U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 10:17 PM

2,857 posts, read 1,922,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I like Dollar TREE - not Dollar General. Dollar Tree stores are light, bright, very organized. And everything IS a dollar.

Dollar General seems like a cheat and it is dark and crowded. I see them in low income parts of town - they seem like they are fooling people into thinking there are good deals when there really aren't but folks may not have many options. So I just don't go there.
There are no fewer than six Dollar Generals in the next [mostly lower-middle class] town over from me--I learned this somewhat incredible fact last year when a guy went into one of them, asked for a job application, then came back in and started spraying gunfire. Given that that had the makings of a mass shooting incident, it was fortunate that no one was killed. When the police of this town were called to the scene, there was initially some confusion about where they were to report, because, well, they weren't clear on which of the town's six locations was the venue. Blew my mind when I heard this, but after taking a little time to think through the local Dollar General landscape, I realized it had to be correct, lol.

Me personally, I've never shopped at a chain dollar store, but when I was a kid I used to enjoy going to an old-school '5&10' in a quaint village on the outskirts of the Buffalo area. Place was a mixture of collectibles and more practical items, priced cheaply (and the heavy sense of nostalgia was free!). If modern dollar stores were like that, I might randomly stroll in sometime, but, they're not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 08:05 AM

11,812 posts, read 16,563,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I have never shopped at the Dollar Tree here, but I'm sure they don't have long lines. It's just a small store next to one of the grocery stores. Even the grocery stores don't have long lines. Typically they have two check stands open in the busy time. Never more then two or three customers in each line. In the off hours the manager checks people out at the customer service desk. The grocery stores were built in the 1960s and still look just like they did in the 1960s. They can't even afford to remodel them. That's why I don't think that Dollar General or Dollar tree have any chance here. There is just not enough business for them.
For someone who does not shop there you sure know their routine.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:38 AM

4,227 posts, read 1,535,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
For someone who does not shop there you sure know their routine.
I have shopped in the grocery stores enough times to know the routine. I do try to avoid shopping there though, because their prices are high and I can't afford it. Though not as high as the prices I saw in Dollar General. I also drive by them all the time. If the parking lots are 95% empty, it's a good bet the stores are empty too. I'm sure they did a good business in the days before Walmart opened. Now it's mostly just very loyal customers who want to support local business, and maybe a few people who can't drive to Walmart. I don't see those people switching to Dollar General, and even if they did I doubt it would be enough to make DG profitable here.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:58 AM

8,287 posts, read 10,073,500 times
I don't go to the Dollar Tree store often, but, when I do, I'm always amazed at the number of useful things one can buy for a dollar! -- (paper goods, cleaning supplies, greeting cards, batteries, toiletries, small kids toys, balloons, snacks, limited use utensils/tools, kitchen supplies, glue, etc).

Most of their items are not particularly high quality, but, there are a surprising number of things most of us buy ... and then only use once or twice.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:02 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,374,380 times
I view Dollar General as a kind of modern day general store. They compete with Walmart to some degree and they target under served markets such as small towns and depressed areas in larger towns. I live about 10 miles from a grocery store, but there is a DG about 6 miles away so it is "convenient" for a lot of stuff. Also, you can get in and out quickly.

One thing I do like about them is the DG brand for health and beauty products. The DG brand is very good and the products are at discount prices. Their eye drops are excellent as are some other DG items. They are a little bit like what we used to call a "Dime Store" but they have more stuff, including groceries.

They are now in many small towns around here. It used to be that small towns would have a Pizza Hut and a Dairy Queen. Nowadays, I would say that many small towns have a Dollar General and a Subway. Subways do very well in small towns. One downside is that DG competes with the local grocery store to some degree, so this will put financial stress on the local grocery store. A local grocery store can compete with this though by making the grocery products Dollar General sells priced competitively.

I do not perceive them to be high priced by any means. I have rarely spent more than about $40 there and you can get a lot of stuff for that amount.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:09 AM

3,713 posts, read 1,804,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I don't go to the Dollar Tree store often, but, when I do, I'm always amazed at the number of useful things one can buy for a dollar! -- (paper goods, cleaning supplies, greeting cards, batteries, toiletries, small kids toys, balloons, snacks, limited use utensils/tools, kitchen supplies, glue, etc).

