Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 08:57 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixlets82 View Post
Thanks for the tip, I'll make sure to look for this when searching for a new router
It may not specify MU-MIMO in the specs. Look for "802.11ac". My FIOS router has that, as do most newer ones I think.

MU-MIMO technology is also sometimes referred to as Next-Gen AC or AC Wave 2, the AC part referring to the 802.11ac protocol. Standards older than 802.11ac (such as 802.11b, g and n) do not support MU-MIMO.

When the standard came out a few years ago, only routers and access points supported the technology. Since then, many endpoint devices now support MU-MIMO (Wi-Fi chipmaker Qualcomm has a list of devices – including iPhones versions 6, 6 Plus and later – that incorporate its 802.11ac MU-MIMO technology, and the Wi-Fi Alliance has a list of more than 550 products with MU-MIMO technology).

https://www.networkworld.com/article...s-routers.html

Last edited by ChessieMom; 03-10-2019 at 09:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 10:31 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
It may not specify MU-MIMO in the specs. Look for "802.11ac". My FIOS router has that, as do most newer ones I think.

MU-MIMO technology is also sometimes referred to as Next-Gen AC or AC Wave 2, the AC part referring to the 802.11ac protocol. Standards older than 802.11ac (such as 802.11b, g and n) do not support MU-MIMO.

When the standard came out a few years ago, only routers and access points supported the technology. Since then, many endpoint devices now support MU-MIMO (Wi-Fi chipmaker Qualcomm has a list of devices – including iPhones versions 6, 6 Plus and later – that incorporate its 802.11ac MU-MIMO technology, and the Wi-Fi Alliance has a list of more than 550 products with MU-MIMO technology).

https://www.networkworld.com/article...s-routers.html
mu-mimo is not synonymous with 802.11ac. mu-mimo is part of the 802.11ac wave 2 standard

Quote:
802.11ac devices are split into two categories called 802.11ac Wave 1 and Wave 2. The products that are sold as part of the 802.11ac Wave 1 were introduced to the market in 2013, while the ones in Wave 2 were introduced in 2016. 802.11ac Wave 2 is an improved version of the 802.11ac standard. The 802.11ac Wave 2 wireless routers have higher throughput and add support for MU-MIMO: while the Wave 1 routers can provide speeds of up to 1.3 Gbps, the ones in Wave 2 can deliver speeds of up to 2.3 Gbps. Therefore, if you buy a wireless router today, it is a good idea to check that it offers support for 802.11ac Wave 2, to benefit from improved wireless speed and coverage.https://www.digitalcitizen.life/mu-mimo-wifi-router
There is a list of compatible routers at the bottom of that link

Old 03-10-2019, 10:50 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
OMG....I have no idea what you are talking about....but I love my cable service.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:04 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
We just cut the cord this week. Bill went up 78%! I called and tried to negotiate with them, but they wouldn't budge. So it was either pay $65 a month for high speed internet alone or $130 a month for internet plus cable. It made no sense for us to pay an extra $65 a month for 125 channels, most of which we don't watch. We have Hulu plus, Netflix, CBS All Access and an antenna for the local channels. So far the only thing we seem to miss is the NWS radar channel.

If we decide we want some sort of live TV package, Sling and Philo seem reasonable and at $45 a month, Hulu Live with DVR service would more than replace my cable. But right now we are just as happy without it and enjoying the cost savings.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:27 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,549,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im planning on cutting the cord soon. anyone have an opinion on the best live streaming service? directv now has the best channel lineup (even in the $40 package). so as long as the user experience is good, that is the one i plan to choose.
We have had Youtube TV now for a year. If you have a smart tv you can download the app. If you don’t you’ll need a Roku stick or comparable device for each tv. It is excellent. We get our three local network affiliate channels and 40 channels for $35 per month. The dvr records everything you select with no limit. But you cannot keep it indefinitely. You can watch it from your phone or tablet away from home as well. Picture quality is great. No issues for me whatsoever. Hope it stays as good as this.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:14 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
We have had Youtube TV now for a year. If you have a smart tv you can download the app. If you don’t you’ll need a Roku stick or comparable device for each tv. It is excellent. We get our three local network affiliate channels and 40 channels for $35 per month. The dvr records everything you select with no limit. But you cannot keep it indefinitely. You can watch it from your phone or tablet away from home as well. Picture quality is great. No issues for me whatsoever. Hope it stays as good as this.
I've been doing the 5-day trial with YouTube TV and have to say that I am very impressed with it.

For those who are reluctant to cut cable because they need access to live sports, this is a great alternative.
There are all kinds of sports channels, including ESPN, and as noted above, the picture is great.

I also like how their guide is arranged - locals are first and then the rest is arranged by category. All of the sports channels are together, lifestyle is together and so on.

The OnDemand/library feature is excellent as well.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:28 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Some things to keep in mind, HBO is $5 a month with Directv Now and it's not available through youtube TV, you would have to subscribe separately through HBO or Amazon for around $15 a month. And DirecTV Now has a number of channels that YouTube TV doesn’t - A&E, Animal Planet, Discovery, Food Network, Hallmark Channel, HGTV, History, Lifetime, MTV, Nickelodeon and TLC. Youtube TV has a better DVR, Directv Now's is $5 a month and only records 20 hours. We have Directv Now mainly because of the channels it offers that Youtube doesn't.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:38 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Some things to keep in mind, HBO is $5 a month with Directv Now and it's not available through youtube TV, you would have to subscribe separately through HBO or Amazon for around $15 a month. And DirecTV Now has a number of channels that YouTube TV doesn’t - A&E, Animal Planet, Discovery, Food Network, Hallmark Channel, HGTV, History, Lifetime, MTV, Nickelodeon and TLC. Youtube TV has a better DVR, Directv Now's is $5 a month and only records 20 hours. We have Directv Now mainly because of the channels it offers that Youtube doesn't.
I have Philo TV ($16.00 per month) for BBC America, Hallmark channels, Lifetime, Food, HGTV, etc. They have unlimited DVR and you can watch everything from the beginning of the program if you catch it while it is still "airing."
It also lets you return to watching shows if you stop in them in the middle.

For my purposes, it's enough most of the time as I have an OTA antenna for the locals.

I'm doing the YouTubeTV trial because I want(ed) more access to Tennis coverage than I currently have with TennisTV.

There are some shows due to start on FX that may convince me to keep it for a few months more.

If/when there is anything on HBO, Starz, Showtime, etc., that I want to watch, I'll just subscribe directly and cancel when I'm done.

The wonderful thing about these services is that there really is a configuration that should suit everyone's interests.

Old 03-11-2019, 02:03 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,420,628 times
Quote:
That's the main reason I signed up for DirectTV Now. They will be changing their plan and channels for new subscribers. Existing subscribers will pay $10 more a month. I'm keeping my existing account. DirectTV Now is the only streaming service that has all the channels we watch.

https://variety.com/2019/digital/new...es-1203160152/

Old 03-12-2019, 10:34 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
yeah, from what i have heard youtube tv works better but directv now has the channels that my wife watches.

im planning on trying the free trial period for directv now (and maybe others) when i am finished setting up the wired internet. someone came this past weekend to set up the cables and now they need to come to add a switch to get the ports i have throughout my house active. hopefully we will be ready to use them within a week.

here is a before and after so far:

how much does a forensic anthropologist make per year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living