U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 03:52 PM

11,633 posts, read 19,851,886 times

Advertisements

And what’s cheap is relative. With my problematic feet, if I can get a pair of Vionics for 60 bucks on sale, that’s cheap. My husband has no feet issues and wears a standard size, and buys sneaks at Walmart. Or at least will when his last pair of found Nikes is worn out. Some guy who wore the same size at one of our properties moved, and won’t be tossing out worn once, kept in box Nike’s anymore. He’d get several pairs a year from that guy.

Old 12-25-2018, 04:09 PM

3,388 posts, read 2,964,509 times
I don't pay a whole lot of attention to shoes that other people wear. I've always been surprised at what other people notice. I try to buy quality and something that won't hurt my feet. If I can find a good end of season clearance, I may buy multiple pairs. I attended an event last week where someone commented on my family's shoes. Took me by surprise. I said 'thank you' the first time the lady commented. She later commented that me, my husband and child were all wearing nice shoes. I wasn't sure of the proper response. I said I had bought them on sale which was true, but I was also keenly aware that maybe our shoes made us stand out in socioeconomic status although our shoes were probably all less than $50 each because I buy them when they are sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I don't pay a whole lot of attention to shoes that other people wear. I've always been surprised at what other people notice. I try to buy quality and something that won't hurt my feet. If I can find a good end of season clearance, I may buy multiple pairs. I attended an event last week where someone commented on my family's shoes. Took me by surprise. I said 'thank you' the first time the lady commented. She later commented that me, my husband and child were all wearing nice shoes. I wasn't sure of the proper response. I said I had bought them on sale which was true, but I was also keenly aware that maybe our shoes made us stand out in socioeconomic status although our shoes were probably all less than $50 each because I buy them when they are sale.
That could be more that people aren’t dressing well anymore. In fact, a lot of people are wearing clothing that should be worn only in the house for the big bad chores and the next stop for these clothes is the rag bag, or take off the buttons and zippers and toss.

Old 12-25-2018, 06:02 PM

12,282 posts, read 16,999,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
And what’s cheap is relative. With my problematic feet, if I can get a pair of Vionics for 60 bucks on sale, that’s cheap. My husband has no feet issues and wears a standard size, and buys sneaks at Walmart. Or at least will when his last pair of found Nikes is worn out. Some guy who wore the same size at one of our properties moved, and won’t be tossing out worn once, kept in box Nike’s anymore. He’d get several pairs a year from that guy.
Keep an eye on DSW. SO is the shopper here and he found Vionics flip flops in black with patent leather straps for 10$ for me. Size 10. You

Old 12-26-2018, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Keep an eye on DSW. SO is the shopper here and he found Vionics flip flops in black with patent leather straps for 10$ for me. Size 10. You
Will do. Thanks!

Old 12-26-2018, 11:39 PM

275 posts, read 115,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I don't have feet or shoe problems, if anyone does they should buy special arch supports or shoes for their needs.

I've never been to a podiatrist nor ever had an foot issues with any doctor.
Same here.
I have never paid more than 20 bucks for a pair of shoes, and I have never had any problem with my feet. Heck, I am always running, walking, and exercising in cheap shoes and I have never had any issues with those activities being impaired by the so-called quality of the shoes. I think the whole "use good shoes or else" thing has been overrated and blown out of proportion. But to each their own...

Old 12-26-2018, 11:41 PM

7,811 posts, read 2,920,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raise_the_Black_Flag View Post
I don't know how you do it. I was into names when I was younger but cheap shoes just wreaks of pauper
How does anyone know where you bought your shoes?

Old 12-26-2018, 11:42 PM

275 posts, read 115,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raise_the_Black_Flag View Post
I am not judging anyone by just their shoes. I am judging myself and I can't imagine I am alone on this.

When I see a hick woman with cheap shoes -- she most likely is the type who goes to the barber shop to get a haircut since that is cheaper as well. At least she looks it. Further said person that I have worked with and known is nearly always a low income earner.

Maybe you are so offended by this because you are one as well? Stuff happens.
LOL Your priorities and all messed up.
But whatever floats your boat, right?

Old 12-27-2018, 12:13 AM

30,049 posts, read 32,628,047 times
Names? For SHOES? You do realize they go on the dirty ground right? I never could see spending money on shoes beyond finding something that looks/feels good to you and lasts awhile. But NAMES? DESIGNERS? God no. That's too much like designer TP or garbage bags or something.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:33 AM

7,149 posts, read 12,620,370 times
I have 3 pair of shoes to my name and one of those are a pair of sandals. My main pair are the Walmart brand black work shoes (Not Dr. Scholl's but whatever Walmart pushes), $28. I wear them for every day shoes, work shoes, and church and special occasion shoes. Then I have a pair of tennis shoes I paid $14 for at Walmart. If somebody thinks they look cheap, more power to you. I'm the one who paid for them and I buy for comfort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or