U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 01:14 PM

24,687 posts, read 31,820,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
This thread is about living without cable, internet, or landline. Skype is a free alternative to a landline. If you don't want to save money using it, and would rather pay for a land line instead, that is fine. But it is an alternative.
For elderly people, not so much. If you donít have elderly parents that are challenged by things as simple as a smartphone, well you would not understand then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 07:43 PM

3,919 posts, read 2,231,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
It's for anyone that wants to USE it. Many have ZERO interest.
I tried using it, when someone requested i get it.

I found it didnt work well on my phone.

So i dont use it or have it anymore.

But no one else i know uses it.

And i dont have to worry if " i dont have my hair done".

Old 01-30-2019, 12:38 PM

3,412 posts, read 2,107,884 times
We ditched TV almost 15 years ago. Never once have wished we still had it. Ditched our landline for Ooma (5 dollars and change per month), but kept our old number on Ooma because so many people had it. We have comcast internet and Verizon phones.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:35 AM

7,950 posts, read 4,725,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppycock View Post
Good warning. We use money orders bought from the post office for .75 cents to pay the house payment.
I use Wells Fargo online banking. The checks they mail are not drawn on my checking account. There may be other banks which use this method as well, but not all do.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:38 AM

7,950 posts, read 4,725,294 times
Quote:
This thread is about living without cable, internet, or landline. Skype is a free alternative to a landline. If you don't want to save money using it, and would rather pay for a land line instead, that is fine. But it is an alternative.
Can you Skype 911?

Old 01-31-2019, 01:22 PM

5,523 posts, read 4,926,179 times
There are a few good apps that offer free TV streaming. Pluto, Crackle, Stirr and Tubi are good for watching if you have internet and a streaming device or computer.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:47 PM

24,687 posts, read 31,820,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Can you Skype 911?
Certainly a good point.

I’ve used Skype plenty of times, as a novelty. It’s nowhere near what I would consider a decent alternative to a regular phone call. I have FaceTime on my phone, but it’s only used when I need to show someone something. And of course, neither are useful for non-smartphones. My dad has lost his damn cell phone more times than I can count. My parents don’t even text ( it’s just too different and difficult for them) so there are many older people that need just a reliable basic phone service at home.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:51 PM

35,963 posts, read 40,371,485 times
Quote:
It's for anyone who wants to download it.
And you have no control over whether or not people you need to contact for, say, business purposes, choose to download it. But they will, more than likely, have phone contacts.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:55 PM

35,963 posts, read 40,371,485 times
Quote:
Can you Skype 911?
911 is an important issue for people who live remotely, and are somewhat offgrid, whether by choice or by circumstance.

Going through this now because of my parents, who are beginning to hit the "aging" category, and live rurally. Most cells are completely useless from their farm, and the few that do get a signal are very, very spotty. To combat this, they went back to a landline, as they had no reliable way of contacting emergency services. But landline services are at this point also not widespread where they are. They had a landline phone reinstalled, and it goes out constantly. My sister, who lives semi-locally (we do not) is constantly going head-to-head with the company, who blames old underground cables, etc. Their only internet option is satellite service, and it, too, is unreliable, and goes out frequently. They did try to do satellite phone for a few years, and it it was far too unreliable to be relied on.

Old 01-31-2019, 03:29 PM

4,515 posts, read 1,714,958 times
Quote:
Can you Skype 911?
In some countries, yes. In the US, not yet, but they are working on it.

There are workarounds for that. For example any cell phone is capable of calling 911 free, even without a service plan. There are even cell phones designed to only make free 911 calls.

But again the title of this thread is "Living without cable, internet, landline". That would suggest that the person would be using only wireless services. Which would include 911 calls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or