Most of their items are not particularly high quality, but, there are a surprising number of things most of us buy ... and then only use once or twice.
I've actually found the cleaning products bearing the "LA's Totally Awesome" brand name to be very effective. But I wonder whether they're harsher than their mainstream counterparts? I find myself sneezing whenever I use their pre-wash laundry stain remover spray. I've had no such problem with their all-purpose cleaner, which I usually use full strength rather than diluted per the label instructions.

BTW, Dollar General is going after the younger (and presumably more affluent) urbanites with a new store format they call DGX. It's heavier on the food items (and you can buy wine and beer in them), and the mix of other products is lighter on apparel, nonexistent on house and garden, and heavier on the kinds of things you might want to keep around your apartment. They only have a few of these stores in operation right now; I think that most are in and around Nashville, the closest sizable city to DG headquarters, but there's also one in the hip Northern Liberties section of Philadelphia. Rents and house prices there are far from what you'd expect to see around a Dollar General (there's one of those two blocks from where I live in a much lower-income neighborhood).

I think the crowd Dollar General hopes to attract with DGX probably shopped at Five Below when they were younger.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:43 AM

4,227 posts, read 1,535,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I've actually found the cleaning products bearing the "LA's Totally Awesome" brand name to be very effective. But I wonder whether they're harsher than their mainstream counterparts? I find myself sneezing whenever I use their pre-wash laundry stain remover spray. I've had no such problem with their all-purpose cleaner, which I usually use full strength rather than diluted per the label instructions.

BTW, Dollar General is going after the younger (and presumably more affluent) urbanites with a new store format they call DGX. It's heavier on the food items (and you can buy wine and beer in them), and the mix of other products is lighter on apparel, nonexistent on house and garden, and heavier on the kinds of things you might want to keep around your apartment. They only have a few of these stores in operation right now; I think that most are in and around Nashville, the closest sizable city to DG headquarters, but there's also one in the hip Northern Liberties section of Philadelphia. Rents and house prices there are far from what you'd expect to see around a Dollar General (there's one of those two blocks from where I live in a much lower-income neighborhood).

I think the crowd Dollar General hopes to attract with DGX probably shopped at Five Below when they were younger.
Now if they did that with this store near me, it actually might work. The 7-Eleven here is probably one of the most profitable stores around. I have never shopped there but the parking lot is always full even late at night. It's as busy as any 7-Eleven I have seen in urban areas. If DG cut back the general merchandise section and expanded the food section and added a lot of prepared food, they could probably take business away from the 7-Eleven. But they are not even doing that. They are not competing with the convenience stores. They are not competing with the grocery stores. They are not competing with anything. I just don't understand what they are even thinking.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:58 AM

22,871 posts, read 21,939,335 times
I once found salmon for $1 a can at a dollar store. I go in and look around if I'm near one, but they rarely have anything that I want or need.

Dollar stores used to be fun to visit. They had all sorts of close out and discontinued items from other stores. I once bought a couple of hardcover books from one of them. The next month they had neckties. TJMaxx started out doing that. They sold passed over, out-of-season clothing from places like Saks and NYC garment district failures on the east coast. If you had enough time to pick through the racks, you were probably going to find something wonderful. I once found a Harris Tweed blazer for my nephew there. That was his good jacket when he was in college.

None of them do that any more.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:35 AM

476 posts, read 231,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I once found salmon for $1 a can at a dollar store. I go in and look around if I'm near one, but they rarely have anything that I want or need.

Dollar stores used to be fun to visit. They had all sorts of close out and discontinued items from other stores. I once bought a couple of hardcover books from one of them. The next month they had neckties. TJMaxx started out doing that. They sold passed over, out-of-season clothing from places like Saks and NYC garment district failures on the east coast. If you had enough time to pick through the racks, you were probably going to find something wonderful. I once found a Harris Tweed blazer for my nephew there. That was his good jacket when he was in college.

None of them do that any more.
If you have an Ollies near by they have all sorts of close out type things. They are not a dollar store at all, but it is interesting to browse there.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:40 AM

527 posts, read 153,423 times
If I ever see a Family Dollar or the like, I'll stop in because it's dirt-cheap. However, there aren't any dollar stores near me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or