U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-08-2019, 11:27 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
23,479 posts, read 22,466,347 times
Reputation: 28673

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
Because you have fallen hook line and sinker for the whole social construct of "Gotta gift people crap on the 'birth' of my imaginary friend from the sky so nobody I know thinks I am a grinch"; cheers to you!
No. It's not about that. The Lord knows that I'm no longer strictly Christian. Christmas was fun when I was a kid. One Christmas my sister gave me her favorite doll. That's probably the best gift that I ever got. She was six years older, but it had been her favorite doll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-08-2019, 11:30 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
23,479 posts, read 22,466,347 times
Reputation: 28673
Her name was Judy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2019, 07:52 AM
 
271 posts, read 112,554 times
Reputation: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
No. It's not about that. The Lord knows that I'm no longer strictly Christian. Christmas was fun when I was a kid.
Meh.
Christmas is always fun when one is a kid. Lots of brightly colored shiny things all around you and people giving you presents for apparently no reason. It's all part of the construct that society pushes.
For kids, it is awesome obviously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2019, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia/South Jersey area
2,564 posts, read 1,184,169 times
Reputation: 8625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
So you really didn't blow your budget out of the water as you claim. You had the money for that trip in a fund designed for that purpose but you decided not to use the emergency fund for an emergency but rather spend the holiday budget for an emergency? Why the heck do you even have a budget if you don't use it for the intended purpose? What's next, spend the food money to payback the holiday money, and spend the housing money to payback the food money; all the while saying your blowing budgets out the water? If you just used the emergency fund for it's intended purpose, (the emergency you just had) no budget would have been blown anywhere.
Wait, Why are you telling people what to do with THEIR money??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2019, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia/South Jersey area
2,564 posts, read 1,184,169 times
Reputation: 8625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
Because you have fallen hook line and sinker for the whole social construct of "Gotta gift people crap on the 'birth' of my imaginary friend from the sky so nobody I know thinks I am a grinch"; cheers to you!
LMAO. oh look a stupid statement has found a friend. ***sighs*** so many things to address, but where to start.

I'll pick one, "fallen" is a subjective term. I don't "fall" for anything. I gift for one reason and one reason only and that is because I want to. The absolute greatest thing about being a senior is I can say "f-it" to anything I don't want to do.

google frankie and grace and you will see my alter ego.

So sorry to bust your "people of faith" can't think mantra but I could care less who thinks I'm a grinch, a drag queen or the Queen of England.

Next, if you had bothered to READ my original post, you would have read that I don't have an issue with giving gifts, you would have read where it said my ENTERTAINMENT is what makes me blow a budget. so what social construct are you talking about? if you're going to troll could you at least stick on point.

but that's for the cheers, I am a drinker so I'll lift my glass in salute.

ok you're trolling and since my NY's resolution is to cut silliness out of my daily life I'm off to update my ignore list.. cheers back atcha

Last edited by eliza61nyc; 01-09-2019 at 10:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2019, 05:39 PM
 
Location: North Idaho
21,370 posts, read 26,668,695 times
Reputation: 40442
We don't exchange gifts, but the big expense was a 20 pound standing rib roast. We didn't need that much meat, but I had to buy the whole thing in order to get the price. $6 a pound for usda choice certified Angus beef is a good price in my area. Half of it is wrapped in butcher paper in my freezer.

I was pushing this huge thing around in a shopping cart and a woman comments on what a big roast I am buying. I replied that I couldn't pass on the price and I was going to take it home and cut it up and freeze part of it.

She looked surprised and said that she'd never thought of that.

The store was selling a lot of small standing rib roasts for $9 ( which is still a good price) or $12, depending on which one you chose. But I always have a bit of wiggle room in the food budget so I can pick up the good deals on stuff my family likes to eat. My family likes standing rib roast and it was an excellent price. Beef freezes well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2019, 12:34 PM
 
271 posts, read 112,554 times
Reputation: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I don't "fall" for anything. I gift for one reason and one reason only and that is because I want to.
Keep telling yourself that enough times and you will actually believe it (especially during the holiday season).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2019, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Raleigh
7,423 posts, read 5,498,225 times
Reputation: 10171
My wife is really good about being astute and proactive with these things. Basically, we only bought her Dad and My Dad a gift during the holiday run up. She regifted a (really nice and somewhat costly) makeup kit that didn't match her skin tone to my mother. We bought her mother and grandmother their gifts on our vacation in August. She bought another gift in bulk and we split it among my siblings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2019, 10:32 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
23,479 posts, read 22,466,347 times
Reputation: 28673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
Keep telling yourself that enough times and you will actually believe it (especially during the holiday season).
You're the Energizer Bunny of negative comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM
 
Location: equator
2,881 posts, read 1,241,138 times
Reputation: 7037
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Many years ago my family, which is large, decided to stop gift giving. Such a relief. My friends and I just get together.


Very, very low for spending.
Same here. No one in my large family gives gifts, except to the little kids of their own. But we have great get-togethers when possible.

DH and I have never given gifts. We'd rather take a trip/have an experience. It makes life so much simpler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top