U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2018, 12:57 PM

13,497 posts, read 24,385,606 times

Advertisements

The best dollar store in my area is the 99centsOnlyStore and it is my first shopping stop. I get all my paper products, house cleaning stuff, and detergents. You can't beat 32 loads of laundry for a buck. Pasta, beans, and rice are all 1 or sometimes 2 lbs for a dollar. Canned stuff is always 1 or 2 for a dollar.

And you never know what will be there. They always have a lot of fresh veggies. Some of them may look a little tired but if you are cooking with them, they work. They always have mushrooms. Not long ago I found pints of Land O'Lakes cream for a dollar and I bought all they had. Found Godiva chocolate. All sorts of things. You have to read labels because they do sell stuff like fake cheese though.

They have a LOT of junk food and if you are going to buy those things, why not pay less for them? They sell a lot of the same products at the regular grocery store for a lot more money.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 03:00 PM

6,165 posts, read 6,632,693 times
I love Dollar Tree -- which is a true dollar store, where everything is a dollar (or less).
Family Dollar and Dollar General, not so much. Nothing wrong with them. But 1) they're not as close to me, and 2) they're not always THEEE best deal. But, I have shopped at both. If I can't find what I want elsewhere, of course, I give them a look-see. And I have found things there that I liked a lot, and were perfect for what I needed.

For me Dollar Tree stands alone.....in its own niche.
Personally, for me, I put Dollar General and Family Dollar in the same category as Big Lots....not the absolute best prices, but just a hair above Dollar Tree, and/or Walmart. It's just that with Dollar Tree being Dollar Tree, and Walmart being such a one-stop, I-can-get-practically-everything-I-need-in-one-place kinds of store.....I really don't need Dollar General or Family Dollar. Nothing against them, and they're great for what they are. They're just not a category of stores where I shop unless all other options have been exhausted.

((For me, same thing for Target..... I don't shop at Target because it's not a retail niche I patronize --AND I've just always been a Walmart person. I know that Target people swear it's waaaay better than Walmart. But for me, it's not THAT much better that I need to shop there, and pay more for the same kinds of things I can get cheaper at Walmart.))

What do I buy at Dollar Tree? In no particular order:
-- greeting cards, stationery/office supplies, some housewares, some paper goods, some hair accessories, socks. kitchen towels, holiday decorations, gift bags (much better than almost prices)...it just depends really. (Food not so much, but candy, yes.)

It's also my store for what I call quick-and-dirty shopping, in-and-out (except for when they have a long line, because there's no staff that day) Example cheap greeting cards, tape, tools...and one day I was on my way to a job interview and wanted to polish my nails. I was already in the car, certainly no need for a 6.00 bottle....where to get CHEAP nail polish for a quickie job interview? Dollar Tree of course!!

Old 11-11-2018, 08:02 AM

3,805 posts, read 1,840,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

-- greeting cards, stationery/office supplies, some housewares, some paper goods, some hair accessories, socks. kitchen towels, holiday decorations, gift bags (much better than almost prices)...it just depends really. (Food not so much, but candy, yes.)
(emphasis added)

I note that Dollar Tree stores now carry a budget-priced line of Hallmark greeting cards called Expressions by Hallmark.

The social-expression-industry behemoth headquartered in Kansas City (and that now notes that fact indirectly on the back of all their cards) - one of the largest companies in the country that remains family-owned after 118 years in business - apparently has decided that simply dominating the greeting-card business isn't enough; it wants to own it outright.

BTW, regarding food:

One thing I do buy there regularly are two steak sauces I like, A.1. and Heinz 57.

Dollar Tree stores sell both in 5-ounce bottles for a dollar.

Buy two and you have a standard 10-ounce bottle of steak sauce, and you've paid about half of what you'd pay for a single 10-ounce bottle at the supermarket. Of course, these are next to their own-brand 10-ounce-for-a-dollar bottles. But I actually prefer the taste of A.1. to the private-label brands I've tried. No one else produces a sauce with the flavor of Heinz 57 other than Kraft Heinz.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:15 AM

2,663 posts, read 701,713 times
We live in a small town that doesn't have a lot of stores. Dollar General came in several years ago. We shop there about once a week. For one, it's walking distance. Certain items in the store are cheaper then any other store in town. Our Dollar General is brightly lit and fairly well organized. We generally buy cleaning items, but on occasion we buy food products. One complaint is that there are never enough staff working and check-out can take a while. We're never in a hurry so it works out fine.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:42 AM

19,022 posts, read 3,898,068 times
I do occasionally shop there. Pick up $1 kitchen items, glassware or soaps etc.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:41 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,008,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
(emphasis added)

I note that Dollar Tree stores now carry a budget-priced line of Hallmark greeting cards called Expressions by Hallmark.

