U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 06:37 PM

4,434 posts, read 2,465,683 times

Advertisements

Dollar Tree is good. 99cent stores were good in Arizona, have not seen one here.

SavALot grocery is not bad, but they do not have the variety of the bigger grocery stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 09:49 AM

13,187 posts, read 18,845,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Dollar General... if this is the best they have to offer, the chain is doomed.
Haha.
https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/c...-price-history

Old 11-08-2018, 10:12 AM

13,011 posts, read 24,114,887 times
I shop at Dollar Tree, since everything is $1.00, and also shop the other discount stores where items are cheap, but more than $1.00. That includes Big Lots, Family Dollar, and the $.99 Only Store, where everything isn't $.99 anymore.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:24 AM

1,869 posts, read 796,252 times
Dollar General is really just for quick , convenient stops. Like, "Oh, I need cat food and don't want to go to Walmart", so I run to DG. I know I'm spending just as much, but it's convenient.

I do know someone who goes to DG's and buys stuff for nothing based on their system/them over looking things. It's kinda explained here:
Dollar General Penny Shopping Explained – What You Need To Know BEFORE Shopping | #DollarGeneral #PennyShopping #DGPennyShopping

I do like the actual Dollar Tree, though lol

Old 11-08-2018, 03:41 PM

4,212 posts, read 1,526,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
All that proves is that if you can sell enough stock, you can open stores in places that probably can't support stores. I have seen a lot of chain stores come and go in my life, mostly go. Most of them way better stores than DG.

I think one of the big clues of just how out of touch this chain is, is in the coupon that I couldn't even use. "Save $5 on your purchase of $25 or more (pretax)" Oregon doesn't have any sales tax. These idiots are opening stores in a state that they know zero about. That is an indication of lack of research. They are just opening stores without any market research, because they can. I wouldn't buy their stock.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Dollar General is really just for quick , convenient stops. Like, "Oh, I need cat food and don't want to go to Walmart", so I run to DG. I know I'm spending just as much, but it's convenient.

I do know someone who goes to DG's and buys stuff for nothing based on their system/them over looking things. It's kinda explained here:
Dollar General Penny Shopping Explained What You Need To Know BEFORE Shopping | #DollarGeneral #PennyShopping #DGPennyShopping

I do like the actual Dollar Tree, though lol
That sounds like a scam to get people into the store buying overpriced merchandise while looking for hidden penny items that probably don't even exist.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:59 PM

379 posts, read 210,813 times
We have 3 Dollar General stores within 10 miles. I've noticed that the prices in the oldest store remain quite good. Prices in the 2 newer stores are slightly higher, but I usually find them to be competitive.

Dollar General and Family Dollar are one of the few shopping options in rural areas. They will go into an area that larger stores won't touch. They fill a need for those who can't drive 30 miles to the nearest Walmart or Target.

Some of my elderly mother's friends prefer Dollar General and Family Dollar to Walmart because they are less crowded and require less walking. They might pay an extra $1 for a 12 pack of toilet paper than at Walmart, but the closeness of the store and the convenience is worth it to them. Cost of most items are much more reasonable than convenience stores.

I prefer Dollar Tree out of all of the dollar stores for the items many have already posted -- bleach, greeting cards, wrapping paper, reading glasses, etc. They even have in-date brand name bread and buns for $1.

I'd guess that location and age of the store has an impact on pricing. The dollar stores have their place in American retail and do quite well. I wonder if the tariffs showdown with China will catch up to them, though.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRoaming View Post
We have 3 Dollar General stores within 10 miles. I've noticed that the prices in the oldest store remain quite good. Prices in the 2 newer stores are slightly higher, but I usually find them to be competitive.

Dollar General and Family Dollar are one of the few shopping options in rural areas. They will go into an area that larger stores won't touch. They fill a need for those who can't drive 30 miles to the nearest Walmart or Target.

Some of my elderly mother's friends prefer Dollar General and Family Dollar to Walmart because they are less crowded and require less walking. They might pay an extra $1 for a 12 pack of toilet paper than at Walmart, but the closeness of the store and the convenience is worth it to them. Cost of most items are much more reasonable than convenience stores.

I prefer Dollar Tree out of all of the dollar stores for the items many have already posted -- bleach, greeting cards, wrapping paper, reading glasses, etc. They even have in-date brand name bread and buns for $1.

I'd guess that location and age of the store has an impact on pricing. The dollar stores have their place in American retail and do quite well. I wonder if the tariffs showdown with China will catch up to them, though.
The problem is that this store doesn't fill that need. There are several local independent markets within blocks of the DG, that have slightly better prices and a better selection. If DG wanted to put those stores out of business with low prices I'm sure they could do it. But with their ridiculously high prices, that doesn't seem to be their goal. I have no idea what their business plan is, but whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be working for them. Since they have considerably less customers than the other stores in the area.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:18 PM

16,882 posts, read 20,750,024 times
Yeah, you have to check them all out. Not all price everything at $1.00 or less.

The 99 cent store locally, for instance, has many items priced over $1.00 and they're not a better deal than Walmart, and their parking lot is horrible and the check-out lines are horrendous, and sometimes the price you get charged at the register isn't the one that's advertised on the shelves - so, I don't shop there after discovering this.

The Dollar Tree, however, had nothing priced over $1.00. So, there are no surprises.

And, yes, it's worth it for me to shop at the Dollar Tree for certain items. Walmart has many similar items for a similar price, but not everything. And even if things are similarly priced per quantity, sometimes you just want a few of something, so why pay basically the same price per item at Walmart or Costco, when you can just buy 10 of something at the Dollar Tree, and not have to store 100 of them, etc.

The lines are long, though, at the Dollar Tree, so you need to also keep that in mind. You won't get out of there quickly.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Yeah, you have to check them all out. Not all price everything at $1.00 or less.

The 99 cent store locally, for instance, has many items priced over $1.00 and they're not a better deal than Walmart, and their parking lot is horrible and the check-out lines are horrendous, and sometimes the price you get charged at the register isn't the one that's advertised on the shelves - so, I don't shop there after discovering this.

The Dollar Tree, however, had nothing priced over $1.00. So, there are no surprises.

And, yes, it's worth it for me to shop at the Dollar Tree for certain items. Walmart has many similar items for a similar price, but not everything. And even if things are similarly priced per quantity, sometimes you just want a few of something, so why pay basically the same price per item at Walmart or Costco, when you can just buy 10 of something at the Dollar Tree, and not have to store 100 of them, etc.

The lines are long, though, at the Dollar Tree, so you need to also keep that in mind. You won't get out of there quickly.
I have never shopped at the Dollar Tree here, but I'm sure they don't have long lines. It's just a small store next to one of the grocery stores. Even the grocery stores don't have long lines. Typically they have two check stands open in the busy time. Never more then two or three customers in each line. In the off hours the manager checks people out at the customer service desk. The grocery stores were built in the 1960s and still look just like they did in the 1960s. They can't even afford to remodel them. That's why I don't think that Dollar General or Dollar tree have any chance here. There is just not enough business for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or