U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 09:33 AM

30,234 posts, read 48,394,176 times

Advertisements

I have a pair of work boots, steel toe & shank, they cost around $200.

I have a pair of insulated muck boots, that may have cost $60.

I mostly wear cheap running shoes that I can buy for $12 to $18. I like them black and I try to keep them clean, so I can wear them with a suit. They tend to fall apart after 4 to 6 months of wear, so I but these about twice a year.

I also have Roman sandals, I end up spending a bit more for them, as they tend to fall apart quickly, I may spend $40 of these.

40 years ago my only personal vehicle was a touring motorcycle. For the most part, I wore Levi jeans. But I found that nightclubs would never allow me to go inside if I was wearing 'blue jeans'. Then I noticed that stores offer denim jeans in black. I shifted to wearing black Levis and suddenly I was allowed into the nightclubs. At night, nobody can tell the difference between dress slacks and black Levis. So I still had the protective clothing that I needed for riding a motorcycle, and I could go into any establishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 11:28 AM

211 posts, read 69,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
And what’s cheap is relative. With my problematic feet, if I can get a pair of Vionics for 60 bucks on sale, that’s cheap. My husband has no feet issues and wears a standard size, and buys sneaks at Walmart. Or at least will when his last pair of found Nikes is worn out. Some guy who wore the same size at one of our properties moved, and won’t be tossing out worn once, kept in box Nike’s anymore. He’d get several pairs a year from that guy.
Am I reading this correctly? Your better half would get sneakers from the garbage from one of your tenants and did this several times?

Why is the hubsters going through this guys garbage and why would this dude be throwing out sneakers so often? And man I like saving money but holy. I did buy a pair of Gucci sneakers from a thrift store but they were practically new. I think I would draw the line at sneaker shopping in my tenants garbage. I wonder if he noticed "hmm my landlord is wearing snekers I threw out."

That's a good 2 for 1 right there u get rent and sneakers. just goes to show why some are renting and why others are landlords :/

Last edited by Raise_the_Black_Flag; 12-28-2018 at 11:39 AM..

Old 12-28-2018, 11:50 AM

4,748 posts, read 2,010,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have a pair of work boots, steel toe & shank, they cost around $200.

I have a pair of insulated muck boots, that may have cost $60.

I mostly wear cheap running shoes that I can buy for $12 to $18. I like them black and I try to keep them clean, so I can wear them with a suit. They tend to fall apart after 4 to 6 months of wear, so I but these about twice a year.

I also have Roman sandals, I end up spending a bit more for them, as they tend to fall apart quickly, I may spend $40 of these.

40 years ago my only personal vehicle was a touring motorcycle. For the most part, I wore Levi jeans. But I found that nightclubs would never allow me to go inside if I was wearing 'blue jeans'. Then I noticed that stores offer denim jeans in black. I shifted to wearing black Levis and suddenly I was allowed into the nightclubs. At night, nobody can tell the difference between dress slacks and black Levis. So I still had the protective clothing that I needed for riding a motorcycle, and I could go into any establishment.
You wear suits with cheap black sneakers?

Old 12-28-2018, 01:02 PM

6,462 posts, read 6,856,523 times
Quote:
cheap shoes just wreaks of pauper
So? What do you care how much someone spends on their shoes?

And as many others have said, "cheap is relative." So what's cheap to one person is costly to another.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:08 PM

211 posts, read 69,946 times
Am I not allowed not to be bothered by anything? Every time I am here it is like: why does that bother you ...why why why?

Because! that is why. BECAUSE.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:43 PM

30,234 posts, read 48,394,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
You wear suits with cheap black sneakers?
If I need to dress 'up' I wear a dress uniform, afterall I am in the Navy.

But if it is just a monthly meeting at the lodge, or a public hearing black sneakers work fine in a suit.

Old 01-02-2019, 01:26 AM

11,651 posts, read 19,873,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raise_the_Black_Flag View Post
Am I reading this correctly? Your better half would get sneakers from the garbage from one of your tenants and did this several times?

Why is the hubsters going through this guys garbage and why would this dude be throwing out sneakers so often? And man I like saving money but holy. I did buy a pair of Gucci sneakers from a thrift store but they were practically new. I think I would draw the line at sneaker shopping in my tenants garbage. I wonder if he noticed "hmm my landlord is wearing snekers I threw out."

That's a good 2 for 1 right there u get rent and sneakers. just goes to show why some are renting and why others are landlords :/
Not landlords, custodial service. Not going through garbage. The shoes were left in the original boxes, wrapped in original paper, next to the recycling dumpster, for anyone to take.

Why is he tossing barely worn clothing? Who knows. We have one lady who pays us to take her clothing in for donation and get a receipt. Her daughter works for several clothing manufacturers and gives her mom tons of clothing. Maybe hes got a gig like that.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:44 AM

23,305 posts, read 29,320,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raise_the_Black_Flag View Post
Am I not allowed not to be bothered by anything? Every time I am here it is like: why does that bother you ...why why why?

Because! that is why. BECAUSE.
you sound like my wife.

no, you arent allowed to be bothered by things that dont have a negative impact on you.

Old 01-02-2019, 12:26 PM

6,812 posts, read 3,797,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you sound like my wife.

no, you arent allowed to be bothered by things that dont have a negative impact on you.
I'd amend that slightly. You're allowed to be bothered by things that don't directly effect you, but it's a waste of mental energy (since total strangers won't care about how you feel about their choices).

Old 01-04-2019, 09:21 AM

531 posts, read 217,027 times
I couldn't care less if people think my shoes are cheap looking. Nobody in my 60 years has ever commented on my footwear, except for drill sergeants .

However, as far as running shoes, it pays to get a measure of quality.

As far as every-day shoes, it depends on how much you are on your feet. If you work in an officve and are at your desk all day, spending excessively doesn't accomplish much IMO.

It pays to not be too paranoid about something that may make contact with dirt/mud chewing gum or smelly substances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or