U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-12-2019, 11:50 AM
 
6,452 posts, read 5,179,154 times
Reputation: 5021

Advertisements

If you have Spotify you can sign on to add Hulu. Check it out.

https://www.spotify.com/us/hulu/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-14-2019, 09:36 AM
 
Location: NJ
23,600 posts, read 29,705,736 times
Reputation: 15568
ok, so now my home network should be set up where i have wired internet in most rooms. most rooms have 2 ports in them and the house has cat5e wiring. so probably mostly this weekend i will play around and connect things and test the connections. right now i feel like im probably going to have to stick with comcast but get rid of a couple of the boxes and modem. so i should save a little. directv now's new lineup dropped some of the channels my wife watches and if she isnt satisfied, this isnt going to work. i just bought a new tv and it comes with a free month of sling tv, so ill test that out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2019, 02:59 AM
 
Location: Honolulu, HI
5,993 posts, read 1,677,946 times
Reputation: 8429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
We just cut the cord this week. Bill went up 78%! I called and tried to negotiate with them, but they wouldn't budge. So it was either pay $65 a month for high speed internet alone or $130 a month for internet plus cable. It made no sense for us to pay an extra $65 a month for 125 channels, most of which we don't watch.
I had the same situation. My $80 cable bill with two DVRs went up after the "24 month promtional period."I told my cable service to kicks rocks and get rid of my cable while keeping the internet. Now my bill is like $40 a month.

I don't miss any of the channels I once had. I have netflix, youtube, reddit (live sports streams), and torrents (movies).

There is no way cable companies have a sustaineble business model of charging their very last cable customers an increase on their bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2019, 01:44 PM
 
Location: NJ
23,600 posts, read 29,705,736 times
Reputation: 15568
so we have the 30 day trial of dish going and my wife seems happy with it. its still early but it works fine. im not sure if it can replace comcast but my wife was surprisingly positive about it.

one thing i wondered would be if we could expect an issue with a big event like the game of thrones season opener. we are having a bunch of people over for that and my wife would end my life if we had a problem then (no way im risking that). i was just wondering if the extreme popularity of the event could lead to a failure of the streaming service.

another possibly interesting piece of info is that it seems my wifi is substantially faster than my wired internet. from some online reading, it seems wifi technology can provide very fast internet and is less limited than the limits of my cat5e wiring. im still hopeful that it will benefit me to have completed the wiring of my house. it only cost me $375 to get all 26 Ethernet ports in my house active.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2019, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Honolulu
1,233 posts, read 495,698 times
Reputation: 1020
I still keep cable because of the local news, Olympics and World Cup Soccer. Unlike in the past which NBC broadcast just the semi-final and final games, last year NBC broadcast live almost every soccer game except 4 or 6 games which they put it in MSNBC.

Also have Hulu, Amazon and Netflix. Hardly watched Hulu. Mainly watched YouTube and Netflix.

After YouTube allowed uploading for over 20 minutes years ago, watching YouTube is more enjoyable. There are some movies and TV dramas which are only available in YouTube.

Netflix is the best deal. I pay less than $9/month and its been watched almost 18 hours/day. My kids take turn to watch it in East Coast. After they go to sleep, I watch Netflix in Hawaii. Then after I sleep, my brother watches it in Asia.

Netflix changes their policy. Starting sometime last year, you can log on from anywhere in the world by your password. It used to be depending where your server is located.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2019, 03:59 PM
 
448 posts, read 345,809 times
Reputation: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I had the same situation. My $80 cable bill with two DVRs went up after the "24 month promtional period."I told my cable service to kicks rocks and get rid of my cable while keeping the internet. Now my bill is like $40 a month.

I don't miss any of the channels I once had. I have netflix, youtube, reddit (live sports streams), and torrents (movies).

There is no way cable companies have a sustaineble business model of charging their very last cable customers an increase on their bills.
I hear you. However you have one major thing wrong, sadly. The cable companies have a sustainable business model . There is no more net netutality, the FCC got rid of it. Your internet connection isn't regulated like a utlity. If the provider wants to (and they will with time) they will simply censor and block any website they want to. You think they will not block pirate torrents sites?? LOL. Its going to happen they just will slowly start blocking sites they don't want you to see because humans don't react to slow loss or remember. If the few isp/cable companies win the upcoming court cases to restore net neutrality these changes will come down like a hammer to a nail. The internet will be as bland, expensive as cable TV. Remember cable TV in the peak was nothing like today. If you don't check out the old movie "Wayne's World".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2019, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Madison, Alabama
3,120 posts, read 1,439,561 times
Reputation: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so we have the 30 day trial of dish going and my wife seems happy with it. its still early but it works fine. im not sure if it can replace comcast but my wife was surprisingly positive about it.