The social-expression-industry behemoth headquartered in Kansas City (and that now notes that fact indirectly on the back of all their cards) - one of the largest companies in the country that remains family-owned after 118 years in business - apparently has decided that simply dominating the greeting-card business isn't enough; it wants to own it outright.

BTW, regarding food:

One thing I do buy there regularly are two steak sauces I like, A.1. and Heinz 57.

Dollar Tree stores sell both in 5-ounce bottles for a dollar.

Buy two and you have a standard 10-ounce bottle of steak sauce, and you've paid about half of what you'd pay for a single 10-ounce bottle at the supermarket. Of course, these are next to their own-brand 10-ounce-for-a-dollar bottles. But I actually prefer the taste of A.1. to the private-label brands I've tried. No one else produces a sauce with the flavor of Heinz 57 other than Kraft Heinz.

They also carry Bullseye Barbecue Sauce, which is my favorite, but has become hard to find in grocery stores. The bottles of Bullseye they sell are one ounce less than the bottles I used to get at the grocery store, and they're only a dollar!

Old 11-11-2018, 09:47 PM

19,277 posts, read 12,748,394 times
I don't shop there. It doesn't even cross my mind as a place I would expect to find something I need.

Well, greeting cards. But I send so few these days, I don't mind choosing nicer ones for my family members.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:31 AM

9,036 posts, read 2,437,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I love Dollar Tree -- which is a true dollar store, where everything is a dollar (or less).
Family Dollar and Dollar General, not so much. Nothing wrong with them. But 1) they're not as close to me, and 2) they're not always THEEE best deal. But, I have shopped at both. If I can't find what I want elsewhere, of course, I give them a look-see. And I have found things there that I liked a lot, and were perfect for what I needed.

For me Dollar Tree stands alone.....in its own niche.
Personally, for me, I put Dollar General and Family Dollar in the same category as Big Lots....not the absolute best prices, but just a hair above Dollar Tree, and/or Walmart. It's just that with Dollar Tree being Dollar Tree, and Walmart being such a one-stop, I-can-get-practically-everything-I-need-in-one-place kinds of store.....I really don't need Dollar General or Family Dollar. Nothing against them, and they're great for what they are. They're just not a category of stores where I shop unless all other options have been exhausted.

((For me, same thing for Target..... I don't shop at Target because it's not a retail niche I patronize --AND I've just always been a Walmart person. I know that Target people swear it's waaaay better than Walmart. But for me, it's not THAT much better that I need to shop there, and pay more for the same kinds of things I can get cheaper at Walmart.))

It's also my store for what I call quick-and-dirty shopping, in-and-out (except for when they have a long line, because there's no staff that day) Example cheap greeting cards, tape, tools...and one day I was on my way to a job interview and wanted to polish my nails. I was already in the car, certainly no need for a 6.00 bottle....where to get CHEAP nail polish for a quickie job interview? Dollar Tree of course!!
I get pens that I keep in the car, and post it pads that I keep in the car at Dollar Tree. I also use their spray deodorant, and one of their body wash products.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I don't shop there. It doesn't even cross my mind as a place I would expect to find something I need.

Well, greeting cards. But I send so few these days, I don't mind choosing nicer ones for my family members.
I usually go the opposite with greeting cards, trying to find the most expensive ones that are still appropriate (so I pass on the offerings at Dollar Tree).

Old 11-13-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I like Dollar TREE - not Dollar General. Dollar Tree stores are light, bright, very organized. And everything IS a dollar.

Dollar General seems like a cheat and it is dark and crowded. I see them in low income parts of town - they seem like they are fooling people into thinking there are good deals when there really aren't but folks may not have many options. So I just don't go there.
I agree.

The number of times I've purchased something at a Dollar General could probably be contained with one receipt on each finger and toe, with a few toes or fingers left over .

IIRC, all have been in rural small towns where there was no other convenient option, and most have been dirty/poorly maintained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or