U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 10:30 AM

474 posts, read 229,505 times

Advertisements

We have a Family Dollar store in our little town of 1000. I stop in on occasion because the prices are the same or cheaper than the box stores and it is much faster to shop there. I used to go to the Dollar Tree when the kids where young but I don't go very often these days. When we lived in AZ I loved the 99 cent store, but there aren't any in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 10:38 AM

4,194 posts, read 1,516,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I did not like the Dollar General stores in Minnesota but the one close to me here in Arizona I really do like and frequent often. I was pleasantly surprised by how well it is run and they often have prices that are comparative to the Wal-Mart which is a lot further away.
The prices at this one are about double Walmart's prices, from the items I looked at. It's by far the highest prices at any stores around here, even 7 Eleven.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:40 AM

2 posts, read 149 times
Love $Tree for batteries AA and AAA, storage and garbage plastic bags, generic windex, cheater reading glasses I constantly lose or break, disposable aluminum foil pans, and word search puzzle books. And EVERYTHING IS A DOLLAR!!! I even lecture people I see buying these same items elsewhere of why are the wasting their money? Most thank me, as they didn't know.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:44 AM

7,071 posts, read 5,249,709 times
Dollar tree is great for things that I don't care if they get lost or I know they'll get trashed. A broom or scrub brush for the Chicken Coop, cupcake pans for an event where I don't want to hassle getting them back or staying til the end...

Old 11-07-2018, 10:48 AM

4,194 posts, read 1,516,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
You know, "back in the day" not everything at a "5 and dime" was 5c or 10c. Maybe in the 30s or 40s? but I wasn't around then, so I can't say.

I think the usage of "dollar" in Dollar General mainly refers to the fact that their prices are rounded off: $3, $5, $10, etc., instead of $2.99 and so forth.

I concur that Dollar Trees are generally a pleasant experience products, surroundings, prices and there are a number of items I do go there for periodically.
Woolworths was 100% a "five and ten cent" store until 1932, when they increased the maximum to 20 cents. Even when I was a kid they still had a lot of five and ten cent items. For example pencils were 5 cents and pens were 10 cents.

I would kind of expect a dollar store to at least have some items starting at $1.00. I didn't see any in this store.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:52 AM

6,941 posts, read 2,690,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal.M.I. View Post
Love $Tree for batteries AA and AAA, storage and garbage plastic bags, generic windex, cheater reading glasses I constantly lose or break, disposable aluminum foil pans, and word search puzzle books. And EVERYTHING IS A DOLLAR!!! I even lecture people I see buying these same items elsewhere of why are the wasting their money? Most thank me, as they didn't know.
Me too. I buy cheater glasses and Pears soap at Dollar Tree.

Some other stuff I've found doesn't work out. I bought Saran (it was actually name brand) and there was something that happened in the processing, and you couldn't use the plastic wrap. It wouldn't peel off the roll.

I also like their tote bags. You can get some really cute fabric totes and then when you give people supplies/whatever, you can include the cute tote bag.

It's fun to take little kids in there and tell them they can pick out whatever they want. ;D

But yes, I've noticed Dollar General has really expanded when other retail shops are closing - and I agree with those who say they build in depressed or crime ridden areas where often people can't get to another store.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:58 PM

3,286 posts, read 1,964,442 times
I love Dollar Tree. I call it my "happy store". Besides getting fun decorative stuff (esp. for holidays) for $1, there is some stuff I will only buy there because it is the cheapest. Bleach and baby aspirin come to mind. The Dollar General stores around here tend to be dark dumps, even when they are brand-new. Family Dollar and Dollar Tree are owned by the same company. I get cat food at Family Dollar, but not much else.

Old 11-07-2018, 01:15 PM

2,544 posts, read 856,274 times
I've only been inside Dollar Tree. I go there for the fifty cent greeting cards and for exercise dvds when they have them. Last year I had to buy some last minute gift bags for Christmas and although they weren't very thick, they were good enough at 3/$1.

I've purchased from Dollar General's website when they offered discounts along with free shipping on any order. Other than those rare occasions, I don't shop there.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:31 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,402,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It's fun to take little kids in there and tell them they can pick out whatever they want. ;D
I take my four-year-old granddaughter to Dollar Tree and replenish her supplies of coloring books, stickers, finger paints, crayons, etc. etc.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:07 PM

1,771 posts, read 719,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I love Dollar Tree. I call it my "happy store". Besides getting fun decorative stuff (esp. for holidays) for $1, there is some stuff I will only buy there because it is the cheapest. Bleach and baby aspirin come to mind. The Dollar General stores around here tend to be dark dumps, even when they are brand-new. Family Dollar and Dollar Tree are owned by the same company. I get cat food at Family Dollar, but not much else.
I wouldn't buy any meds or supplements there. Made in China, no quality control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or