Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 12:38 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,236,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I bought the iphones outright so it's a clean bill. Not sure the prices people quote here is the total price. I have at least $30 in various government fees. Are other providers exempt? I am also a little weary going with "off-brand" providers, like Cricket, MetroPCS or this Straight Talk. Not sure who they are and what their service looks like. What if you go abroad?
The reason I got Cricket, and I"m not sorry is because I couldn't get certain states when I traveled, using MetroPCS. I like Metro, but when traveling needed service in West Virginia, which Metro didn't have. So I looked for another provider, and I found Cricket serves the areas I travel in. I have not had any problems with them. As far as overseas, you'll have to ask the provider. Or go to their website, they should have a map of coverage. The Walmart in my area has knowledgeable personnel at the phone counter, so I can get help from them answering most questions about their various offers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 12:45 AM

5,318 posts, read 8,487,881 times
You can use this list to look up which network these smaller companies run on:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...work_operators

Cricket is a flat rate each month, all taxes, fees, included. You pay extra ($5-$15) per month to make international calls/texts.

I've been using Cricket - 2G/month for $30 since I just use wifi when at home and don't need much data when I'm out of the house. Cricket runs on the AT&T network.

Old 11-22-2018, 01:40 AM

325 posts, read 161,660 times
i have verizon unlimited 2 lines for 140.00 a month

Old 11-22-2018, 02:23 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,613,397 times
I have Verizon unlimited for one phone for $87/month. This is my only phone, and it serves as my internet provider as well, so it’s a good deal for me.

Old 11-22-2018, 02:28 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,193,270 times
I have tello. For my bare bones 100 talk minutes a month and unlimited texting is just $5 a month. I think that is the ultimate in frugal. My husband has more options on his with a data plan for $12 a month. Tello goes through AT&T. If you go to their site, it has a list of plans, you just move things around from the top line, middle line and lower line to make up your own cell phone plan. And you bring your current phone with you as long as it's compatible. Can't beat that deal at all. And I used to think my old Virgin mobile plan at $35 was cheap.

Old 11-22-2018, 02:40 AM

617 posts, read 1,196,174 times
I pay $18.25 a month for Red Pocket (Bought a years worth card on ebay) - AT&T coverage, unlimited talk, text, 5 GB of data.

Old 11-22-2018, 02:43 AM

617 posts, read 1,196,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I have tello. For my bare bones 100 talk minutes a month and unlimited texting is just $5 a month. I think that is the ultimate in frugal. My husband has more options on his with a data plan for $12 a month. Tello goes through AT&T. If you go to their site, it has a list of plans, you just move things around from the top line, middle line and lower line to make up your own cell phone plan. And you bring your current phone with you as long as it's compatible. Can't beat that deal at all. And I used to think my old Virgin mobile plan at $35 was cheap.

Tello uses Sprint towers. Still a great provider. I like all the different options for minutes and data. The free unlimited texts and 2G throttled data are really nice for the already low price.

Old 11-22-2018, 05:02 AM

6,749 posts, read 5,429,384 times
Happy rider:

Your bill IS to high. Especially if you bought the phones outright and they are not on the bill.

We pay $105 for two lines, 4 gigs (which unused gets rolled over to new month), plus we pay $10/m each ( for 2 years) for two Samsung Galaxy phones , so our total bill is $125/m which i think is still excessive. However, my OH needs Verizon for specifically for work.

That base $105 includes all fees and such.

I think our bill is still to high, but work requires Verizon great coverage for working out in the field. or else we might have something different.

Either way, shop around. I have noticed these soecial "deals" for say "$20 unlimited talk text data" phone plans ARE NOT telling you all the fees you could incur. In one case it was using an atm at a bank outside your network, outside your general cell area, and they stick you with fees for using that cell when you travel. That can add up. Also the netwrk its using, well those paid for customers get first usage, so you might go to make a call and it will tell you " network is busy".

So read the finer print, ask a zillion questions befire you sign and switch.

Best to you...

Old 11-22-2018, 05:56 AM

31,343 posts, read 14,074,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I have two lines with AT&T with 6GB of shared data a month. My payments are on autopilot and I seldom look at the bill. Until tonight. I am paying $160. I thnk that's a lot for two lines. I keep hearing deals with unlimited data for a lot less. Anyone has any recommendations or am I safer staying with a brand name carrier?
Darn right that's a lot of $ for cell service. If you're not under a contract my advice would be to get a prepaid phone, no commitment -- and scrap the second line also.

Old 11-22-2018, 10:07 AM

23,921 posts, read 10,269,303 times
You have to shop around. Make list of your needs and check which provider meets them at what rate and what contractual agreements and company based fees. There is nothing you can do about fed/state/... .
We have ATT, two lines unlimited US wide calling/texting for 75$ of which 25$ are fees. I do use the Internet access so I do not know the availability.
It sounds like you had a contract with incentives which ran out and you did not realize it. Auto pay has drawbacks.
Cox blessed us with an increase on the landline. First escalated customer service was snarky. Second escalated customer service reduced it to 5$ under the expired incentive rate for 12 months. 50$ is a steak dinner with a bottle of good Merlot at our house and this one is on Cox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living