Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 07:28 AM

265 posts, read 154,856 times

Advertisements

If you walk around my cold weather city (an i wonder if yours is the same as well) you'll notice people's choice of winter coats seems to run the table of those who don't bother buying one, and are still wearing their light spring and fall jacket -- to people who spend 700 dollars on a logo'ed parka-type thing built to go on an antarctica ice fishing trip.

I bought a nice shearling coat I found at a thrift store new, for like 60 bucks a few years ago now. Which I would say is my nicest one. I still have a pea coat and ski shell thing I bought like 15 years ago. It works good to layer with for cold days which ido with a leather jacket it under it. I also have a couple of army jackets which i usually wear to the gym or casual. I work in an office and it would look weird otherwise.

I was thinking of getting a new one. Macy's has a 50% off sale; plus i got a 30 dollar gift card.

Altho it sounds like i got a lot of jackets...

Last edited by Raise_the_Black_Flag; 01-11-2019 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: added more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 08:40 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,381,227 times
Usually you can find good deals at Goodwill or craigslist

Old 01-11-2019, 10:42 AM

32,545 posts, read 47,663,179 times
Its cold here. I usually layer. Ive got 8 sweat shirts that are just right for inside the house instead of turning the heat up to "tropical"

I have a really good Columbia ski jacket that I bought in their outlet store. Marked down substantially because it was in the outlet store and then marked down another 30% for the after Christmas sale.

Its not thrifty to live chilled. Being chilled lowers your resistance. A good system of layering for winter will keep you warm.

I've got good heavy ski gloves bought from Costco to wear while running the snow blower, and a couple of trapper's hats to keep my head warm.

I buy clothing new, balancing price and quality, and then I take really good care of it so it lasts for years and years. I'm still wearing a fleece lined wind breaker I bought in 1996.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:46 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,657,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raise_the_Black_Flag View Post
If you walk around my cold weather city ...
This is a perfect example of why stating where we are counts for so much around here.

as to frugality... layers.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:51 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,902,538 times
This is another scenario to remind people that frugal and cheap are not the same thing.

I have a couple high quality coats that cost a bit of money, but will last decades. The best advise I could ever give on being frugal is to buy high quality things that won't wear out, then take care of them. Higher price tags up front are OK if you're doing that.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:12 PM

419 posts, read 385,676 times
I'm in Florida with little need for a winter coat. I gave away my heavy winter coats years ago. Now I use one of my mother's when visiting her in winter. We're the same size and she has great taste in coats. It saves me from having to buy and store a coat that I'll use for maybe two weeks per year. I have a nice lined short raincoat with a hood that I've had for probably 30 years that still looks new and is great to travel in. They never really go out of style, and it's warm enough until I get up in cold country. If I still lived in an area where a winter coat was necessary, I would go somewhere like Boscov's end-of-season sale where they have good quality coats for low prices.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:16 PM

37,487 posts, read 45,759,678 times
I don’t buy used clothing. I buy good clothing...including coats. On sale preferably. My “ go to” coat is a Lands End Squall parka. I’ve had it probably 15 years. I’m wearing it today.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:20 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,547,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
This is another scenario to remind people that frugal and cheap are not the same thing.

I have a couple high quality coats that cost a bit of money, but will last decades. The best advise I could ever give on being frugal is to buy high quality things that won't wear out, then take care of them. Higher price tags up front are OK if you're doing that.

This is me. I live in Philadelphia which imo has harsh winters. not SD but it gets below freezing often and winter is easily 3-4 months.
I hate being cold so I'll invest in a good quality coat.

four years ago I brought a great down puff coat at Lands end, paid 150.00 for it and love it. still looks great easy to wash.

This year they had the same style on sale 40% in a shorter car coat length. so I picked it up for 89 bucks. that will easily last me over 6 years.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:22 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,968,083 times
A few years ago, I was visiting my son in San Diego, in November. He and I were walking on the pier of one of the beaches, and I noticed 2 ladies walking side by side, all bundled up. Winter coats, hats, gloves, etc.

I, having come from VERY cold weather in St. Louis, was walking around in a long sleeved top, and I was very comfortable. I would say the temp was somewhere between 50 and 60.

I think it all depends on what you're acclimated to. I'm sure those ladies thought it was cold. I was thinking I was getting nice break from winter. lol

Old 01-11-2019, 01:12 PM

23,031 posts, read 18,392,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Its cold here. I usually layer. Ive got 8 sweat shirts that are just right for inside the house instead of turning the heat up to "tropical"

I buy clothing new, balancing price and quality, and then I take really good care of it so it lasts for years and years. I'm still wearing a fleece lined wind breaker I bought in 1996.
I've never been a fan of heavy winter coats. Layering works so much better and most layering pieces (unless you are a clothes horse who has to be in style) are less expensive and more versatile that that massive bulky coat anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living