U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 09:50 AM

2,493 posts, read 1,280,678 times

Advertisements

i go to the dollar tree to buy some white chocolate M&M's, batteries, and cleaning supplies. I like the dollar tree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 10:08 AM

159 posts, read 25,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
To me, a card is the delivery system for the birthday check.

I'll send you my birthdate & snail mail address.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRoaming View Post
My take on it is that this new investor does not know Dollar Tree customers. When you go into Dollar Tree, you expect to pay $1 or under. That's the draw of the store. Changing that concept makes Dollar Tree like any other store.
I understand your point. I'm not sure I agree. By keeping everything to $1 or under, they must spec products with less content compared to packaging. Take movie theater candy for a buck at DLTR. If it currently contains 5 oz., to meet the price point DLTR may spec a candy container with 4.5 oz.

So... would I rather have 4.5 oz for a buck compared to 5 oz. for 1.10? or maybe 5.75 for $1.25?

By comparison, the motel brand Motel 6 originally was $6 for a night's stay. It is still a bargain motel brand, but nowhere near $6 of course. Inflation happens.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
i go to the dollar tree to buy some white chocolate M&M's, batteries, and cleaning supplies. I like the dollar tree.

We frequent Dollar Tree all the time, but I won't buy batteries there anymore. I've found their batteries to be substantially inferior compared to Kirkland batteries at Costco when measured by Watt-Hours of capacity (or the more frequently used proxy Ampere-Hours). I've found the Kirkland batteries tend to run a bit low on voltage compared to their published specs, but almost all of my devices are OK with that slightly lower voltage; they most likely have built-in linear voltage regulators to drop the voltage down to operating levels and hence the slightly lower voltage doesn't matter to the business end of the circuits.

Of course, YMMV.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:02 AM

8,988 posts, read 15,952,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I understand your point. I'm not sure I agree. By keeping everything to $1 or under, they must spec products with less content compared to packaging. Take movie theater candy for a buck at DLTR. If it currently contains 5 oz., to meet the price point DLTR may spec a candy container with 4.5 oz.

So... would I rather have 4.5 oz for a buck compared to 5 oz. for 1.10? or maybe 5.75 for $1.25?
That's not really the point, though.

The idea isn't that they have the lowest price per unit on every single item, it's that all they carry are low priced household items. So if you just need some hot pads and a roll of paper towels you can get in and get out quickly, as opposed to a Wal Mart situation where the same items might be a few pennies less but you have to spend an extra 10-15 minutes getting them.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:57 PM

387 posts, read 221,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post

By comparison, the motel brand Motel 6 originally was $6 for a night's stay. It is still a bargain motel brand, but nowhere near $6 of course. Inflation happens.
I believe that most of us expect that when the cost to produce a product increases, all stores will make adjustments. That may be raising the price or decreasing the content for the same price. Decreasing the content seems to be the most popular option for stores.

For instance, Walmart used to sell a 20 ounce package of ground turkey for $3.99 but one day changed that to 16 ounces for the same price. I didn't notice when shopping but once I brought it home, hubby realized he wasn't getting the same number of burgers out of a package. Half a gallon of ice cream is hard to find now, and the boxes seem to be getting smaller every year. This practice is ubiquitous. It just reminds us that we need to know and watch our unit prices to make sure we're getting the best deals.

Since decreasing the content happens all of the time, I wouldn't be upset by Dollar Tree doing that to keep their prices $1 or under. Charging more than $1 takes away the uniqueness that is Dollar Tree and sets them on a path to becoming another Dollar General or Family Dollar.

I don't think anyone expects that Motel 6 would be able to stay at $6. It's not like they had anything to cut back on to keep the price $6. Anyone who has ever stayed in one can attest that there's no way they can cut back on the size of the rooms to compensate.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:02 PM

4,618 posts, read 2,123,308 times
Dollar General is the only place where I can buy Viva paper towels. I will ALWAYS shop there.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:40 PM

5,755 posts, read 6,606,239 times
Nobody in this thread has mentioned Five Below yet. Everything is $5 or less. The range of products is more limited, but I still like going from time to time.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:45 PM

804 posts, read 203,601 times
Dollar Tree has some decent (not from China) spices.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:42 PM

6,326 posts, read 3,410,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I have never shopped at dollar stores, but lately they are sprouting up like weeds around me. Which is kind of bizarre, because businesses have been closing up and leaving this area for the last 30 years at least. We have lots of vacant storefronts. All the gas stations except one are closed. The local grocery stores are a complete joke. Except for the modern checkout stands, they look like they haven't been remodeled since the 1960s.

But in the middle of this economic disaster, Dollar General decided to tear down a bunch of vacant buildings and build a brand new store. Having heard people talk so much about dollar stores I decided to stop by this new Dollar General, to check it out for the first time. It was my first time ever in a dollar store. I had a coupon for $5 which I thought I could use for something, but I couldn't use it. The prices were are a complete joke. Nothing I could see was even close to $1. They should call it a $5 store, because that is about the cheapest items they have. I'm not sure how this store compares to other Dollar General stores, but if this is the best they have to offer, the chain is doomed. The only thing this Dollar General could compete with around here would be the local 7-Eleven store, and they are failing at that. As I drove into the store, I wasn't even sure it was open, because there were so few cars in the parking lot. The Dollar General had two employees and one customer, other than me. The 7-Eleven store next door had five or six customers in the store at that same time.

This got me thinking and wondering why these dollar stores are such a big deal. Do you shop at dollar stores and why? Are your dollar stores different than the one I described above? I'm curious to know.
Dollar Tree. Everything there is a dollar. One stop shopping for odds and ends @ a great price. Last time I went I picked up drawer containers to add to my utensil drawer for additional storage, jar of pickle relish, dish detergent, the very same bread I buy @ WalMart, more coathangers that match the ones I have, package of handi-wipes to keep in the car, bar of wonderful scented soap with a scent that is hard to find, some plastic covered containers for under the sink. I can get some great deals. Love this place.

Dollar General and Fred's - I don't generally shop at these places. I've been, but I don't find the bargains and choices there to be that great. Still, they carry some things I buy, so I have gone a few times to get something in particular, since it's easier to park there than at WalMart and because I was nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or