U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 02:28 PM

20,027 posts, read 13,165,519 times

Advertisements

I do beans a lot. Consider learning to cook with an electric pressure cooker. You can cook tougher cuts of meat, soup, chicken broth, beans, rice, oatmeal, boiled eggs, stews.

You canít eat healthy using heavily processed foods.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:53 PM

75 posts, read 15,444 times
Rotisarrie chicken shredded on top of leaf lettuce. We hardly buy any vegetables from Costco since they go bad so fast. We use Yogurt dressing.

Their rotisarrie chicken is unbelievably cheap. As is their Ceasar Salad.

When their Wild Alaskan Salmon goes on sale, I buy that. Their vanilla ice cream is delicious with red raspberries. A good, fairly healthy, dessert.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:23 PM

24,593 posts, read 31,770,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post

generally, eating healthy is less expensive than eating unhealthy.
Not really. I could easily eat junk...for far less than it costs to eat a nutritious meal. Example: Lance nabs- $2 for 8. $1 biscuits at Hardeeís. I see families eating fast food all the time...itís cheaoer than them buying groceries and cooking.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:58 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,202,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Not really. I could easily eat junk...for far less than it costs to eat a nutritious meal. Example: Lance nabs- $2 for 8. $1 biscuits at Hardee’s. I see families eating fast food all the time...it’s cheaoer than them buying groceries and cooking.
fast food isnt cheap, its fast. i think a big mac meal tops $10 these days. the biggest difference would be cooking at home vs eating out. grains are cheap and healthy. vegetables are cheap and healthy. meat is cheap and healthy. most of the unhealthy garbage is stuff that is either not cheap like fast food or not even a meal like your lance nabs. instead of getting your biscuits are hardees just buy an 8 pack at aldi for about $1 something for 6 or 8 of them, i forget the specific deal. you will be perfectly fine eating a biscuit in a meal. the biggest issue with eating healthy vs unhealthy is your total calorie intake, so just eat less.

in fact, that is the biggest importance when it comes to health. avoiding eating massive amounts like a ziggy piggy is the most important thing. you could simply reduce your intake and pocket a savings just by that alone. go a little further and cook things like rice, vegetables and grilled meat and you will be living cheap and healthy.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:30 AM

312 posts, read 54,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You could eat beans every night of the year and never eat the same dish twice.

Last year, I was on an 18 hour airline flight from San Francisco to Bangkok. The passenger next to me most likely ate beans every day for the past several days prior to boarding the flight. Ask me how I know.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:43 AM

312 posts, read 54,301 times
Quote:
i find it interesting that people believe this. its only the case if you believe that you need to buy organic or some other fad like gluten free to be healthy. which has absolutely no evidence to show that it is healthier than the non-organic alternative.

generally, eating healthy is less expensive than eating unhealthy.
For those of us who are pre-diabetic (Metabolic Syndrome), we are supposed to avoid the "whites" -- rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, anything with white flour and other such carbohydrates. Yes, the brown variations are somewhat more healthful (whole grain pasta & bread) but they are nevertheless carbohydrates that we need to watch our consumption of quite carefully.

Sadly, those "whites" seem to be the most frugal (cost-effective) calories around. They also seem to be prevalent in many canned soups & frozen prepared dinners. A canned vegetable soup seems to have a disproportionately high percentage of potatoes and other inexpensive calories.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:17 PM

24,593 posts, read 31,770,712 times
Quote:
fast food isnt cheap, its fast. i think a big mac meal tops $10 these days. the biggest difference would be cooking at home vs eating out. grains are cheap and healthy. vegetables are cheap and healthy. meat is cheap and healthy. most of the unhealthy garbage is stuff that is either not cheap like fast food or not even a meal like your lance nabs. instead of getting your biscuits are hardees just buy an 8 pack at aldi for about $1 something for 6 or 8 of them, i forget the specific deal. you will be perfectly fine eating a biscuit in a meal. the biggest issue with eating healthy vs unhealthy is your total calorie intake, so just eat less.

in fact, that is the biggest importance when it comes to health. avoiding eating massive amounts like a ziggy piggy is the most important thing. you could simply reduce your intake and pocket a savings just by that alone. go a little further and cook things like rice, vegetables and grilled meat and you will be living cheap and healthy.
Nah...it’s CHEAP. Not talking about Big Macs and such. The dollar menus are what I am referring to.

And FYI...This isn’t how I eat. Not even close. I was just responding to the post.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Nah...it’s CHEAP. Not talking about Big Macs and such. The dollar menus are what I am referring to.

And FYI...This isn’t how I eat. Not even close. I was just responding to the post.
i can put together healthy meals for less than the $3-4 a dollar menu meal would cost. i think the claim that eating healthy is expensive is just another thing people use to convince themselves to not eat healthy.

i buy rolled oats from costco about 80 cents a pound. that is the cheapest and healthiest breakfast i can put together.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
For those of us who are pre-diabetic (Metabolic Syndrome), we are supposed to avoid the "whites" -- rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, anything with white flour and other such carbohydrates. Yes, the brown variations are somewhat more healthful (whole grain pasta & bread) but they are nevertheless carbohydrates that we need to watch our consumption of quite carefully.

Sadly, those "whites" seem to be the most frugal (cost-effective) calories around. They also seem to be prevalent in many canned soups & frozen prepared dinners. A canned vegetable soup seems to have a disproportionately high percentage of potatoes and other inexpensive calories.
well, carbohydrates are relatively inexpensive so if you have to cut them out then your cost will be a bit higher. that is true whether we are talking about a healthy diet or an unhealthy diet.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:10 PM

1,809 posts, read 1,233,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post

Since America has a high percentage of people who have diabetes and prediabetes https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...es-report.html and have to watch their carbs, isn't eating cheap and healthy very difficult since they have to cut out a bunch of carbs like you mentioned?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or