Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 12:14 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
as they say the poor man pays twice!

we tried to save money on tripods for our cameras since our passion is photography . so we bought less then we should have . now we have to buy the ones we should have sprung for in the first place as we found to many short comings in the ones we bought .
Don't remind me...As I look for a repairman to fix what I've tried to fix myself to the tune of $100 in parts already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 06:04 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we tried to save money on tripods for our cameras since our passion is photography .
so we bought less then we should have .
If we already have a passion for <whatever> then buying inferior gear is clearly a bad move.
But with "a passion" that gear inferiority really should have been understood; even obvious and easily avoided.

Quote:
now we have to buy the ones we should have sprung for in the first place
as we found to many short comings in the ones we bought .
Sounds like a learning curve.
Sell the 'wrong' ones to some other newbie who can't know yet whether his hobbyist use will warrant more.

Old 12-09-2018, 06:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Our granddaughter isn't rich but certainly in the upper middle class group or maybe closer to rich. Anyway, in her early 30s, married to an older man and can have anything she wants. She buys her daughters cloths at a kids used clothing store and bought her son's clothes there as well until her started school this past Aug. Whe only hires a house keeper when she is entertaining and still shops or bargains at the super market. But she does buy top of the line food if it is on sale and has a problem with her husband wanting to trade her car in every 2 years. Her money has not affected her in anyway and she is a down to earth as anyone could be.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:33 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
I don't know but I would love to find out. I know if I ever become rich i will splurge on some things but also invest in a business so I know I will always have money.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:51 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
How do you adopt a frugal lifestyle when you're rich? Say like a pro athlete.
The same way you would as a person with a moderate income.

Money will run away from you if let it. Frugal people do not allow the money to run. They are in front of it and in control.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:41 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If we already have a passion for <whatever> then buying inferior gear is clearly a bad move.
But with "a passion" that gear inferiority really should have been understood; even obvious and easily avoided.

Sounds like a learning curve.
Sell the 'wrong' ones to some other newbie who can't know yet whether his hobbyist use will warrant more.
The thing is, that there is a usually a point where spending more yields fewer returns. The difference between a Porsche and a Ferrari, is lots of sizzle and not so much steak. THe hard part often is knowing where the cutoff comes.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:02 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
The thing is, that there is a usually a point where spending more yields fewer returns.
THe hard part often is knowing where the cutoff comes.
I agree... but that point often isn't clearly apparent ...until after you've already stepped off the ledge.

Quote:
The difference between a Porsche and a Ferrari, is lots of sizzle and not so much steak.
Or the Buick and the BMW.
But these choices are typically about something other than the gear itself.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:11 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
How do you adopt a frugal lifestyle when you're rich? Say like a pro athlete.

Maybe you save money by looking at tax shelters, not price tags.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:40 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times
Quote:

Quote:
I agree... but that point often isn't clearly apparent ...until after you've already stepped off the ledge.

Or the Buick and the BMW.
But these choices are typically about something other than the gear itself.
And what I see is that when someone has a "passion" for something it's usually one thing. the retired guy who lives behind me, is into cars. He's the Ferrari, Maserati type of dude but he seems to be really fugal in most other things. lol, I chat with his wife and she's always gripping (lovingly) that he won't call a repair man or wears clothes until they are rags.

my coworker is into photography, very interesting dude, always taking company pictures and your right MrRational says getting good equipment pays off on the long run but again every thing else he's low keyed. 10 year old beater, brings his lunch to work every day.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:36 PM

432 posts, read 285,163 times
You mean like LeBron James, Kobe, Shaq, magic Johnson, and Jordan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living