U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 12:08 PM

5,093 posts, read 1,682,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I cut my cable tv in November and am saving $130 a month. I still have a landline but I'll cut that next, probably in a year or so.
I have a "landline" through Vonage mostly to give me a reliable business number and a slightly more convenient house phone. At $19.50 a month, I've considered cutting it but the options are a second-number system on my cell account at $4-10 a month... and leaving me with essentially only one phone connection. The extra $10 is worth it to me, at least as long as I need two numbers.

I also strongly dislike having every business I deal with having my cell number; when any of them get ahold of it it's a perpetual annoyance to get routine calls while I am driving, out somewhere, etc. where I probably can't do more than say I will call back when I am at my desk. Basically, no one has my cell number except my kids; I can completely ignore calls on it except to glance at the caller ID. Vonage's excellent VM and email notifications will let me know if any important calls come in on the "land" line.

Anyone paying much more than $20 for a house phone can do better, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 06:51 PM

1,447 posts, read 710,354 times
Cut my landline long ago. Could easily live with no cable. Can't live without internet.

Not sure how wireless works without a router - wouldn't you still need an ISP to use the router?

Old 01-15-2019, 06:53 PM

1,447 posts, read 710,354 times
I pay $ 116 for cable and internet. Company said if I cut back to just internet, it would be $ 70, so I thoguht not really worth it, not much savings, so kept both.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:17 PM

5,093 posts, read 1,682,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I pay $ 116 for cable and internet. Company said if I cut back to just internet, it would be $ 70, so I thoguht not really worth it, not much savings, so kept both.
That's $46, around $600 a year. If you can do without cable, it's just throwing the money away.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:56 PM

2,962 posts, read 1,272,739 times
Never had cable. We've had just Netflix for years and years. No landline anymore but yes, internet is not negotiable. We have tons of older DVDs if we get desperate! Really appreciate online banking these days. I wish we had online-everything but things are in the Dark Ages here so we actually have to stand in line to pay bills, LOL. Good thing we're retired. Just stood in line to pay annual property taxes today: went up from $45 to $69!

Old 01-16-2019, 09:43 PM

3,082 posts, read 1,126,395 times
Cable: If you can read and there is a library nearby, there is a free substitute, There are a lot of really good authors nowadays. Local station ca be picked up free with a paper clip, or at worst (30 miles), with a $20 antenna,

Internet: Hotspot with a sim-card works fine, with enough data for surfing, maybe a few hours for 50c a day, but it won't support much music or videos..

Landline: A $10 Tracfone will give you a couple minutes a day for $80 a year. How long do you really need to talk on the phone. Make unlimited free calls through Google, not sure how data-thirsty they are.

Prioritize your needs, and the above may get you down to $20-30 a month.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:14 PM

17,453 posts, read 21,498,664 times
For anyone else who is really low income:

Internet:

Comcast/Xfinity and ATT both have $10/month internet for low income people. I've tried them both, as I qualify for both, and the Comcast one is a little faster, so that's the one I have now. They only promise around 10mbps, but Xfinity is usually around 17mbps. That doesn't sound fast enough, but it actually is for everything I do. I always assumed I needed really fast internet to stream video, but it turns out I don't. For online video streaming, and normal browsing, it's actually never too slow to do what I need it to do.

Phone:

There are free lifeline govt-subsidized cell phones you can get, but I've tried a couple of them and they're just absolutely horrible. I've suffered with my free phone and free cell service for almost 2 years and I just gave up today and signed up for the cheapest prepaid Verizon, bring your own device for $30/month. Some things are just worth spending money on. I take public transportation now, and I don't want to be stranded somewhere with a dead phone, in case of an emergency, etc. So, I don't recommend the free phone, unless you can deal with not having service or having yet another cheap phone crash and burn on a regular basis.

But.....my "landline" is my computer. I have a Google Voice phone number. I think there was an initial charge of around $20, with no recurring fees. I'm not sure you even need to pay for a phone number to use the Google phone option in your G-mail. It's saved me when I needed to call Assurance Wireless (free phone service) yet again to tell them my phone died.

I also use it when I"m sitting with my laptop and my phone is charging across the room and I don't feel like getting up. I can just make a phone call with my computer.

I don't have a TV, although some day I'd like to get a big flat screen with high definition to hang on the wall. That's way down the list, though. I just use my laptop.

For TV/cable:

I don't pay for any TV service. I can stream free movies, listen to books, etc., through a service my library subscribes to, called hoopladigital.com. I got a library card from every library in the nearby cities which subscribe to hoopla. Then, I can sign into hoopladigital.com with one of my library cards and watch the max downloads for that library - usually from 3 -6. When I use up the ones for San Jose library, I can sign in with my Santa Clara card, and then my Sunnyvale card, etc. There are some shows on hoopla for free that Amazon Prime video charges for.

I also sign up for free trial periods of TV services (streaming), when there is a show I want to watch. I wait for the season to be over, then sign up for the free trial and binge watch the show I want to watch. There are a ton of them. Right now I'm watching a great TV series called 800 Words on Acorn TV. You can do the same with free trials of CBS All Access, Amazon Prime, etc.

And for news, I can watch pre-recorded news on YouTube, including my local news, PBS, etc. You can also watch some special live streams on YouTube of live news events or things like the congressional hearings, and you don't have to sit through commercials, normally.

And, my laptop has a DVD player, so DVDs from the library are also always an option for me.

Anyway, you don't have to completely give up everything, if you qualify for the cheap options for low-income people, and you're clever.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:37 AM

1,392 posts, read 1,052,209 times
No cell signal in my area, landline is a must.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:43 AM

24,622 posts, read 31,790,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I have a "landline" through Vonage mostly to give me a reliable business number and a slightly more convenient house phone. At $19.50 a month, I've considered cutting it but the options are a second-number system on my cell account at $4-10 a month... and leaving me with essentially only one phone connection. The extra $10 is worth it to me, at least as long as I need two numbers.

I also strongly dislike having every business I deal with having my cell number; when any of them get ahold of it it's a perpetual annoyance to get routine calls while I am driving, out somewhere, etc. where I probably can't do more than say I will call back when I am at my desk. Basically, no one has my cell number except my kids; I can completely ignore calls on it except to glance at the caller ID. Vonage's excellent VM and email notifications will let me know if any important calls come in on the "land" line.

Anyone paying much more than $20 for a house phone can do better, though.
That is EXACTLY why I still have a landline. I despise having to give out my cell # to businesses who then routinely sell it. Every single time I have done so, there is a marked increase in the number of spam calls to my cell. Iíve decided to completely stop doing it. Iíll give my landline # only. I can call my voicemail for messages.

That said, I do need to look into a cheaper line. Now that I no longer have a true copper landline (finally caved and went to Fios) it makes no sense to keep paying Verizon that much money.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:46 AM

24,622 posts, read 31,790,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Landline: A $10 Tracfone will give you a couple minutes a day for $80 a year. How long do you really need to talk on the phone.
LOL. I can talk on the phone to my sister for an hour, easy. Do it all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or