U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 09:57 AM

27,614 posts, read 59,727,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post

However, as far as running shoes, it pays to get a measure of quality.
And walking shoes and hiking shoes and working shoes... every kind there is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 10:55 AM

5,610 posts, read 5,703,841 times
I love my Payless slippers.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:09 AM

23,287 posts, read 29,307,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
And walking shoes and hiking shoes and working shoes... every kind there is.
is there a place to find ratings on shoes based on "quality" factors that specifically relate to the health of your feet? i dont mind paying more for quality but i do mind paying more for "quality" that doesnt really provide me with a better value.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:28 AM

35,898 posts, read 44,058,075 times
I only wear leather, because it conforms to the foot. I buy them on sale.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:23 AM

27,614 posts, read 59,727,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
is there a place to find ...
I'm sure there is.
Start with the podiatrists suggestions linked in post #5:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/53865265-post5.html

Old 02-10-2019, 12:42 AM

23 posts, read 6,567 times
My ballet flats (my only shoes) were dirt cheap, only a few quid. They are super worn out now (I work as a waitress) but I keep wearing them. Don't want to spend money for clothes or shoes as the moment. Will wear them as long as I can keep them on my feet.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:55 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,258,668 times
Hmmm.

Last spring i bought a pair of $12.99 shoes from Wally world because my other shoes sole wore flat and were getting slippery to wear when its wet out.

A year later, after daily wear ( though granted not all day), they are still in great shape. I expected theyd be worn out by now, but no, they appear to be good for another year.

Nope, i dont feel weird wearing them, they work and that is all i ask.

Nor do they make my feet hurt, nor have I developed calluses or anything like that affecting my feet, and i do have a podiatrist. If fact he said my feet skin was in perfect shape, and the best he's seen in a long time. He was very pleased.

Nope, they are sensible, frugal, but not weird.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:13 AM

4,538 posts, read 1,628,249 times
Why would anyone care about the brand of shoes you are wearing? I'm an engineer, and I can't ever remember anyone ever commenting on clothes or shoes, ever. I wear hiking shoes because they have good support for my arches, but I have never spent a single moment wondering what someone thought about them. It's a foreign concept to me.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:14 PM

50 posts, read 17,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raise_the_Black_Flag View Post
I don't know how you do it. I was into names when I was younger but cheap shoes just wreaks of pauper
First off, it's reeks, not wreaks, lol.

Secondly, how do YOU tell what's cheap or not?

Quote:
what is the right price point for shoes to be quality and not cheap? my wife isnt supposed to spend more on my shoes than is needed to fill the need. they dont last forever but they dont get destroyed so fast either. i dont think people can tell that I am wearing $20 shoes.
Depends on the purpose of the shoe for me. I pay around $250 or so for my work boots, but I have to have steel toes, meta guards, and in a tiny little size 3 1/2 women's, and I only buy American made, so that seriously narrows down choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
When I watch women totter around in their crippling shoes I just have to laugh at the vain stupidity.
LOL! I used to think the same, till I was given my Grandmother's shoes after her passing (We both have little feet). Mostly dress heels from Aigner, but she did have one perfect little pair of black 4" Jimmy Choo's and they are AMAZING! Much comfier than you would expect.

Quote:
Who says I noticed your shoes. I'm talking about mine. And sorry you go feel like a success with your cheap drty shoes. I want mine clean and decent quality. This doesn't make you a better person. Just slovenly w/o pride

Good luck working where I do without looking like a coal miner at the end of the day, lol. EVERYTHING gets dirty, and it's pointless to try and clean your shoes.

You can NOT get coke, coal, iron, steel, oil, tap magic, etc...out of boots.

Quote:
i may have already mentioned that my wife has a lot of expensive shoes and most of them dont seem to be doing anything good for her feet. that is why earlier i asked people who claimed that they buy more expensive shoes for the benefit of their feet which specific features should i look for in a quality shoe. i dont believe i got an answer on that yet.
For me, I look for good oil resistant soles that are solid construction so they can be re-soled easily. Then I look for only leather construction on dress shoes and work boots, since they will be more durable, last longer, and clean easier. Then I look for the insole construction Make sure it's durable and gives you enough room to switch them out or add another insole if needed.

My work boots for example are Bellville's. Solid leather, re-soleable if needed, military compliant, and made in America. They are what I wore in the Corps, so I still wear them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, I guess if all you have that you can be proud of is wearing name brand expensive shoes, then you go for that.

Quote:
When I see a hick woman with cheap shoes -- she most likely is the type who goes to the barber shop to get a haircut since that is cheaper as well. At least she looks it. Further said person that I have worked with and known is nearly always a low income earner.

Maybe you are so offended by this because you are one as well? Stuff happens.

how much ? my last pair is a 25 dollar pay less. My "new ones" are from my parents that I know that they got cheap somewhere.

I got to the barber shop, since he's been my best friend since 2nd grade and my hairstyle hasn't changed since then, lol. It's always one length, down to my waist. Color has changed totally from black naturally, to pink, red, purple, blue, teal, and currently natural, lol.

Why would ANYONE in their right mind take the chance on paying $25 for some unknown quantity to start chopping on your hair?! Especially when I know I can give Kevin $10, and he knows exactly how much to trim. Not to mention, the conversation in the shop is SOOOO much better, lol. I catch up on all the local gossip and the new talent for the HS football team, lol.

Can't judge every woman the same, I'm one of the top earners at my job due to being educated and willing to do my job correctly. (And, I'm the only one in the shop that can program and run the EDM and Waterjet both, lol!)

You say your shoes are $25 and that's expensive?!?!

Heck son, I pay that for 2 pairs of my work SOCKS!

Quote:
So where do you get your angle from? It's just "my name is joe, I'm 'frugal'.I wear ratty shoes, drive a beater , work a whatever job, and read magazines when I'm on the head.
You need a time out. Go to the Petty Corner!

Quote:
I don't drive the car any more since it has mechanical problems, and my other car is a low mileage 5 yr old bimmer, but I still think my old car was a nice car. Despite being 20 years old it had AC, ABS, Leather, 2 tone paint, 4x4, fog lights, power everything including sun roof. Old Ford Exploreres are nice. Often some porsche cayenne or other newer SUV would park in front of it I would be like 'the only difference between my car and that one is the name and a bunch of speed and horsepower you hardly get to use."
You think ABS, AC, paint, and a sun roof make a vehicle nice?!?!?!

HAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!

What's a "bimmer"?

We have 2 trucks, 2 bikes, and the project car in the garage, and the project 4x4 in the barn.

Ain't a ONE of them older than 1995, all paid off 100%, and all in mechanically better shape than 70% of the cars on the road today.

You seriously tried to compare a newer Cayenne to an old Ford Explorer?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
That could be more that people arenít dressing well anymore. In fact, a lot of people are wearing clothing that should be worn only in the house for the big bad chores and the next stop for these clothes is the rag bag, or take off the buttons and zippers and toss.
Absolutely! When the "trend" to wear pajamas in PUBLIC came around, I knew we were DOOMED!

Old 02-11-2019, 07:39 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,258,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
>snip<

I mostly wear cheap running shoes that I can buy for $12 to $18. I like them black and I try to keep them clean, so I can wear them with a suit. They tend to fall apart after 4 to 6 months of wear, so I but these about twice a year.

>snip<
Thats what i always do. My current $12.99 pair do have a gray slim "swoosh" look alike on the sides, though. If i need to wear them with a suit, I'll black out that thin gray line with a sharpie or i have black shoe polish, either one will work.

I couldnt find an all black pair when i bought these last year. They have lasted a year with daily wear.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or