Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 11:43 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I don't know how you do it. I was into names when I was younger but cheap shoes just wreaks of pauper
And who said anything about cheap shoes?
Is there a question there? Some help you need with something. Is your comment prompted by some situation, or you're just commenting to comment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 11:51 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what is the right price point for shoes to be quality and not cheap? my wife isnt supposed to spend more on my shoes than is needed to fill the need. they dont last forever but they dont get destroyed so fast either. i dont think people can tell that I am wearing $20 shoes.
Really? You believe that?

Unless you are buying slightly used good shoes on ebay, we can tell.

But that doesn’t matter. 15 years from now, your feet will be telling you that you wore cheap shoes, and the dialogue won’t be pleasant.

I know people won’t believe me on this. But it is likely true.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:00 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Forget the names... focus on the quality.
Shoes are one area of the budget where going cheap is just plain foolish.
There's a huge difference between expensive-but-good-quality (as in well made, durable, and good for feet) and expensive just-for-show. I'll pay more for good quality and proper fit but I won't pay more for a fancy color, fancy decoration, fashion mogul labeling. Who cares a rip if the shoe is made from Nile crocodile if you can't stand in them for more than 5 minutes? When I watch women totter around in their crippling shoes I just have to laugh at the vain stupidity.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:13 PM

561 posts, read 324,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Cheap is a relative term. There's absolutely no question you should wear well made, good fitting shoes. None.

But what brand name they are, and especially what brand name they have on the outside, is irrelevant nonsense. Paying extra for red soles or this week's style of air Jordans is lunacy.
Exactly this! I buy certain brands only because they are comfortable and fit well. If I found a cheap brand that fit the same need I would buy those. I could care less about the name itself it's the quality I'm looking for.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:15 PM

561 posts, read 324,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

But that doesn’t matter. 15 years from now, your feet will be telling you that you wore cheap shoes, and the dialogue won’t be pleasant.

We can tell but, to be fair, many of us don't care. If the cheap shoes serve you well then good for you.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:15 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcahacker View Post
Exactly this! I buy certain brands only because they are comfortable and fit well. If I found a cheap brand that fit the same need I would buy those. I could care less about the name itself it's the quality I'm looking for.
Well, it's all a theoretical argument for me. I wear such a wide size that there simply aren't any cheap shoes in my range - and very few high-end ones, either. I can select from about half the Hitchcock catalog or go barefoot.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:13 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:

First of all this thread is not about feet, it's about the person being insecure about not having expensive brand name shoes.

A $25 pair of sneakers can be as well made as a pair of $200 Air Jordans because you are paying for the name and for the money the namesake got from the deal.

If you think name brand shoes are going to keep you from having foot problems as the women who wear high heeled Louboutins about their comfort.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:22 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raise_the_Black_Flag View Post
I don't know how you do it. I was into names when I was younger but cheap shoes just wreaks of pauper
That is funny because to me, the Nike logo reeks of idiot.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:39 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
That is funny because to me, the Nike logo reeks of idiot.
I shall ever think of them as the National Indian Knitting Enterprise. (And props to anyone who gets the reference without googy cheating.)

Old 12-12-2018, 01:39 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:

i absolutely believe that most people cant tell that i am wearing "cheap" shoes. i buy cheap sunglasses and i know for a fact that most people cant tell. it seems most people assume that i have more expensive things because of their perception of my financial status.

im also not certain that paying more for a shoes assures me that i am getting the quality that will protect my feet in the long term. what are some of the things that more expensive shoes have that you are talking about? my wife spends a lot of money on expensive shoes and i dont think that they are particularly great for her feet.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 12-12-2018 at 02:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living