Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 09:47 AM

104 posts, read 84,864 times

Advertisements

Something we are considering in the near future but for only for half the year. We have seasonal jobs
Thanks for sharing any experiences you have
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 10:29 AM

1,305 posts, read 855,905 times
Would be good to have more information....I did indeed move from the Seattle area in order to save $$$, but I'm retired, so that's kind of a different story. Would you need to maintain two residences? I don't think you could save much if that were the case. I am saving a boatload of money at the moment, my total rent/utilities/insurance now cost me about the same as my monthly mortgage back in Washington state. I think in all, I am saving about $1,000 a month. Might help you get more accurate responses if you clarify exactly what your plan is and what kind of work you do, etc.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:34 AM

Thank you Unicorn . saving 1k is impressive. Good job!

I am more interested in others experiences overall than trying to apply it to any personal hypothetical circumstance.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:46 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Moved back to Alabama from South Florida. The various savings have been substantial. Consider that when you are working in a high cost area you AREN'T working for yourself much of the time, but for others that know you can't avoid them, such as utility companies, insurance companies, landlords, etc. Gross income means nothing. What counts is what is left after required expenses. When you start crunching numbers, like commuting costs, COL costs, etc., working at some jobs you can end up losing money.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:51 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmond1 View Post
Anyone move to a less expensive State or Country to save $
Of course. Well, they try to.
However, saving on expenses at the price of lower overall income and other nice things?
Well, it takes some real calculation and evaluation to actually come out ahead.

Quote:
We have seasonal jobs...
Do you also have fully funded retirement plans? What about health insurance?
What about the skill sets needed to get one of the actually well paid jobs in the lower COL area?

Old 01-30-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
However, saving on expenses at the price of lower overall income and other nice things?

What about the skill sets needed to get one of the actually well paid jobs in the lower COL area?
Thanks for your reply. Want to repost my reply here just in case you missed it.

I am more interested in others experiences overall than trying to apply it to any personal hypothetical circumstance.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Thanks for your reply. Want to repost my reply here just in case you missed it.

"I am more interested in others experiences overall than trying to apply it to any personal hypothetical circumstance". Anyone move to a less expensive State or Country to save$ ?? Did you change jobs?

Old 01-30-2019, 11:40 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
With very few exceptions, COL, QOL and income opportunities go hand in hand. There is always a minority who can take a high(er) income profession to a low-cost area, but in general, expect both income and overall quality of life to take a dive if you move to a low cost of living area. If sitting around a rural area watching the crops grow is worth what you can make there, with likely reductions in all public services and infrastructure and low to zero chance of career growth, have at it.

It's the big boast of those on the slope to retirement - post career growth, post kids, post desire for any kind of entertainment or culture opportunities. Once your life is coming to a stop, you may as well do it somewhere cheap and at an economic standstill. And, bonus, you'll never run out of material on how much you're saving there.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:23 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
With very few exceptions, COL, QOL and income opportunities go hand in hand. There is always a minority who can take a high(er) income profession to a low-cost area, but in general, expect both income and overall quality of life to take a dive if you move to a low cost of living area. If sitting around a rural area watching the crops grow is worth what you can make there, with likely reductions in all public services and infrastructure and low to zero chance of career growth, have at it.

It's the big boast of those on the slope to retirement - post career growth, post kids, post desire for any kind of entertainment or culture opportunities. Once your life is coming to a stop, you may as well do it somewhere cheap and at an economic standstill. And, bonus, you'll never run out of material on how much you're saving there.

My word, you're a lazy thinker. So basically, if you don't live in a large, high-tax state you will automatically live somewhere straight out of Green Acres?

Old 01-30-2019, 01:24 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
Well, I moved, but not to save money. I moved to the midwest from Atlanta because I had to for a job. Atlanta hadn't recovered from the recession, so I had to go. I don't like where I live at all, BUT I save a ton. I'm maxing the 401k + saving $1500 a month, on average. Kind of a blessing since the great recession wiped me out. Having said that, ready to move back to Atlanta regardless of cost of living. Gotta have some quality of life in addition to saving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living