U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 11:11 AM

28,233 posts, read 11,941,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
What about pork tenderloin? I can usually find it $3/lb, it's always delicious and it's very lean. There's not much to trim off before cooking, so very little waste.
Or forego the tenderloin and get a whole pork loin, you can usually find them for $1.50 a pound. If you find a nice butcher they will cut it in half and save you from having to store 10-12 pounds of pork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 01:44 PM

174 posts, read 30,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
But these items are on the "grocery list" when one goes to the "grocery store", so I think they can fairly be considered groceries, no? This begs another question, then.........what do "you" (the general population) consider "groceries" when grocery shopping?
Food is my definition. Cleaning supplies, toiletries and such have their own budget as does pet food since it's harder to cut back on that stuff. Sure you can possibly buy cheaper brands but the amount consumed pretty much is what it is. Toilet paper or soap isn't something I'm willing to cut back on. Food, on the other hand, I think almost everyone has some room to trim if they are honest about it. When I go through the check out all the non human food stuff gets put at the end of the belt so I can what my subtotal is at before that gets added on.

Old 12-27-2018, 02:02 PM

174 posts, read 30,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I buy my dish washing liquid at Dollar Tree. But mostly I use the dishwasher and buy the Walmart brand of powder dish washer soap and it cost less than $4 and lasts over a month.
Everyone thinks Dollar stores are the bomb but you have to watch closely. Many, many times I see the exact same things at Walmart (Suave shampoo comes to mind) for only $.88 or the Dollar Tree version is a smaller package size as in the case of many deodorants. They do have some things cheaper but not everything. You have to be smart and figure out prices per ounce to see if you're really getting a deal or not. It's like any other store where they take a loss on some things to get you in the door and then gouge you on others because "it's only a dollar!" so it seems cheap.

Old 12-27-2018, 02:15 PM

8,931 posts, read 15,891,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcahacker View Post
Everyone thinks Dollar stores are the bomb but you have to watch closely. Many, many times I see the exact same things at Walmart (Suave shampoo comes to mind) for only $.88 or the Dollar Tree version is a smaller package size as in the case of many deodorants. They do have some things cheaper but not everything. You have to be smart and figure out prices per ounce to see if you're really getting a deal or not. It's like any other store where they take a loss on some things to get you in the door and then gouge you on others because "it's only a dollar!" so it seems cheap.
I'm happy to pay an extra 12 cents if it means I can park close to the door, easily find what I'm looking for a few feet inside the store, and get checked out by a human being in a timely fashion.

Old 12-27-2018, 02:25 PM

6,543 posts, read 8,171,577 times
If frugal is where you want to be, consider other places you might be spending money where you could be saving much more. $tarbucks is one example (or any coffee shop). You can make your own coffee or tea at home. Smoothies are another example. You can use a high speed blender and make the same drinks as are made in any smoothie or coffee shop. I have a Vitamix (and have had one since 1994), but there are other brands as well. This year I've gotten into making my own cold brewed coffee. Easy peasy and delish.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:02 PM

10,950 posts, read 19,303,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Or forego the tenderloin and get a whole pork loin, you can usually find them for $1.50 a pound. If you find a nice butcher they will cut it in half and save you from having to store 10-12 pounds of pork.
I buy that too and it's good but the tenderloin is really good. OP was talking about lamb or salmon and I think pork tenderloin is that good but cheaper.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:05 PM

28,233 posts, read 11,941,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I buy that too and it's good but the tenderloin is really good. OP was talking about lamb or salmon and I think pork tenderloin is that good but cheaper.
That's true it is better, but if you brine the pork loin and roast it with a good rub, it's pretty darned good.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:27 PM

17,222 posts, read 21,201,348 times
Quote:
ROFL that brings back memories. When I was young and first got married my husband was in the Air Force we didn't have base housing yet so we were perpetually broke. We went to a food bank and got a 20 pound bag of lima beans and a case of tuna. We ate virtually nothing but lima beans and tuna for two weeks. Some 50 years later I still get nauseous when I think about lima beans and tuna.
What's interesting about this, is that even though prisoners of war during WWII in Japan only got rice to eat, they still loved rice after they were free. I'm referring specifically about the book King Rat by James Clavell.

I can understand getting sick of tuna and lima beans, though, haha.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:29 PM

17,222 posts, read 21,201,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcahacker View Post
This is very true, especially on some canned veggies, where you can buy a case or a pack of multiples at Costco or Walmart for only around 50 cents per can.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:03 PM

23,311 posts, read 22,322,198 times
Quote:
That's true it is better, but if you brine the pork loin and roast it with a good rub, it's pretty darned good.
Yes, it is, especially when it is a BOGO. My son once found a buy one get two free at an Acme market! He said that he had enough pork to last for many months.

I've never had a weekly budget for food, toiletries, or household cleaning products and necessities. I like to take a longer view. A mortgage or rent and utility payments are due monthly. That's still the short view.

My mom used to produce, voila, an amazing Christmas dinner because she plotted and planned for months to make it happen. That's what I'm always looking at. She only told me about it once when I was quite young, but I'm glad that she did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or