Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 02:51 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times

Advertisements

I have never shopped at dollar stores, but lately they are sprouting up like weeds around me. Which is kind of bizarre, because businesses have been closing up and leaving this area for the last 30 years at least. We have lots of vacant storefronts. All the gas stations except one are closed. The local grocery stores are a complete joke. Except for the modern checkout stands, they look like they haven't been remodeled since the 1960s.

But in the middle of this economic disaster, Dollar General decided to tear down a bunch of vacant buildings and build a brand new store. Having heard people talk so much about dollar stores I decided to stop by this new Dollar General, to check it out for the first time. It was my first time ever in a dollar store. I had a coupon for $5 which I thought I could use for something, but I couldn't use it. The prices were are a complete joke. Nothing I could see was even close to $1. They should call it a $5 store, because that is about the cheapest items they have. I'm not sure how this store compares to other Dollar General stores, but if this is the best they have to offer, the chain is doomed. The only thing this Dollar General could compete with around here would be the local 7-Eleven store, and they are failing at that. As I drove into the store, I wasn't even sure it was open, because there were so few cars in the parking lot. The Dollar General had two employees and one customer, other than me. The 7-Eleven store next door had five or six customers in the store at that same time.

This got me thinking and wondering why these dollar stores are such a big deal. Do you shop at dollar stores and why? Are your dollar stores different than the one I described above? I'm curious to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 05:29 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
I like Dollar TREE - not Dollar General. Dollar Tree stores are light, bright, very organized. And everything IS a dollar.

Dollar General seems like a cheat and it is dark and crowded. I see them in low income parts of town - they seem like they are fooling people into thinking there are good deals when there really aren't but folks may not have many options. So I just don't go there.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:33 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
Dollar Tree and Family Dollar have items that cost a dollar and greeting cards that are 2/$1. I usually go there for greeting cards and party supplies, which are generally cheaper than you could get even at Walmart and with more selection.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:47 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Dollar General is not a Dollar Store.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:02 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,261,499 times
It’s only been a hand full of times that I shop at dollar stores. Dollar General is a rip-off. Don’t go there. Family Dollar and Dollar Tree is great in a pinch. I get my kid’s school project supplies there. The food is iffy stale tasting IMO but better than nothing.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:26 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
I live in a town of 50,000 and there are five "Dollar Stores" that I know of, although I can't break it down by Family Dollar, Dollar General, etc. They tend to proliferate in areas where the economy is a bit depressed, which is why Cloudy Dayz is seeing more of them in his/her area as other businesses leave. One in my town is in the same shopping plaza as a perfectly decent grocery store, so it's not lack of other choices.

I haven't shopped at any of them. I divide my grocery shopping between Costco, where I trust their meat and produce, and one of the "mainstream" grocery stores, which has a bigger selection than the dollar stores. I pretty much have the same things on my shopping list week in and week out- just depends on what needs replenishing- so I don't like the "random" aspect of Dollar Store selections.

My SIL loves Dollar Stores because she can take her grandkids there and get them a lot of little toys and games for not much money, but I try to avoid Made in China so that's out for me.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:37 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times
it depends on what you get there.
Basically I get disposable paper products there and gift cards. that's about it.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I like Dollar TREE - not Dollar General. Dollar Tree stores are light, bright, very organized. And everything IS a dollar.

Dollar General seems like a cheat and it is dark and crowded. I see them in low income parts of town - they seem like they are fooling people into thinking there are good deals when there really aren't but folks may not have many options. So I just don't go there.
OK, thanks. At least I know I'm not alone in what I saw. This one did look like a cheat, and it was dark, but not crowded. It was just me and one other customer in the store. It's not in a bad area. It's in a prime location on the highway. The building looks nice. It's the only new construction I have seen in this town in the five years I have lived here. It might be the only new construction in the last 10, 20, 30 years, I'm not even sure.

When I walked inside, the first thing I noticed was the narrow dark aisles, but that wasn't the worst thing about the store. The worse thing was the very limited selection, and the sticker shock when I looked at the prices. Everything I saw was over $3, most over $5. It's like shopping in a convenience store both in terms of selection and price.

I don't see how this store can be suscessfull. Yes, there aren't many alternatives around here. But everybody has cars and can drive the 20 miles to Walmart or Fred Meyers to shop. The price difference will easily pay for the gas. I know that was the first and last time I will be in that store.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Dollar General is not a Dollar Store.
Thanks, I knew that the second I walked in the door. LOL. It shows you how much I know about dollar stores. I figured if it has "Dollar" in the name then it's a dollar store. I know better now.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:43 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
I like Dollar Tree where everything is $1. The others can be a ripoff and you may do better at a big box store. Around here they tend to spring up in small towns with no competition. I think of them as the Woolworth's of the 21st century. A little bit of everything.

One of them has a couple of "dollar store" aisles where everything is $1. I can never remember if a location is a DG or a FD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products