U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 11:42 PM

4,001 posts, read 1,944,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
It's all a marketing gimmick to con the ignorant into visiting their stores. Nowhere does it say that the use of "Dollar" in a company name means everything is just $1.00. Dollar Tree and The 99.9 Cents Store are what I belive to be the last remaining multi-location true dollar sales stores. Unfortunately, the gimmick works and continues to work as even a decade after the dollar store craze ended, people still go all goggly-eye over the word "dollar" and really think that is the price of everything. I hate to think what those people would be expecting if the Five-and-Dime were still around.
The "dollar store" IS the "five-and-dime" of our time. (Actually, if we were to properly take inflation into account, they'd probably be $2 stores.)

And like the old five-and-dime, most of them are no longer moored to their original price points. Most of us can deal with that reality.

Where I live, other than Dollar Tree, the only other true "dollar stores" are the independent ones usually run by Indians. But Dollar General (there's one of those two blocks from me; the Dollar Tree is on the other side of my neighborhood) is cheap and convenient enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 12:13 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,257,187 times
I enjoy the local Dollar Tree. Its fun to check out all the strange stuff they have there. One item I always buy is band-aids, as well as those pre-cut foil sheets to use for baking. Also plastic serving trays, calendars, greeting cards, sometimes storage items like plastic bins, and reading glasses ($1 vs $20 in regular store). And I like to check out the food items - but only stuff that is by a brand I recognize, and nothing frozen or with meat in it. Mostly just candy and snacks.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:24 AM

7,098 posts, read 12,562,396 times
I worked at a Dollar General for a year and a half before starting my Social Security. I used to joke that the DG folks look for any place with more than 10 houses in one spot and build a store. The store I worked had customers who buy all their groceries there so they don't have to go to Walmart. Only thing not in our store was fresh produce but they are starting to put that in some stores now.
Dollar Tree opened in our town about a year ago and keeps pretty full any time I drive by. I've been there a couple times.
In our small town we have 4 Dollar Generals, 2 Family Dollars, and a Dollar Tree.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:51 AM

3,216 posts, read 3,917,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul359 View Post
You cannot go wrong buying a 1.00 2019 calendar from the Dollar Tree!

along with the $1.00 reading and sunglasses. I lose/break these with regular frequency, so it makes sense for me to stock up on them, instead of buying the more expensive pairs.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:03 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,764,643 times
Dollar Tree...the only place I get my cheater magnifying eyeglasses. Years ago, I bought 5 pairs. Glasses and a matching sheath for each for $10. Can't beat that.

That's where I get kitchen towels and mitts, cheap brooms, buckets, pens, arts and office supplies, candy for others, baskets, planters, floor mats, gift wrap/gift bags.....all kinds of stuff. It's almost like what CAN'T you get at Dollar Tree.

Thrift shops, Dollar Tree, and Walmart....get 99.9 percent of my non-food shopping dollars.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:06 PM

268 posts, read 112,085 times
I love them because once in a while I can find awesome things, like actual dinner plates (not plastic ones) in colors that I love: blood red, sunflower yellow, electric blue, et al. I also love that I can find a decent-sized bottle of alcohol-free Lavoris mouthwash for a buck.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:13 PM

8,988 posts, read 15,952,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
But in the middle of this economic disaster, Dollar General decided to tear down a bunch of vacant buildings and build a brand new store. Having heard people talk so much about dollar stores I decided to stop by this new Dollar General, to check it out for the first time. It was my first time ever in a dollar store. I had a coupon for $5 which I thought I could use for something, but I couldn't use it. The prices were are a complete joke. Nothing I could see was even close to $1.
I shop at Dollar General, mostly for household supplies. Thinks like soap and toilet paper, both of which can be bought there for under $5.

So the idea that they didn't have anything you could use for under $5 kind of grosses me out.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:39 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,764,643 times
People, people...just because a store has the word "dollar" in the name....doesn't make it a "dollar store."

In terms of major chains, Dollar Tree -- and in the California region, the 99 cent store -- are the only true "dollar stores" that I know of.....where everything in the store is $1.00 or less.

Dollar General and Family Dollar are NOT dollar stores. While the prices are low, they're on par with (or maybe a bit more) than Walmart. I'd say they're more like neighborhood bargain stores -- if that's a niche. They're like a "corner store" on steroids. Not as big as Walmart/Target ....but not Dollartree/99 cent store either.

Most people, I think, shop where it's convenient. And if Dollar General or Family Dollar is closest to them for a quick run -- or they don't have a car to get to another store.....they'll go to DG or FD. The fact that they're smaller than Walmart/Target sometimes means you can also get in and get out quicker.

So Dollartree/99 cent store, FD, and DG -- AND Walmart/Target -- and Big Lots -- and Ollies.....to me -- are all in the very general category of discount retailer. Are they all going after the same shopper? Competing for the same dollar spent? YES. But are they all the same? Obviously not.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:34 PM

5,301 posts, read 4,851,903 times
I went today. I bought a few huge book novels that are regularly $28 retail. I also bought a few poster boards for school projects.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:32 AM

5,188 posts, read 9,553,317 times
I think Dollar Tree is great when I feel a compelling need to shop but have little $ in my wallet. I know I can go there and get some useful stuff for $5 and satisfy that shopping urge without breaking the bank...

The variety of things they stock is really interesting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or