Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 06:43 PM

382 posts, read 364,682 times

Advertisements

Anyone decide not to have children for financial reasons? Was cost the #1 reason why you decided not to have kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 09:11 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,153 times
We don't want kids.

Money is not the #1 reason, but it's one of the reasons.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:59 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,129,262 times
The couples that I know who decided not to have children (or ended up not having children) to my knowledge did it for other reasons than financial (primarily infertility).

However, I do know many couples (including my husband and me) who decided not to have another child (a 2nd, or 3rd or 4th child) mostly because of financial reasons.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:01 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I don't know anyone who didn't have children for financial reasons.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:06 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I don't know anyone who didn't have children for financial reasons.
I know, or rather knew since they moved away, a couple. All were more focused on accumulating wealth and enhancing their portfolios. At least that's what they said.

Old 12-01-2018, 03:06 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Hubby and I chose not to have kids because we didn't want to have kids. There were a lot of reasons, of which financial was one, but the primary was just that neither of us like children or felt any desire to procreate.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:36 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Hubby and I chose not to have kids because we didn't want to have kids. There were a lot of reasons, of which financial was one, but the primary was just that neither of us like children or felt any desire to procreate.
I never really wanted to have children. I was the last child and didn't know a thing about them. I thought them messy, loud, and expensive. They are all of that and more.

I once told my mother that I was leasing my son. When she asked me what I meant, I told her that I, we, were making all of the payments, but would never own him.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:53 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
Yes, I know people who have decided not to have kids for financial reasons. This conversation came up just a few days ago. We discussed how expensive daycare is, and to buy a house in Silicon Valley meant they'd both have to work. So, they'd both have to work, could barely make their house payments and would have to pay for daycare, which they would also barely be able to afford...

and then the conversation goes on from there. What happens when the child gets sick or school has a half day or the child is on vacation and daycare isn't an option? Then, who takes time off of work to be with the child, and would that be a problem?

And, then they'd need housing with more bedrooms. And then it goes on from there to not being able to afford to visit family in another country (depending on the situation), and the cost of clothing and healthcare for kids, and not having freedom or time alone....

I think it's really great that young people have the option not to have kids now, and society, for the most part, accepts that they have that option, as opposed to my generation when everyone was expected to have kids.

And kids are a LOT of work. And they turn into teenagers, which is not fun. And there's no guarantee that they will like you or want to be in your life, or even if they do, they could get a job on the other side of the world and you won't see them or their kids, etc., etc.

So, bottom line, I think it's really great that people are taking all of the realities of parenting into consideration, and making informed decisions as to whether or not they really want to have kids or not.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:51 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by submart View Post
Anyone decide not to have children for financial reasons? Was cost the #1 reason why you decided not to have kids?
While a long story, the guts of which are irrelevant to Frugal Living, I'll list my reasons (decision made, in 1997 at age 29, to have a vasectomy).

In order of importance:

1. Contempt/disgust for anchors in my life
2. Cost/frugality
3. The world does not need more people
4. I am a ranger/loner

Old 12-01-2018, 11:13 PM

605 posts, read 335,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by submart View Post
we had only one child for this reason

Had no idea that the world was subsidizing kids. Cost for our health insurance, the 3 of us was the same as our neighbor with 6 kids. Sadly I didn't learn this until it was too late to have more babies.

It isn't as costly as just doubling the cost of one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living