Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 02:02 PM

7,026 posts, read 6,272,660 times

Advertisements

I've been approved for section 8 housing so have decided to put my van dreams on hold for awhile. I had applied so long ago, and was so far down on the list, I really didn't think I would get on.

I'll be moving into senior housing and, hopefully, will be able to save some money. It really depends on how much cheaper it is for me to live as to what my future plans are.

I'm still planning on selling or trading in my car for something I can travel in. I still want to explore this beautiful state. But, if having section 8 housing lessons my financial straits enough, I may just forego becoming a nomad. I won't know until I've tried it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 03:38 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,290,731 times
Congrats! I hope this works out for you. Shelter - and safe, affordable, comfortable shelter - = a home. May yours be blessed!

Old 03-22-2019, 03:47 PM

6,759 posts, read 5,469,862 times
Meo....that is GREAT to hear.

I hope it is financially beneficial for you, by a long shot.

Then you can get your van, maybe a minivan and travel for fun, rather than have it be your house too.

Best to you, although i enjoyed reading and participating in your thread on it!

Old 03-23-2019, 01:00 PM

Thanks to both of you. Since I've never experienced this, I won't know until I get ready to move how much I will be paying for rent. All the figures aren't in yet. There's also the cost of moving. But, I did have my taxes done and the refund from the rent credit should take care of that.

I am glad I bought the gear I did as it will work for regular camping. And next year I am planning on going to the RTR, Rubber Tramp Rondezvous. That will give me a better idea of what others are doing. Thankfully I just bought what was necessary for camping so nothing frivolous and things that are sustainable for years to come.

I do plan on buying a Berkey water system to replace my Brita as it's supposed to be wonderful. But, that's quite a ways away as they are expensive. But, Arizona water does not taste good to me and I don't like buying water all the time. In a dry climate you have to drink a lot of water and stay hydrated.

Old 03-23-2019, 01:06 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,995,989 times
Congratulations on the housing! My cousin gets it here, Las Vegas, and his rent is $500 a month, all bills paid. He has a really nice new secure apartment, all seniors.

Old 03-23-2019, 01:21 PM

26,651 posts, read 28,608,339 times
Congratulations! I think with section 8 you are not allowed to have much money on hand and they will ask to see your bank accounts. If you want to save, put it under the mattress, lol. Find out what the limit is on the amount of money you are allowed to have, maybe $2000?

Old 03-23-2019, 04:21 PM

5,745 posts, read 11,322,427 times
Meo, I live in Tucson next door (in back of my apartment parking area) to a limited income, over age 62 apartment complex. All the apartments are 1 bedroom HUD sponsored, for people with income below $21,000 per year. It is a very nice, modern, clean looking complex, and I have spoken with several people who live there. They charge rent according to income, where each apartment rents for 1/3 of your monthly income. Someone who has $21K annual income would pay about $7K per year or $583 per month (utilities included). I pay just slightly more for my non section 8 apartment, but it is not as nice as the section 8 apartments that are next door.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:17 PM

That's good to know. In order to get the section 8 I have to stay in Cochise County for a year, then I can move somewhere else if I want to. Since this is my first experience with Arizona, it will give me an opportunity to explore and see if I want to stay here or move to a different county.

Reading and seeing videos about Lake Havesu intrigues me. Actually, Bisbee intrigues me too and it is in Cochise County.

In-newengland, if I happen to have extra money,I will probably splurge on something silly like take out pizza. I doubt I'll have to hide it, won't be enough to hide.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,668 posts, read 57,890,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
That's good to know. In order to get the section 8 I have to stay in Cochise County for a year, then I can move somewhere else if I want to. Since this is my first experience with Arizona, it will give me an opportunity to explore and see if I want to stay here or move to a different county.

Reading and seeing videos about Lake Havesu intrigues me. Actually, Bisbee intrigues me too and it is in Cochise County.

In-newengland, if I happen to have extra money,I will probably splurge on something silly like take out pizza. I doubt I'll have to hide it, won't be enough to hide.
Congrats,
Cochise is a bit of a jewel in AZ, very mild climate and NOT crowded / asphalt jungle / less pressure on resources

My mom escaped Colorado and did Havesu for a few years.
  • Nice in winter
  • Blistering hot in summer
  • Crazy busy during spring break and holidays (very close to California )
Then did LV, St George, Silver City, and finally to Las Cruces, NM (not far from you). (Cochise, AZ is better than LC, NM) IMHO

Affordable Pizza,
You can grab an excellent "U-Bake Cowboy Pan Pizza" (or your fav choice) next time you pass by 2373 E Fry Blvd, Sierra Vista, AZ 85635
$12 on Tuesdays. Lasts me a week. (Pizza is ez to consume, so it is a bit shorter sustenance than a $5 Costco Rotisserie chicken - ~10+ days in Soups and salads) I have to freeze 1/2 the chicken, so it goes into future soup stock.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:28 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,430,456 times
Once you have a voucher, you can port it anywhere in the states.

The downsides to taking the section 8 housing would be paying for utilities. You would also have to be sure and not be away from the unit for longer than a certain period of time, as I recall. Can't recall the details.

If you are picky about where you want to move, and can afford to wait, it's a really sweet deal. After living in several bad situations, I now have a place that is overall really sweet.

The beautiful thing is that you now have decent choices. That's a wonderful place to be in. So, you can look at your options with a clear mind. You may choose the nomad lifestyle, after all. If so, you can do so knowing it was a free choice, without any lingering feelings of being homeless or a loser or whatever.

I'm really happy for you that you have these options. Good for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living