U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 03:33 PM

33,783 posts, read 52,138,519 times

Advertisements

Not sure if we had this topic here, but I just read this article and thought perhaps we could have a thread about products that are the same under different name but much cheaper, and make our own consolidate list:

https://clark.com/shopping-retail/15...ifferent-name/

I will add to this list this:

https://hip2save.com/2017/04/11/mone...y-name-brands/

BTW: does anyone knows about the quality comparison? Are those (or some) off-brand (private labels) products somehow inferior to the brand names - like some products made specifically for outlets?
Perhaps we could indentify those products on our list?
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 06:11 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,132,849 times
For things like canned and frozen food, there are only so many processing plants around and most of them produce shelf goods for several brands, even several companies, from premium to store-brand. My experience is that the store-brand or nominally just alt-branded stuff varies a lot, from just as good as Del Monte or Birds-Eye to... eh, just okay. I don't know if a list of alternate branding will mean much, over time. Almost anyone can produce great frozen peas at peak season; it takes extra cost, care and skill to do it in the in-between, which Birds-Eye might do but a store brand run may not.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:37 PM

22,886 posts, read 21,956,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
For things like canned and frozen food, there are only so many processing plants around and most of them produce shelf goods for several brands, even several companies, from premium to store-brand. My experience is that the store-brand or nominally just alt-branded stuff varies a lot, from just as good as Del Monte or Birds-Eye to... eh, just okay. I don't know if a list of alternate branding will mean much, over time. Almost anyone can produce great frozen peas at peak season; it takes extra cost, care and skill to do it in the in-between, which Birds-Eye might do but a store brand run may not.
My father learned this in the 1960s when he took a tour of a canning plant. Green Giant, Shurfine, and the white label generic all came from the same building.

Old 11-10-2018, 05:57 AM

3,719 posts, read 1,809,318 times
Del Monte and Heinz (now Kraft Heinz) both manufacture a bunch of private-label lines.

Most of the private-label canned soups sold in supermarkets are produced by Kraft Heinz, IIRC.

Trader Joe's is owned by one of the two joined-at-the-hip-but-legally-separate Aldi companies; Aldi US is owned by the other. My experience to date with Aldi private-label products is that they are uniformly high in quality - and you can't beat their prices unless you buy at Costco quantities (which are way too big for a one-person household in many cases).

Some supermarket chains' private-label lines vary in quality from product to product, however. I've bought some ShopRite brand items that were clearly of lesser quality than their national brand counterparts, but others were their equals. Supermarkets that carry Essential Everyday (Supervalu's private label line) are good bets, for that line is uniformly excellent.

I've gotten nothing but great value buying Great Value at Walmart, with one exception: their Havarti sliced cheese did not have the creamy texture or fine holes I associate with Havarti and tasted a little nuttier to boot. (Not sure which dairy producer Walmart buys from.) But you'll even find some national brands that are in effect private-label there. For instance, you'll find lots of Farberware-branded products in Walmart stores that are made exclusively for Walmart; look on their backs when you get them home to see the Walmart origin label. I bought a Fuji Film midrange digital camera on eBay once; when I looked up its model number, it turned out to be a made-for-Walmart product.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:11 AM

3,546 posts, read 2,027,191 times
An Oat is an Oat, of course of course, and no one can talk to an Oat, of course unless the Oat is the Famous Quaker Oat..... ( if you dont know the show, you wont get that line).

Point is an oat is an oat. And a bean is a bean. Of course there are different types or varieties, but still some things are just what they are, regardless of brand.
Processing ( canned, frozen fresh, etc) may alter the taste a little.

I pay whatever little i can for a certain type of product, whether name brand, wally world or Aldi.

A list wont help me much, unless we are talking cost.

Old 11-10-2018, 04:40 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,132,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My father learned this in the 1960s when he took a tour of a canning plant. Green Giant, Shurfine, and the white label generic all came from the same building.
There are amazingly few pet food plants in the country. Some produce and bag more than a dozen brands.

Old 11-10-2018, 04:52 PM

62 posts, read 11,088 times
In the 1970s, I worked for Truitt Brothers Cannery in Salem, OR. We canned beans, pears, and plums during the late summer/early fall. It was all the same fruit, all the same syrup for several different labels like Fred Meyer, Safeway, Sure Fine, etc.

Nowadays, we do buy the store brands as they are the same quality as national brands, but cheaper. At Kroger, it is Private Label; at Safeway, it is Signature. And Target has their own brand too.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
An Oat is an Oat, of course of course, and no one can talk to an Oat, of course unless the Oat is the Famous Quaker Oat..... ( if you dont know the show, you wont get that line).

Point is an oat is an oat. And a bean is a bean. Of course there are different types or varieties, but still some things are just what they are, regardless of brand.
Processing ( canned, frozen fresh, etc) may alter the taste a little.

I pay whatever little i can for a certain type of product, whether name brand, wally world or Aldi.

A list wont help me much, unless we are talking cost.

That's funny. I used to watch Mr. Ed when I was little.

I agree with you about the oats, beans, and other things. How bad can an inexpensive brand of tomato paste be? I've never had one.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
There are amazingly few pet food plants in the country. Some produce and bag more than a dozen brands.
I didn't know that, but I'm not surprised.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze View Post
In the 1970s, I worked for Truitt Brothers Cannery in Salem, OR. We canned beans, pears, and plums during the late summer/early fall. It was all the same fruit, all the same syrup for several different labels like Fred Meyer, Safeway, Sure Fine, etc.

Nowadays, we do buy the store brands as they are the same quality as national brands, but cheaper. At Kroger, it is Private Label; at Safeway, it is Signature. And Target has their own brand too.
Straight from the horse's mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or