U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 03:51 AM

6,378 posts, read 6,775,826 times

Advertisements

I buy for quite a few people, of all ages -- about 40 people including family, friends and "thank you" baskets for my dentist and doctors offices and my CPA. And I take treats in for work on Thanksgiving and Xmas. (and Super Bowl Sunday)

Some gifts are as inexpensive as 5.00....my upper limit for any one person is usually $40.00. But steaks ordered for a couple of people -- by the time you add shipping could take a few gifts above $50.00. The shipping on food, costs more than the darn food! So I average $20 person -- if that average even means anything, when the per-gift price range varies so much

So all-in-all, I'd say I try -- and usually do -- keep everything under $800.00 (AND that includes overbuying with gifts left over for another year or occasion.) I'm the kind of person who likes to have gifts on hand, just in case. Yes, I have a gift closet.

Among the people I buy for are older friends of my late mom. So eventually they'll pass on, and off the list. But by then maybe a niece of nephew will have had another kid, so maybe my list won't dwindle after all.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 08:27 AM

2,567 posts, read 1,185,142 times
Gift giving is pretty easy for my family as we stopped with the "cousins" and siblings aged out a long time ago. I do pick up a bottle of booze for my siblings. the kids are easy because they usually want very specific things.

LOL, actually for me this year it's been on entertainment stuff for me. Yesterday I went to see the Nutcracker for the first time since I was a little girl. later this month I've got a play (Dear Evan Hansen) and a holiday show. the kicker is we always eat out after the events.

Saturday is my family dinner, lol I should have made it potluck. oh well, next year

Old 12-17-2018, 10:05 AM

10,678 posts, read 5,243,933 times
I only buy gifts for my immediate family members, not any cousins, not even my sister. She gets free food when she comes Christmas Day.

Old 12-31-2018, 05:06 PM

127 posts, read 51,154 times
Well when you're single and childless without close family members the holidays can be cheap. Maybe even take advantage of buying yourself some gifts on sale.
With a family, I suppose that means cutting down on the time that the Christmas lights are up. And buying blankets to cut heating costs.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:02 PM

271 posts, read 112,678 times
No such thing as 'holiday spending' for me. One of the best things about being an atheist is that you always have a good excuse to get rid of all the absurd gift-giving during the holiday ("I don't celebrate the birth of no fictional character; therefore, no Xmas gifts from me" ).
But seriously, I will never get the whole thing. Spending money on crap that people will most likely not care about in a week's time is bad enough, but spending money on crap that people will most likely not care about in a week's time simply because a societal construct forces me to? Heck to the no. I love my friends and family, and they love me, and we don't need no stinking pointless spending to celebrate a holiday that is all about that, spending.

The holidays in a major reason for people to overspend and get into debt (only to complain about it post-holiday and then do the cycle all over again every year).

Old 12-31-2018, 09:15 PM

698 posts, read 555,575 times
gift wise we spent about $1k. real budget buster was a last minute trip to mexico over winter break.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:26 PM

2,567 posts, read 1,185,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
No such thing as 'holiday spending' for me. One of the best things about being an atheist is that you always have a good excuse to get rid of all the absurd gift-giving during the holiday ("I don't celebrate the birth of no fictional character; therefore, no Xmas gifts from me" ).
But seriously, I will never get the whole thing. Spending money on crap that people will most likely not care about in a week's time is bad enough, but spending money on crap that people will most likely not care about in a week's time simply because a societal construct forces me to? Heck to the no. I love my friends and family, and they love me, and we don't need no stinking pointless spending to celebrate a holiday that is all about that, spending.

The holidays in a major reason for people to overspend and get into debt (only to complain about it post-holiday and then do the cycle all over again every year).
Wow, outside of the anti religion side rant, you mean to tell me the people who supposedly love you cant figure out a gift you would like past 1 week.
Personally I find that sadder than anything else you said.

Happily my husband and kids know my likes and dislikes very well, I assure you the gifts they have blessed me , including those to celebrate the birth of our lord and saviour are treasured 10, 20 30 years later.

I've never once gotten anything I would consider "crap".

Old 01-01-2019, 07:48 AM

23,483 posts, read 22,466,347 times
I bought a couple of gifts for my son, and we both spent more money on food than anything else. It was a very nice holiday.

Old 01-01-2019, 01:24 PM

12,163 posts, read 16,884,617 times
The presents we gave were well received and are being used. Nothing broke the bank.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:13 PM

1,085 posts, read 582,497 times
I spent less than 1% on Christmas and that was including 2 birthday gifts that happen about the same time and gas to get to family gathering. Everybody still got something nice. Spent more this holiday than previous because I didn't have time to do comparison shopping. Did a bunch of sewing and fabric was expensive. It was still a lot of work and running around getting stuff done, but nice holiday. The hard thing is both sides of my family have way way more income than I do and spend accordingly. I wish they wouldn't because it makes me feel bad. They are always happy with what they get though. I do as much as we can without running up a credit card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living