advertisements

I semi-cut my dish TV. I called them to cancel and told them I could no longer afford it. They offered to put me on stand-by which means I still get a few channels mostly things I'd never watch but the programming changes every month and I can still watch 3-4 channels that I might have an interest in such as HGTV, Hallmark, Cooking channel, Bloomberg, but it changes monthly and it's up to them. The monthly cost for this is $5.00 and some change. I've had this for several years now.

Most days, I keep the TV on to have some background noise and something to look at while I do other things. I also have Netflix and Prime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 07:49 AM

24,480 posts, read 31,698,959 times
No cable or satellite. Never have had it. I've never thought it was worth the money as I just don't have that much time to sit in front of the tv. I do pay for Netflix, and Amazon Prime. I watch those, and OTA. That's more than I could ever watch even if I was retired!

Old 01-02-2019, 10:14 AM

4,959 posts, read 4,840,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Whatever way you slice it, the quality of Hulu's service is dependent on how good your internet-connection is. Even with a good internet-connection, most connections will have have periods where things are moving slowly.

Hulu and all other streaming-services should have a resolution-adjustment, that can be adjusted by the user, just like YouTube has on their videos.
I agree. I just think there is only so much resolution-adjustment one should have to do or otherwise it's barely worth watching.

The one thing I HATED was when Hulu changed their interface. They changed it completely. I didn't understand it and over a year later, I still think it's horrible. The other thing they need to add to their app is the ability to set it so it will only stream over WiFi.

I think Netflix is making a mistake by slowly getting rid of other content to focus on their own shows. Some of the most streamed shows are older shows (like Friends) and over time, the only thing I find myself watching on Netflix are crime documentaries.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:04 PM

15,738 posts, read 15,697,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I agree. I just think there is only so much resolution-adjustment one should have to do or otherwise it's barely worth watching.

The one thing I HATED was when Hulu changed their interface. They changed it completely. I didn't understand it and over a year later, I still think it's horrible. The other thing they need to add to their app is the ability to set it so it will only stream over WiFi.

I think Netflix is making a mistake by slowly getting rid of other content to focus on their own shows. Some of the most streamed shows are older shows (like Friends) and over time, the only thing I find myself watching on Netflix are crime documentaries.

I kinda agree with you about the video-resolution..........going too low can make viewing that
grainy content kinda crummy. But that is what I do a lot on YouTube, when staying at places with
very slow internet-connections (motels), turn resolution down to 144p, kinda sucky, but better than
insanely slow buffering, or worse, content that just will not load at all if I have video-resolution
set to something like 360p or higher.

When I used Hulu, it seemed like most of the free stuff was barely worth watching.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:34 AM

1,297 posts, read 1,288,296 times
Quote:
But Roku has even bigger plans for the Roku Channel. As part of today’s announcement, Roku says you’ll soon be able to add up to 25 subscription-based collections, from providers like Showtime, Starz, and Epix, to the Roku Channel. This provides two key benefits: One monthly bill that covers all of your subscribed content, plus the ability to find all content — free or paid — through a unified search feature.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dig...streaming/amp/

All you need in one place. Free and paid.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:53 AM

8,993 posts, read 15,964,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
When I used Hulu, it seemed like most of the free stuff was barely worth watching.
I don't think Hulu has free content anymore. I signed up in the beginning - in fact my membership was still active when I signed up for the commercial-free platform a year or so ago - but as I recall it would just show partial episodes of current network shows.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:42 AM

24,480 posts, read 31,698,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dig...streaming/amp/

All you need in one place. Free and paid.
That link won’t load for me. What is it?

Old 01-04-2019, 06:44 AM

4,686 posts, read 3,277,875 times
We have Netflix and Hulu. And most of the time when we are streaming something to watch, we use Hulu, so we could probably get rid of Netflix...

Old 01-04-2019, 11:32 AM

1,271 posts, read 282,410 times
I use family member’s netflix to watch on my phone

Old 01-04-2019, 12:03 PM

612 posts, read 282,119 times
No cable or satellite TV for us. We cut the cord years ago, and while the children were a but distraught, they adjusted easily. We have Netflix, and Amazon Prime to watch shows with. We also use Redbox from time to time. We've found that we rarely watch more than an hour of TV a day/night, and sometimes not even that. It wasn't worth the monthly cost for something we we're barely using. The kids watch more TV, but we didn't feel like that was something they needed to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or