one thing i wondered would be if we could expect an issue with a big event like the game of thrones season opener. we are having a bunch of people over for that and my wife would end my life if we had a problem then (no way im risking that). i was just wondering if the extreme popularity of the event could lead to a failure of the streaming service.

another possibly interesting piece of info is that it seems my wifi is substantially faster than my wired internet. from some online reading, it seems wifi technology can provide very fast internet and is less limited than the limits of my cat5e wiring. im still hopeful that it will benefit me to have completed the wiring of my house. it only cost me $375 to get all 26 Ethernet ports in my house active.
Isn't Game of Thrones a Netflix program? If it is, I can't imagine it making any difference whether you have Dish or Comcast. It's streaming on the Internet.

My hard-wired Ethernet connection is faster and more consistently so compared to my wifi. I swithched to 5GHz on my router and it's much faster than 2.4, but the signal isn't quite as strong, but that's not an issue in my house.

26 Ethernet ports? Is your name Trump?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2019, 10:20 AM
 
Location: NJ
23,600 posts, read 29,705,736 times
Reputation: 15568
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Isn't Game of Thrones a Netflix program? If it is, I can't imagine it making any difference whether you have Dish or Comcast. It's streaming on the Internet.

My hard-wired Ethernet connection is faster and more consistently so compared to my wifi. I swithched to 5GHz on my router and it's much faster than 2.4, but the signal isn't quite as strong, but that's not an issue in my house.

26 Ethernet ports? Is your name Trump?
game of thrones is HBO. its funny how i need these networks for 1 show but that is enough to screw me. netflix is the best bargain since its the place where we watch the most original entertainment. plus, i dont actually pay for it.

i couldnt believe it when i hooked my daughters chromebook into wired and then wifi and the wifi was faster. i was getting like 170 mb/s wifi vs 80 mb/s wired. i guess it makes sense, wifi technology improves while hardwired you are limited to what can get through a wire that was installed in my house in 2008.

the guy was pretty generous with the wiring in the house. i have 2 outlets in most rooms and they all have cable, phone and ethernet ports. ultimately, the guy went bankrupt and used almost none of them. i felt that i should use them but am still not 100% sure if its worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2019, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Home, Home on the Front Range
22,259 posts, read 15,940,375 times
Reputation: 12449
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so we have the 30 day trial of dish going and my wife seems happy with it. its still early but it works fine. im not sure if it can replace comcast but my wife was surprisingly positive about it.

one thing i wondered would be if we could expect an issue with a big event like the game of thrones season opener. we are having a bunch of people over for that and my wife would end my life if we had a problem then (no way im risking that). i was just wondering if the extreme popularity of the event could lead to a failure of the streaming service.

another possibly interesting piece of info is that it seems my wifi is substantially faster than my wired internet. from some online reading, it seems wifi technology can provide very fast internet and is less limited than the limits of my cat5e wiring. im still hopeful that it will benefit me to have completed the wiring of my house. it only cost me $375 to get all 26 Ethernet ports in my house active.
It’s a valid concern.

HBO Go crashed in 2017 during that premiere.

Hoping they’re better prepared this year.


https://www.itprotoday.com/uptime/hb...rones-premiere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2019, 04:14 PM
 
Location: NJ
23,600 posts, read 29,705,736 times
Reputation: 15568
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
It’s a valid concern.

HBO Go crashed in 2017 during that premiere.

Hoping they’re better prepared this year.


https://www.itprotoday.com/uptime/hb...rones-premiere
thats funny, i wouldnt care much if it werent for the fact that we are having an event in my house and cant afford to have a problem like that.

ive currently the boxes for the 2 tv's. got a roku ultra for one and had an amazon firestick laying around for my daughter's tv. so thats $20/month away. i am looking into a modem/router to replace the one from comcast. im paying $13 a month for it and it also seems a bit out dated. i should be able to get my bill closer to $150 a month with these changes.

anyone recommend a modem? one issue is whether or not it matters to have 24 vs 32 channels. here are a few options based on them being compatible with xfinity. the internet speed of the package im looking at is either going to be 150 or 250 mb/s. but i think id like to be future proofed for a possible future 1 gb type speed.

https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboa...s%2C310&sr=1-3

https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Surfboa..._title_ce?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/MOTOROLA-MT77...ustomerReviews

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Night...tronics&sr=1-1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top