U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM

28,226 posts, read 11,941,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
Do you know how they can sell it for so much cheaper than a supermarket? Are the items almost expired or old?
You just need to keep your eyes open when you go to Dollar Tree or 99 cent only, they have bargains like that all the time. I like to make Chicken Piccata but capers at local grocery stores are around $3 a jar, I get the same brand, same size for a dollar at Dollar Tree, nothing I have ever bought is close to the expiration date, so I'm not sure why can offer stuff for 1/3 the normal price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM

5,568 posts, read 5,625,757 times
The store is more expensive. I spent $66.48. A couple bucks for non food items. $200 is too low. I need to shoot for between $260 and $280.

I was able to cut in other areas. I will get a better idea when I adjust to the expenses of my home. I still do not have a firm grasp of my salary yet. I get paid twice a month. Sigh! Work in progress.

Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,134,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
But these items are on the "grocery list" when one goes to the "grocery store", so I think they can fairly be considered groceries, no? This begs another question, then.........what do "you" (the general population) consider "groceries" when grocery shopping?
"Groceries" to me means food only.

The soap, the tp, the laundry items ( all of which i CAN buy at the "grocery store " i classify under a once monthly line budget item as "household", and shop only once a month for them.

Food i try to keep at $30/week or less for the two of us.

Of course it helps if you can cook from raw scratch. As i was formerly a cook in 4 star restaurants, i very well can.

I shop carefully at Walmart supercenters and aldi.
Best to you...

Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM

16,018 posts, read 13,435,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
But these items are on the "grocery list" when one goes to the "grocery store", so I think they can fairly be considered groceries, no? This begs another question, then.........what do "you" (the general population) consider "groceries" when grocery shopping?
Merriam Webster says its anything bought at a grocery story including household supplies. So yes, dish soap would count.

Old Today, 10:06 AM

614 posts, read 852,769 times
I just came back from a trip to the local Safeway -- I am definitely a "cherry picker" meaning I carefully read their sale flyer and only buy what is on sale. I also take advantage of their online coupons -- you create an account and "add" coupons to your card so when you check out they come off automatically. This week I also used my 3 gas rewards (worth 10 cents per gallon) to save an extra $4 off my bill. I used it towards groceries (they just started allowing this) because the gas rewards expired tomorrow and I still have a half tank of gas so not worth using the rewards on 8 gallons of gas.

This large Safeway also ALWAYS has a great marked down meat department -- so I bought two good sized packs of petitie sirloin steaks and they came to $4 each. Also bought a small chuck roast -- final price after 50% off was $5. The trick is to find the marked down packages for items that were already on sale -- thus getting a double discount.

My only cautionary note is to check your receipt very carefully. When there are lots of confusing discounts it is easy to miss mistakes. There were TWO mistakes on this bill --one they charged me $2.99 a lb for ambrosia apples instead of the sale price of $1.99. Also bought a large bottle of Palmolive dish detergent -- supposed to be on sale for $2.99 from the regular price of $3.99. I caught the apple mistake in the store and got it remedied but missed the Palmolive -- somehow the guy charged me $4.99 for the bottle. So I have it sitting on my buffet with receipt and you can be sure that is going back. The mistakes are NEVER on the side of the customer so keep a close eye. It is a pain but worth it -- there were $4 in mistakes on my bill. Being frugal does take time but I find the grocery savings are well worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or