U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 09:18 PM

16,726 posts, read 7,422,932 times

Advertisements

OP, another thought. Consider renting a room in a house if you want to live in Seattle or Tacoma. Some people with really nice houses rent out a bedroom or two, these deals are not all student slums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 10:49 PM

17,238 posts, read 21,224,893 times
You might consider being a traveling nurse. They make pretty good money, and from what I understand, sometimes housing is included or there is a stipend of some kind. You can always use Uber if public transportation won't work. It is expensive to own a car. As long as you live in an urban area, no need to drive, in my opinion.

Also, if you try the traveling nurse gig, it will give you the opportunity to check out different areas, and get paid while you do it. You may find you like living somewhere you never would have imagined.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:38 PM

127 posts, read 45,329 times
I'm entitled to live wherever I want thank you very much. I think picking a place with fewer income taxes and higher pay will be beneficial. It seems all the cheap places have a less than stellar job market and crap pay. Buying a house is out of the question for me. I have no idea where I want to settle and I certainly am never going back to my hometown that I hated.

I really think now is the time to pay off student loans as quickly as possible, especially as interest will continue to accrue. I'm not sure how long exactly I want to stay in nursing. I am definitely using it as a stepping stone for an art career. And so far my job is paying my bills and helping me with that. Plus I also have enough to save each month.

I think 401K are becoming a thing of the past. I haven't ever stayed at a job long enough for that to be a question. Right now I am working per diem and want to eventually transition into freelance. I don't exactly have a 9-5 5 days a week routine that's going to happen so I have no idea how to even approach a 401k.

I have no ties anywhere and I'm a single, 25 year old woman. I think getting rid of my debt quickly is going to be a good decision. I feel really bad about having the debt especially with a lot of credits and no degree (which I WANT to finish badly) I just don't want the interest to accrue or something happens to where I can't work as a nurse anymore and my loans aren't paid off. But I'm not certain at all it can happen when I have a huge chunk of my income taxes being taken out each month (for me that's around 1000/mo. So yea, low/no income taxes are a priority for me right now)

I really appreciate all of the responses. But it seems that the best places for me to move are where there's public transportation. Now I know that there isn't going to be no other place that comes close to nyc in terms of it. I've also checked the job listings in my field and i could possibly ditch the car for a few more years.

I am open to the idea of renting until I get most of my loans paid off, perhaps around 60% or so. But I definitely will want my own place eventually and I don't envision myself going into my 30s still renting with strangers, or, god forbid college age people.

Right now I pay $800 for a room and I've seen listings in Tacoma for apartments in that range on a few sites. I'm pretty certain I can manage. I just want to make more sound financial decisions. I can't deny that things may not get any better here in nyc, especially with them raising the minimum wage.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:16 AM

16,726 posts, read 7,422,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
I'm entitled to live wherever I want thank you very much. I think picking a place with fewer income taxes and higher pay will be beneficial. It seems all the cheap places have a less than stellar job market and crap pay.
Well, of course. There is more competition for housing in a desirable place to live because more people want to live there. Duh.

Cheap places are cheap because they are not popular places to live. One of the reasons they're not popular is wages are low. The best way to find good wages in a cheap place is generally with government.

Quote:

Right now I pay $800 for a room and I've seen listings in Tacoma for apartments in that range on a few sites. I'm pretty certain I can manage. I just want to make more sound financial decisions. I can't deny that things may not get any better here in nyc, especially with them raising the minimum wage.
Yes, there are $800 apartments in Tacoma. They are generally not places most people with options would choose to live. Personally, I'd rather live in a room in a nice house in a great neighborhood than a rundown apartment in a slummy neighborhood, but you'll have to make your own call on that.

Voice of experience here - I've been living in the Puget Sound area for some time, and believe me, if there were decent $800 apartments, I'd be living in one. There aren't, so I'm not.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:16 AM

203 posts, read 63,475 times
Why does everyone act like student loans are the worst thing in the world? I think tv is the worst thing in the world. Yet most wouldn't think twice about spending 150 dollars to watch mindless garbage. My loan payment was like 175/ month .. Sometimes I was in forbearance even. I would not change a thing. It took me like 13 years to pay it off i think... whoa holy now that I think about it...

Old 01-01-2019, 01:35 AM

1,493 posts, read 303,422 times
Quote:
Where should I move to quickly pay of $25K of student loans?
In with a sugar daddy!

Seriously though...why move? The area of town you live is more important than the town itself considering equal work opportunities. Live as close to work as possible.

That said, a more expensive area with higher wages MAY help as the 25k will be smaller compared if that makes sense.

Keep as much savings as you can...cash helps smooth rough spots.

See if you can rent a house that allows subletting, then rent rooms out...do not split things equally. Rent the rooms at market rate If possible, make your portion as small as possible. At one point my renters paid my mortgage and all utilities...my share was zero!

See if you can continue taking enough classes to qualify deferring the SL payments until you are more settled.

