Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 06:38 AM

3,259 posts, read 4,980,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Let me reiterate my earlier posting. It's better in some respects to have your own transportation than to rely on public transportation.
Fixed that for you.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:21 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,552,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
It may surprise you to find out there are places where public transportation is reliable, and often faster than driving. New York City, of course. San Francisco, parts of Chicago. True, they are rare gems in the US. I imagine that in Alaska there is only the railroad with weekly service, mostly for off-gridders.

I can't imagine ever wanting to live in any of those cities.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:47 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,738,274 times
I moved to NYC 20 years ago and have not once owned a car here. There is no point. I rent a car when needed. I love living car free!

Old 12-29-2018, 11:52 AM

1,802 posts, read 1,233,779 times
When I lived in Park Slope , Brooklyn, the car was just a hassle. First broken back windows, despite the ubiquitous “no valuables” warning. Then, I decided to keep it unlocked. That backfired when I was greeted by a homeless guy sleeping on the back seat.

Much easier to be carless in most of NYC.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:05 PM

26,586 posts, read 36,531,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I can't imagine ever wanting to live in any of those cities.
And I can't imagine ever wanting to live in Wasilla. Trashiest place in the entire state, although North Pole seems to be catching up.

Erik, it's nice that Alaska has been good to you. It's been good to me, too, and I've also been blessed with extremely good health, as I suspect you have.

Why are you trolling this thread? If you're trying to make yourself look good, it isn't working.

I'm not sure how old you are — I've seen you post that you're in your mid-70s, yet other posts indicate that you're younger. Anyway, the time may come when giving up your car isn't something you'll have a choice about.

The OP has a choice. Although I'm with you in that there's no way I'd try to go without a car, I don't see the point of wagging your finger at her or anyone else who makes that decision.

Anyway, if I were the OP, I'd use some the savings from not having to maintain a vehicle for an Amazon Prime membership. You can have just about anything delivered, including sod or cat litter or whatever else might be tough to carry on a bus.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-29-2018 at 02:28 PM..

Old 12-29-2018, 08:19 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,552,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
And I can't imagine ever wanting to live in Wasilla. Trashiest place in the entire state, although North Pole seems to be catching up.

Erik, it's nice that Alaska has been good to you. It's been good to me, too, and I've also been blessed with extremely good health, as I suspect you have.

Why are you trolling this thread? If you're trying to make yourself look good, it isn't working.

I'm not sure how old you are — I've seen you post that you're in your mid-70s, yet other posts indicate that you're younger. Anyway, the time may come when giving up your car isn't something you'll have a choice about.

The OP has a choice. Although I'm with you in that there's no way I'd try to go without a car, I don't see the point of wagging your finger at her or anyone else who makes that decision.

Anyway, if I were the OP, I'd use some the savings from not having to maintain a vehicle for an Amazon Prime membership. You can have just about anything delivered, including sod or cat litter or whatever else might be tough to carry on a bus.

I participate in forums that interest me. The title asks if anyone else has gone car-free. I gave my answer and some additional information. Nothing wrong with that. I've seen a lot of your posts and disagreed with some, but I've never questioned why you posted what you did. None of my business. And nowhere have I ever claimed to be anywhere in my 70s. And I'll take Wasilla over any megalopolis.

Last edited by AlaskaErik; 12-29-2018 at 08:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.