Skip the car if you can manage it.

Skip all things unneccessary including any junk food/soft drinks etc. that stuff really adds up.

When in survival mode skip everything but bare necessities.

Concentrate on your employment, the more successful you are the more you earn. The more you earn the less impact the loan payments will seem.

Old 01-01-2019, 05:34 AM

10,107 posts, read 3,446,366 times
I'm wondering if you should move at all at this stage of your life. Moving isn't cheap!
Stay in NYC for a while and get a decent block of time on your resume. You don't need a car in NYC -- but many other places out there will require one (unless you like taking the bus)... Then take your time researching some other areas. I love Arizona -- if you like good weather and outdoor activities that is what I would advise checking out. You're on the right track with paying off your debt as soon as you can.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:07 AM

16,197 posts, read 8,429,400 times
Quote:
Hi! So to begin I am a single, 25 year old female with some loans I'm looking to pay off. I am an LPN in NYC currently making 25/hr. and working full time. I've managed to save a hundreds each month into a savings account. My loan payments start in late March.

I am looking to move to an area with no income tax and a decent economy. I am ruling out the southeast because I grew up there, got bored so I honestly do not want to move back.

I am looking for a place that has a good healthcare preferably homecare field (I currently work in homecare and love it) to work in with a very low or no income tax. Some issues that I have are:

1. I am in the process of working on my driver's license. I never had family willing or able to help out so I haven't been in a good situation to get my driver's ed until now.

2. I've never owned a car. What suggestions do you guys have to keep expenses minimal? And in my field I am pretty certain I will need a car.

I have considered several places and as of now these are the choices I've narrowed it down to

1. Washington (I am aware it can get expensive in places but I am looking at Tacoma as a place.)
2. Nevada (I've heard jobs are scarce)
3. Arizona
4. Utah (I'm not Mormon however)
5. Texas (maybe. It's supposed to be a good place for LPNs with good wages and low cost of living.)

I've also chose these states (aside from Washington) because of the warmer weather. Any other suggestions for states? And living with family isn't an option. I'm really looking to pay this debt off within 2-3 years if it is possible. Right now I'm losing around 1000/mo in income taxes so it would be great to have that much more money to put towards debt.

Thanks!
Texas for sure offers advantages with good income and reasonable cost options. Tacoma is not bad in my opinion. Another option in Washington state is Tri Cities which tend to have good incomes, low cost of living (for Washington), and gets the most sun in the state. In Arizona, Phoenix is hopping...they do have a state income tax in Arizona though.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:09 AM

16,197 posts, read 8,429,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I'm wondering if you should move at all at this stage of your life. Moving isn't cheap!
Stay in NYC for a while and get a decent block of time on your resume. You don't need a car in NYC -- but many other places out there will require one (unless you like taking the bus)... Then take your time researching some other areas. I love Arizona -- if you like good weather and outdoor activities that is what I would advise checking out. You're on the right track with paying off your debt as soon as you can.
I agree that people often don't account for the cost of moving which is substantial but she is onl 25 and could recoup the move cost in a few years on what she would save from leaving NYC.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:09 PM

127 posts, read 45,329 times
Thanks for all the responses.

That was useful to know that about that particular tri-stare area.

Options for LPNs are really limited especially since I can't handle the LTC. There's only 2 other reputable home care agencies. There are others but they are rated poorly. My commute is starting to kill me. All of the available opportunities are in Brooklyn and I live in the Bronx. They don't have any cases where I live. And the commute is 2 hours each way.

I am also starting to feel the strain of the taxes and low quality of life (I feel like I have none)I am working alot just to make a comfortable salary. If I cut hours I cut my salary to something that is too low for me. I absoultely will be moving this year. I'm not sure when but I really have to go back to doing 3 12 hour shifts in a week. And I'd prefer not to be losing 200 a week in taxes.

The idea on the house is smart! I wasn't sure if I could rent a home and then rent the rooms out again. Do people do that?

Texas is a last resort. I worry it's too much like Tennessee where I grew up. And I know you need a car to live there. The stuff I own could easily fit into a car or really a few boxes that can be shipped. The biggest thing I own is a wooden easel. The rest are largely smaller items and clothes. I own no furniture.

I really appreciate the responses they are helpful. I am tired of being frustrated of the taxes and the fast paced life here. I never imagined things would get this bad now. I agree on getting more experience. I'll need at least 6 months of experience to move on to the other home care agency. That won't be until April. But the fact that I have so few options for employment would mean that I may have to move out of necessity. Texas, Washington and Arizona have a lot more opportunities for me (and more job stability I feel) even though populations are a lot smaller.

And with the minimum wage going up, I sniff hyperinflation on its way. I think it's better to get out while you can.

Question though, would moving into a room or hotel be a good short term option? And what's the quickest way to get into a job after/before I move? I don't want to be out of work for more than a month really. Being in healthcare I figure I may have an advantage.

Last edited by Montezia; 01-01-2019 at 03:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or